Anyone still have records?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lead, Jan 7, 2005.

1. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I found an old record in the garage yesterday. Of course, we don't have a record player anymore to play it. I got nostalgic and the kids got tired of listening to me, but, I miss the old records. Remember when you could buy a record from your favorite band and get all kinds of goodies inside free? Pink Floyd posters and bumper stickers, Beatles photos, lyric sheets, etc. You pay alot more for a cd and might get lyrics but theyre so small you cant read them. Oh well, off my rant now. I sound like my father, talking about my music. :rolleyes:
  2. Jay

Jay New Member

We still have hundreds of records. 45's, 33's, and 78's. We also listen to them on an old JVC turntable. 95% of the records have been transferred to cassette tapes, but we still have the records. Wife's sister is an Elvis fan, and has two complete sets of everything he ever put on record. One set she plays, and the other set is UNOPENED, in a footlocker that lives in the local bank vault. That second set is a better investment than the stock market. ;)
  3. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I sold all of mine a couple of years ago, :( They can bring a pretty penny depending of the band and the condition :) , Elvis unopened YEP better than the stock market
  4. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Even cassettes are going the way of the dinosaur. I was in a Wally World recently and they no longer carry them, just cd's. :eek:
  5. Jay

Jay New Member

you guys just aren't old enough

I still have an old 8-track player/recorder that still works, along with over a dozen new blank 8-track tapes for it, and about 50 new cassette tapes. We can play/record CD's, but one way or another, we're gonna enjoy our music. You should see the looks when someone sees the 8-track player in my truck. No, the truck is a '99 vintage. ;)
  6. mrs njretcop

mrs njretcop New Member

I still own 78's, 33's, 45's, 8-tracks and cassettes. Did you also notice that they are fazing out Video tapes? Way too expensive to replace all of those.
  7. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Have any of y'all ever checked out the "virtual gramophone" site? A guy took a vinyl record and scanned it, then wrote a decoder program to "play" the scan. It's all very primitive and takes a good ear to pick out the music from the noise, but it's still really interesting.

Digital Needle - A Virtual Gramophone
  8. William81

William81 New Member

I have several hundred from the late 60's to late 70's. Many are unopened. I have sold several that were collectable in the past five years. I still listen to some of them as the music will never likely be released on CD
  9. Pipskicks

Pipskicks New Member

My dad still has tons of his, but he bought something to transfer the records either to tape player or to the computer (I forgot where he transfered it to). He said it was pretty tough to find an old record player because his was broken.
  10. woodsrunner

woodsrunner New Member

I still have some of my records. Most are in pretty sad shape after moving around so much. About 12 years ago I moved back here and stored my records for almost two years. In the meantime I managed to replace 3/4's of them with CD's. When I finally had a place I could set up my stereo, I found my turntable was shot. I bought the last turntable my local radio shack had. Played two records on it and went and put everything away. My records were so worn they sounded like garbage compared to the CD's.

I have an almost new belt drive radio shack turntable if anyone wants it I'll dig it out of the closet. It's still in the factory box. I paid almost $200.00 for it. I'll let it go for 1/4 that.
  11. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Ten years ago, a guy finally got thrown out of his mom's house when she died. He was in his 40's.

I saw crates of records by the curb a few weeks later. Found five Cat Stevens albums I've always wanted.

Even though he is shunned, I still like the music (musicians have a funny way of overlooking the faults of religion, gov't, personality).
  12. Eagle Guns

Eagle Guns New Member

I have a load of old records.One is a Johnny Cash that the picture is so old he looks like a kid. :)
  13. toolmaniam

toolmaniam New Member

The only record player I have is a Victrola from the 1920's in mint condition...Plays like it was new.
  14. ken w.

ken w. Member

I have about 800 records as I worked for a radio station when they went out of buisness.I went to a record convention to see if anyone would buy them all and they offered me 25 cents each :( . So,I'll keep them awhile.
  15. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:D i still have a donald duck record player that was my grandmother's. :D but i dont have any records..... & i have no idea if it works! :rolleyes: