Anyone tried a 1911 in .41 AE?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by arkyboy, Sep 9, 2007.

1. arkyboy

arkyboy New Member

I'm not familiar with the .41 Action Express, but I ran across a new 1911 barrel chambered for this round on an auction site for $15. delivered, and thought what the heck. Brass is pricey for it, but I reload, and can make more out of .41 Rem. Mag brass if I need to, Is this round any better than my 10mm? A friend of mine has a S&W revlover in .41 mag and I like the performance of it, but from what little I've read on the AE version of the round, it's not quite as stout. Any comments on this guys?
    arkyboy
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I borrowed a .41 AE at the range about 25 years ago. This was before the 10mm and .40 S&W were around.

I ran one magazine through the gun. All I remember is that it kicked about a much as a .45 ACP. Less recoil and blast than a .41 magnum.

I'm guessing the .41 AE and the 10mm have about the same muzzle energy.
  3. arkyboy

arkyboy New Member

Thanks Oneida Steve. A little "hands on" info was what I was looking for. There is not a whole lot of information available about this cartridge. What is available seems to be old reports that came out right after the cartridge came on the scene, before the .40 S&W/10mm Auto became popular, and later info after the success of the .40/10mm, and demise of the .41 AE. The reports on the cartridge from the 2 different time periods seem to net totaly different views of it. In the beginning it was touted as a very powerful cartridge, close to the Rem. .41 Mag., but the 10mm seems to have out performed it. It's hard to get a good picture of what the round really is, but I think I tend to go with the later reports of it being slightly more powerful than the .40 S&W, and slightly less than the 10mm. 10mm is about the upper limit I want as far as power goes in a 1911, and I was worried that the .41 AE would be too much for reliability in the gun. Brass is available, but pricey @ about $1.10 a pop for this round. I want to be sure that I can shoot the thing without hammering a frame or slide before I invest any more into this project. Thanks again! ;)
    arkyboy
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I would've said 'hell ya' to a barrel for $15, of course I'd have to see its condition, too.
  5. arkyboy

arkyboy New Member

It came in yesterday. Brand new and appears to be very good quality. It's an Action Arms barrel.
    arkyboy