Anyone use Lyman 310 dies...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gunguy, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Couldn't help myself, got 'em on ebay in .44 special caliber so you know they are ancient.

Finally figured out what everything is and how they work, but the seating die doesn't seen to have a crimp that I can actually see.

Guess I'm use to roll crimping with modern dies and this don't get done with 310 dies.

The squeeze handle is fun when things get slow around here.

This 310 six die set came with grip handle, .44 spl. cake cutter, a full length brass case sizer, and even a lead bullet sizer die...that don't do gascheck bullets.

But have another ebay prize coming in the mail soon...a Lyman Tru-line Jr. iddy biddy press.

Will have to order an adapter J shellholder from Lyman so it can take modern shellholders...unless someone out there has an old .44 special one that will fit this press.

Please tell me your experiences with the 310 dies, wether tong tool or Tru-line Jr. press.

Gunguy

PS: I'm in the market for a set of 310 dies for .45 Colt caliber.

Attached Files:

2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've used the 310 since the early 60s. I carried one and a set of dies and components when treking in Alaska. I've used them for pistol and (small) rifle cartridges.

I've used them at the range when developing new loads, too. I've seen them used at the range by hard-core bench-rest shooters, who will shoot all day on 5 rounds of brass.

Many of the dies will not place a hard crimp on the neck, as they depend on the tension of the neck to hold the bullet. I've loaded many thousand .45ACP, 38Spl, .357, 9mm and 32-20 on mine with few to no problems. They don't full-length resize, so I bought the full-length resizer for the 32-20 in standard size, as the chamber on my Martini is enough different from the revolver to require this.

I love the tool.

Pops
  3. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Thanks, Pops for the reply.

I know I've got good tools here, I understand they still make this press in Austrailia under some other name to this day.

I will try and get by without the usual roll crimp and hope the seating die's neck tension will get the job done.

This Lyman Tru-line Jr. press just showed up by Fedex, and is getting a paint job right now...the wife is raising hell with me for doing it indoors...but its cold outside.

It came with a No. 26 shellholder guess it fits the 222 and 223 cartridge...maybe the 30 carbine too.

Still need a universal J adapter shellholder, or a .44 special shellholder.

Jim :)
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I haven't looked at the Lyman catalog for a couple of years, but the 310 was still there last time I looked. I have seen the dies at shows, new from the factory.

Hmmmmm, Have to do some digging, I guess.

Pops
  5. Ross95966

Ross95966 New Member

Gunguy,
    My tong tool crimps .44 Special just fine. I bought it in about '58 when I got my new SAA Colt.
    You seem to have the improved True Line Jr. linkage with the Y yoke.
    My favorite feature of the 310 dies is the primer seating chamber.
    Do you have steel or alloy handles?
    Reading posts I note that few wish to slow down much while producing ammo. I suppose that is why Lyman for awhile let the 310 nap. I have a number of mostly unused progressive presses. But why should I let the machines have all the fun?
    Cheers from RINO-infested California,
    Ross
  6. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Hi Ross, always glad to meet fellow 310 addict.

The tong tool is probably the lite metal ones, not heavy enouh to be steel.

Finally fixed my shellholder problem, C&H makes an adapter extender shellholder, I merely turned it down on the shank to the bottom so it would fit into the Tru-line Jr. press shellholder station.

It was a little tricky to bore out the primer hole through to the shellholder but it works fine...after I made a new primer punch rod to reach through it.

And yes the press has the Y-yoke hinge thingy...see attachment.

Wouldn't happen to have an extra 310 die lock ring would you?

Jim

Attached Files:

7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Dang it! Ther ya go again. Making me droooool al over my keyboard. :D

Pops
  8. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Here's another angle shot of it.

GG

Attached Files:

9. Ross95966

Ross95966 New Member

Gunguy,
    Sure do. email me your snail mail address and I'll pop one in the post.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross
  10. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Ross, please check your private messages on your email alert...sent you the info you requested...and many thanks.

Gunguy :)
  11. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

This is the 310 adapter thread to fit on the No.55 Lyman powder mesure to be inserted on the TLJ press. A gent down in the southland named Brian came through for me. As you can see it don't have no lock ring.

Can't get parts like this anymore from Lyman.

Gunguy

Attached Files:

12. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Another angle shot showing a lot of orange.

Notice the shellholder fabrication mount to hold a .44 special shellholder...or any other caliber.

Also the primer punch shows its extra length to be able to extend through the taller shellholder.

Someone has got to get me to a shrink, I just bought another Lyman TLJ press. But the lady threw in some extras, J-die Universal shellholder, extended primer punch, set of 30-30 caliber 310 dies...all for $31...I love ebay. I think they love me to for spending a lot of bucks there.

GG

Attached Files:

13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

GG, you put another press on that bench and I hope you have it lag bolted into the wall! With the Dillon on the other side, you gonna be in a heap o trouble son, ifn it ever falls! I'd hear the thud clean down here! Now what ya wantin fer that there lyman sizer? :D :D :D :D

It would look good next to mt Saeco!
  14. Gunguy

Gunguy Guest

Uh, I do have a weight problem in that room...and that other desk load don't help as all of it being above the garage.

Blue an orange on one side and gray, brown, black, and ugh green on the other side.

Don't ask whats in the green milk carry carton under the desk.

Rick, that Lyman lube/sizer was awfully hard to come by bidding on ebay was a battle trying to win it...I got beat out 3 times before I nailed this one by resorting to sniping.

If you want...you could try and find one on ebay but its a bid war to get one.

Now, if you want a little lyman press like the Tru-line Jr. I can fix ya up.

GG

Attached Files:

15. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Hmmmm. If Plano isn't interested, I might be. I have dies and a TLJ would be a nice addition to the mix. I'd take it cheap, just to keep you from danger, doncha know. :D

Pops