anyone use this chrony?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Yes good unit

I dont use it all the time. Only to check the speed of certain rifle bullets. But it is very simple and very effective.
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Yep, four years and counting, just try not to shoot the wires that support the shade.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

the F-1 is probably the best bang for the buck for the majority of shooters. Reliable, easy to use and ..... new screens aren't too spendy..., let's hope you don't have to go there though. ;):D
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have one that is probably 30 years old. Looks somewhat like that but the screens are made of cardboard and you only have a hole about 1.5 X 5 inches to shoot through. I haven't used it in probably 25 years, I was always afraid that I would shoot the durn thing having to put the bullet through such a small area!!
  6. res45

res45 New Member

7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

The F1 is a good unit. Basic features but I never had a problem with it.
    I had one for about 10 years...but like a few other guys' chronys, it played tag with a bullet and lost.

I replaced it with a Beta Master. I got it on a closeout sale cheaper than another F1.
    After using the remote display, I wouldn't want another unit without the remote display.
    I really don't use the large shot memory feature of the Beta yet though. I still write down each shot on paper...just force of habit from using my F1.

If possible, I would save a few more pennies for one of the remote display models. and keep an eye on the sale flyers for price drops too. They do go on sale quite often.
    F1 Master http://www.midwayusa.com/product/688064/shooting-chrony-f1-master-chronograph
    Alp[ha Master (on sale cheaper than the F1 Master this month) http://www.midwayusa.com/product/688064/shooting-chrony-f1-master-chronograph
  8. zant

zant Member

Great chronys...just remember the bore/very high ring relationship so your's does'nt have a .30 caliber hole dead center:)
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Mine is still going strong after being shot 3 times. Yes I have shot the darn thing 3 times. thank god they were all just little nicks. Great unit that is accurate tough and compact.
  10. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I have about a 20+ year old first model Green Chrony. We once tested it set up between two of the three screens of an Oehler Model 35P Proof Channel Chronograph, and found a consistent 15 fps slower or faster (do not remember which) difference at about 3000 fps for about 10 consecutive shots.

Needless to say, this performance (1/2 of 1% variance from the Oehler) amazed everyone present. A few months later, shortly after the introduction of the "improved" Red Chrony, I crossed paths with the Oehler system custodian, and was asked if I had read a published review of the new and improved Red Chrony. I answered in the negative, and he advised that I was lucky to get (have) my machine because the "improved" model tested was reported to be much less accurate consistent.

One does not expect an inexpensive instrument to perform on par with a system that costs 6 time more money, and it is not common to see such happen. Still the Chrony seems to do a decent job for hobbyists at a reasonable price.
  11. Bindernut

Hammerschlager has a good point on the accuracy difference between the cheaper units and the "pro-level" units like the Oehler 33 or 35.
    Oehler has a 24" spacing between the screens (and two timers working at the same time on the 35) where the Shooting Chrony units are 12" single-channel units.
    Anytime you've got a longer distance to sample over, the timing circuit has more time to do it's calculations with and you will get better accuracy potential.

I used my first F1 alongside a friend's 33 for a while just to compare and they were close enough to not worry about any difference...at least for my hobbyist use anyway. I don't have any of those old journals anymore but the measurement difference wasn't enough to get me concerned.

One thing to note though with any chronograph...
    Make sure your screen spacing is consistent from session to session. If you're using a Shooting Chrony, make sure it's completely unfolded (there are little stoppers at the full open position).
    If using a PACT, Oehler, or other rail-mount screen system make sure they're spaced right when you assemble the rail. Better yet, just leave the screens assembled on the rail and move the whole rail assembly as a unit.

Make sure you set it up as level as possible too. Any angle might throw a small error into the time calculations.
    I use a camera tripod that has bubble levels on the head. It works good enough for me and I already had the tripod for camera use. Those $25 tripods from Walmart will work just fine and most of em have bubble levels on the head too.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  12. soundguy

last time I used a chrony was with painball.

how close are you guys getting the muzzle to the chrony ?
  13. Bindernut

I usually set up the unit about 15'-16' away from the muzzle.
    The Shooting Chrony Master units have 18' of cord for the display head so I try to use as much of that as I can.

That's about how far you really need to be so the muzzle blast doesn't cause false triggers on the screens. With some really potent rifle cartridges even that is too close.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Same chrony i use too. I have shot it 3 times and it still works. Aint got no diffuser rods left for it tho. So I use shishkebob skicks or chopsticks
  15. soundguy

thanks for the info! will pass the # along to the wifey for b-day idea!
  16. 10 Spot Terminator

10 Spot Terminator New Member

Redmond Oregon ( middle of state refered to as Cen
    I bought the Beta Master nearly 10 years ago and has been a great unit for the money. I had to replace the difuser ( sky screens ) last year as are made from a hard plastic that is a bit hard to snap together and can crack if you get too forceful. Remedied this with a touch of silicone spray on the connecting points on the new ones as silicone wont soften plastic. Be sure to keep a fresh 9v battery on hand so if the readings start wierding out and the sky screens are on correctly and properly exsposed to uniform lighting, most likely the battery is weak. Is a nice compact unit that folds up and stores in a box about 4x5x10 and nestles nicely in the range box or bag. Screens were cheap to replace. Have used it for handgun, rifle, arrow and pellet rifle speeds and can buy several for the cost of a Pact or Oheyler should you send a round through it ( seen that done before ) . Make sure to set it up 10 feet from the muzzle to keep muzzle blast from interfering with the unit due to movement.

10 Spot