Anyone want a singer?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

tuckerd1
    (5/11/01 8:53:50 pm)
    Reply Anyone Want a Singer?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a Singer for sale on GunsAmerica.

Singer 1911A1 .45 U.S. Army
    GA# 976045407 $26,000.00 This is the scarcest US military .45 auto of WWII. Only 500 produced. Colt set up the factory, and they have a commercial type blue finish--never Parkerized. All original--retaining 98+% orig. blue finish. "JKC" inspector,s mark. Singer brown plastic stocks. Serial number "S800058".

I think I'll sell my house and bubububuy it! My whole gunsafe with guns is worth less than the asking price!

tuckerd1
    (5/15/01 7:05:04 am)
    Reply Re: Anyone Want a Singer?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well tuck, I guess we be here all on our lonesome.

Would be a great piece to add to a serious collection, but a mighty stiff price. I know what you mean about mortgaging the house! Noticed a little stutter there.

tuck, all on my own, lost in the 1911 forum.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/15/01 7:54:35 am)
    That collector thinks more of his Singer than I do. I would think around $10,000. is all its worth. I wouldn't pay that because I'd have to trick it out and ruin the collector value.lol. It's a rare gun, but if I can't shoot it, I don't want it.

tuckerd1
    (5/15/01 8:15:56 am)
    There is someone in this forum!!! I thought I was being shunned!

I agree with you Sam. Collecting is just not my area. I have several guns I don't shoot, but they came in lot buys that I haven't deciced what to do with yet.

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (5/15/01 8:20:13 am)
    tuckerd1,

It's not so much that nobody is in this forum it's some of us (like me) wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money for a weapon.

That and I'd be the first to admit I have extreme limited knowledge on 1911's (and I sure do mean limited).

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/15/01 8:25:11 am)
    T, it's only a matter of time before you go 1911 crazy like Tuck and me. Have you ever shot one? If you ever get a chance, go for it. Tuck, as I've stated before, If I can't shoot it, I trade it.

tuckerd1
    (5/15/01 8:28:38 am)
    TLynn, I wouldn't think about buying it either. I thought the price was interesting. Looking for comments on that.

I am no expert on 1911's either. I just like em.

Xracer
    (5/15/01 9:46:29 am)
    "T".....Singer was one of a number of companies (Colt, Remington, Ithaca, Savage) contracted to make M1911A1s during WWII. After a pilot batch of only 500, priorities shifted and they converted over to make fire control mechanisms for the military.

There is one even more rare military M1911 (if they even exist). During WWI, North American Arms (a division of Canadian Car & Foundry) was contracted to build M1911s under license. They supposedly built a few prototypes (some say about 20, some say less). If you can find one of those, you won't have to worry about quitin' smoking to buy those bullets!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (5/15/01 1:04:35 pm)
    Re: Anyone Want a Singer?
    I have an Ithaca and I loves the heck out of it!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Xracer
    (5/15/01 6:46:39 pm)
    I've got "Mother"....my tricked-out competion 1911 I built on an Essex frame, "Sam", my semi-trick (LW) Commander carry gun, and "Sgt. York", my all-original Colt M1911 (complete with WWI web belt, holster, mag pouches and 4 magazines).....but I'm not a 1911 fan or anything........

AntiqueDr
    (5/15/01 7:26:16 pm)
    That $26K is about right for a North American Arms, but much too steep for a Singer. I am not sure I'd do the $10K. I would look pretty hard at $6K, though.

Purveyor of Fine Firearms to the Enlightened Few
    www.apaxenterprises.com