The Firearms Forum banner

anyone where discreet soft body armour to the range?

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Iron Eagle 
#1 ·
IE BRV's under your regular clothes?

just curious

#3 ·
reson i ask is because some of the guys i know live in the city and have only the public range to go to. the range does not ahve a full time officer there. occasionally a GW stops by.. but not often. most of the people there are 'ok' but if you look around. the bathroom facility there has holes inthe door and pock marks in the wall.. IE.. some shenanigans happen. the roof over the shooting line also has a few prominent 'vent' holes in it.

me and 2 buddies i shoot with.. we all have soft body armor, ( with removeable trauma plates ) we initially got them because we used to be avid paint ball players.. and lets face it. soft body armor under your suit turns a paintball stot into 'nothing' so that's a plus.

Back to reality now. that soft body armor may turn a stray shot from 'near death' to 'survivable wound'.

I've seen guys do some unsafe stuff at the shooting line. the public range scares the bajeebers out of me sometimes...

#6 ·
We have a public range about a mile from my house with no range officer. after a couple of trips there I joined a private range 40 miles away. The yokels at the nearby range scared the bajeebers out of me

#7 ·
I go to a public range and i've seen some astounding things from people but I don't have body armor. All I have to relly on is being more aware.

I've been muzzle swept 3 times by the same guy on the same day once, with his 30-06 none the less. After ripping his backside the last time, I just packed my things up and went home and called the range owner. I haven't seen him back since.

#9 ·
When I visit my brother we sometimes go to the range where he has a membership, and there is no range officer. Mostly we have it to ourselves during the week when everyone else is working. A few times we have arrived to find other there ahead of us. I alway make my brother wait, and watch the other shooters, before we get out of the car. It took some explaining to him to make him understand what I wanted to see before I got out of the car. The pistol range is small, and would only support about a dozen shooters at one time. Not a lot of room when the guys around you are not practicing safe gun handeling. I personally don't own body armor, and don't forsee me buying any in the near future.

#10 ·
We have two ranges that I go to. Everyone seems pretty safe but I always watch the people around me. If they seem dangerous I leave. Both ranges have some one watching the shooters and I have seen people asked to leave.

At my shotgun club a few weeks ago they had an AD that hit 10 people. New rules went into effect. All new members need to go through a 4 hour training course before they are allowed to shoot.

#13 ·
I go to a private range. Most times there is no one else there, but, there are strict rules when it comes to safety. Any of us are expected to speak if we see someone doing anything stupid on the range. Depending on the act, just once is enough to get a members card pulled. If I felt like I had to wear armor, I probably would find a new place to shoot.

#15 ·
only one weird guy at the range yesterday morning. and he was just slow. cold range would be called. he'd answer ok.. cold. and then still be setting there fiddling with his rifle at the shooting line while the rest of us are behind the red waiting for him 2 more minutes...

#16 ·
Sounds like the public range I used to go to.Horror stories everytime I went.Not enough room to tell what craziness I saw there.I don't want body armor so I quit going.A shame too cause its close and fairly clean.All this happened while the rangemaster was always in his little bldg with the A/C going.Scary! Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.