ANZAC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by swanshot, Apr 13, 2004.

1. swanshot

swanshot New Member

ANZAC is an acronym for Australian NewZealand Army Corp
    which was stenciled on the packing cases of supplies at the Dardanells campain, (Galipoli)
    On the 25April we have a public holiday. Originaly it was to honour the soldiers killed in that campain, some 40000 of them,
    but now it encompases all Australians killed on active service.

During that campain, which was the usual tale of deprivation and bloody waste typical of WW1 a couple of savation army officers came up with a sweet biscuit (cookie) that was made from oats (horse food) and treakle. They were tremendously poplular with the men and became an Australian icon to a past generation.
    The recipe has been refined, (Iboubt they had coconut or butter) but is still basically the same.
    So come on people, try some, they're great, and when you eat them think of what they must have tasted like to 140000 lonely, miserable, lice ridden young, men, ten thousand miles from home, and who's diet consisted entirely of bully beef and biscuits.

So, here ya go.

Anzac’s
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup rolled oats
    1 cup plain flour
    ¾ cup sugar
    ¾ cup coconut
    2 tablespns golden syrup or light treacle
    125 gms butter/2 tablespns
    1 teaspn bi–carb
    2 tablespns hot water
    Mix the oats, flour, sugar and coconut together in a bowl. Melt the golden syrup and butter together. Dissolve bi-carb in the hot water. Mix into syrup and butter. Then pour all together over dry ingredients and mix well. Put teaspns full of mixture onto greased baking trays, separating well as they do spread.
    Bake in a moderate oven for 15 mins or until firm.
    Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on the tray before lifting to a wire rack.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Thanks for that historical and insightful thread. I enjoyed it.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

And for you who don't speak Aussie or Brit:

Treacle = Molasses

And Swannie.....Winston Churchill was a great man, but Galipoli was not one of his better decisions.
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Sounds pretty good, Swannie! Thanks for the recipe, and for the history behind it.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Great post Swannie. Thanks for the recipe. Gonna hafta try it some time.
  6. swanshot

swanshot New Member

Actually the reasoning behind the campain was sound, but the execution left a lot to be desired. It really was f*** up from the start. An object lesson in how not to do it. But then again a lot of WW1 was like that.
  7. Norman Dog

Norman Dog New Member

Except for the coconut, these biscuits look like bannocks to me!

I like to take bannocks with me when on a pre-breakfast deer stalk. They are very sustaining and keep my stomach from growling while still hunting in the morning.
  8. 280freak

280freak New Member

Hey, Norman Dog, nice to see ya!

Have you been in communication with Saxon lately? Was wondering how he made out after that "cluster" over at GB.
  9. Norman Dog

Norman Dog New Member

Thanks, it's nice to be seen!

It is good of you to ask how Saxon Pig is doing. His situation is still a bit touch-and-go, but things may be looking up for him in the near future. Keep your fingers crossed.
  10. 280freak

280freak New Member

Norman Dog -

Thanks for the reply. Even though Saxon and I crossed swords a few times at GB, we actually had very few genuine disagreements (mostly just your typical cyber-misunderstandings). Regardless of how we may have felt about each other at those times, it was still a crappy thing for somebody to do what they did to him, with the exceedingly negative outcome for him.

Tell him that I said "Hey", and hope things work out okay for him. (He could always hang out here for a bit, too, ya know, if he still has Internet access).
  11. Norman Dog

Norman Dog New Member

Agreed, I'm still floored by the pettiness of the antagonist and also by how drastic the results were. I'll let Saxon know you asked about him, though I wouldn't be surprised if he peruses this forum from time to time.