The Firearms Forum banner

Appallingly Stupid Mossberg Shotgun Question

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  68c15 
#1 ·
A few years ago I had some serious surgery done, spent a few months at home healing, and discovered that it costs so much to go to work that the 40% LTD insurance check was far more than I normally needed to survive. So I bought stuff - power tools, a compressor, a security door which I framed and hung on my deck in ten minute intervals, punctuated by 1 hour naps. It's amazing what drugs can do...

One thing I bought was a Mossberg 500C shotgun in 20 ga from Big 5 Sporting Goods, as the price was truly excellent - about $200 if I recall correctly, maybe a little less. It came with two barrels and - this is where it gets hazy - I think it came with two choke tubes, along with the tool to change them out. I can't now remember what I did with the extra choke tube, or the tool, and I can't rule out the possibility that neither really existed. Percocet is wonderful for pain, but not really helpful to memory, and I'm doubting that I ever truly saw these items. But I'm also inclined to tear the house and shop apart looking for them, just in case.

In an attempt to save myself many fruitless hours of searching, I'm posting to find out if anyone here took advantage of the same "Big Sale" some 5 years ago, about this time of year (the surgery was Mar 9), and might know whether I imagined the spare choke or not.

See less See more
#2 ·
Is this the gun that comes with a field and deer barrel with wood stock?

As far as I know Mossberg always supplies choke tubes and the tool with their field barrels.

Here's the specs for the gun I think you are asking about;

Manufacturer: Mossberg 54282

Mossberg's 500 pump action shotguns offer an amazing amount of gun for an unbeatable price. The variety of stock, barrel and finish options alone would assure the place of the 500 in the hearts of outdoorsmen. But, of course, its performance in the field goes a long way in cementing its reputation with millions of hunters as well. The widest range of versatility comes from our broad selection of Mossberg 500 Combos in 12 or 20 gauge. With its two barrel combos, Mossberg pioneered the idea that a shotgun can provide more than just one season of shooting and hunting enjoyment.

Specifications and Features:
Mossberg 500 pump action field and deer shotgun combo
Interchangeable barrels
20 gauge
26" vent rib field barrel
24" ported deer barrel
6 round capacity
Ambidextrous thumb safety
3" chamber
Quiet carry dual action bars
Twin bead sight field barrel
Adjustable rifle sights deer barrel
Fully rifled bore deer barrel
Accu-Set choke system field barrel
Wood stock
Blued finish
45.5" overall length with field barrel
43.5" overall length with slug barrel
13.88" length of pull
1.5" drop at comb
2.13" drop at heel
Drilled and tapped
7 lbs

#4 ·
GunHugger: This one is similar, but without the wood stock and rifled barrel.

therewolf: Thanks a bunch; I was afraid of that. That does match my fuzzy memory, and I vaguely recall installing the current choke tube with the supplied tool. It looks like I have some serious closet-searching to do. Grrrr....

#6 ·
I generally use a quarter as a choke wrench. I must have 6 or 7 official wrenches around.....somewhere. If I find one, I can send it to you. Still the same address?
Yessir! I haven't moved in 22 years now, much to my surprise... Thanks!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.