1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Aquila .22 Super Colibri warning

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jstgsn, Aug 6, 2011.

1. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Not sure if I posted this before. Sorry if I did. The Super Colibri offers a warning that it is not to be shot out of a rifle. I'm stupid. I shot it out of a rifle with a 22" barrell and it worked fine to start with. My sons came over and we were having a ball with the quiet round. Then it started to do two things. It was loud when we shot it. It was very innacurate. Instead of "CLICK" and hitting the target, we had CRACK and it was several feet off target. My son brought the gun in and asked if I knew what the problem was. He fired another round and I thought, yep, barrells full. I took a ramrod and indeed found the barrel was blocked. Knocked out about 6 rounds of colibri piled on top of each other. Every time they fired a round, it "knocked" the end round out of the barrell and it would land near the target. Once cleared, the next round fired a quiet as normal and the target was hit. We switched guns to my short barrelled Rossi and have not had a problem since.
    The Colibri is a great round, and my middle son has killed Crows with it at 30 yards. I have knocked cow birds dead at 25 yards. The sound they make when you fire them is basically the firing pin hiting the round. Just don't try to use them in long barrell guns, and if you suspect the round didn't fire, check the barrell.
    happy shooting.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I learned the hard way not to shoot them out of a rifle, too. But when the first shot did not hit what I was shooting at, I knew right away something was amiss!

How much "over hold" do you have at 25 yards?? I can shoot at the middle of a plastic 55 gallon drum at 10-12 yards and hit the bottom of it and it won't punch through the plastic!

They are fun to shoot out of my NAA mini revolver. You can actually watch the bullet from the muzzle all the way to the target!
  3. BillM

BillM Active Member

Shot out of my old Winchester 1900 boys rifle, it's super accurate and
    has very little bullet drop.

Out of a 22" tight bore target barrel? Haven't stuck one, but they are slowed
    down so bad that accuracy sucks and you can see them in flight.

Lots of fun out of my Ruger MkII Gov't Target---I can load 5 in the mag and
    hand cycle them.
  4. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

It isn't only Aguila, and it isn't only the Super Colibri. There are other brands of cap rounds. The shooter is expected to know enough about what he's doing and WHY he bought the ammo to understand how to use it, and in what firearms.
    By all means, if you can't be bothered to teach yourself these things, you need a few disasters to get your attention.
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Never had a problem as long as you clean the bore and barrel about every ten shots. I shoot in the garage with the stuff with a back stop I made out of old phone books and a blanket stuffed into a large flat cardboard box.
  6. ken w.

ken w. Member

I have had these stuck in the barrel on a Win. 67 rifle.It was about 3" from the muzzle.There is defiantly a different sound when it does not leave the barrel.I haven't had a problem using these in a short barrel rifle tho.
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I was firing mine out of a Win. Model 75. never had a problem other than the need to snake it every 8-10 shots.
  8. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Member

I have fired them out of a lot of rimfire rifles, and the only one to have them stick was my Winny 75T. Tighter bore. Worked fine from my 14 pound singleshot BSA Mk.II target rifle! A guy next bench over thought I was dry-firing..... :D

My favorite though is using them in my old Tanfoglio .22 revolver to dispatch huge spiders...... So far.... Spiders - zip. Me - 5! :cool: