AR-10 suggestions

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by lawdawg, Dec 24, 2010.

1. lawdawg

lawdawg Member

MERRY CHRISMAS, EVERYONE!

I'm thinking of buying an AR-10 or variant in 7.62 NATO after the holidays, and was wondering if anyone would mind giving some suggestions. I have a little experience with AR-15s, but virtually none with the AR-10s. Accuracy is a must and so is the availability of magazines (apparently different manufacturers use various magazine designs, unlike the AR-15s). It would be great if I could find one that uses M-14 mags, since I have several of them already on hand. I understand that some use FN-FAL mags, and some use their own designed mags. I plan on installing a scope and use the rifle primarily for target shooting and, of course, self-defense. Any and all advice is appreciated.
  2. Airdale

Airdale Member

I went with a DPMS LR 308.
    Have only fired it for sighting in but so far so good. Waiting 'til I have time for a proper barrel break in proceedure.

They offer a lot of different configurations, check 'em out.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=14
  3. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Get a Patriot ordnance factory P308! Top of the line no substitutes! Sub MOA!

Works with Bushmaster, C-Products, DPMS,
    Fulton, Knights, JP Rifles, LaRue, LMT, LWRC, Remington R-25 and the original
    AR-10 waffle magazines

http://www.pof-usa.com/p308/p308.htm
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Boy, I like hunting with the AR's off snowmachine & 4wheeler. Team sling makes shooting on the fly easier too. We live rural, ride atv to edge of trail/road, peep down over ravine to creek bottoms, catch alot of game in the trees down there. We've been using 223's for 20 years mostly for caribou, and a few lynx & wolves we also catch on the river. Got my first Stagg 6.8 spc this past summer; put that acog 6.8 bdc on her and only have killed caribou with her; but really like that 6.8. I'm waiting on a Armalite 338 federal that I ordered; will be my new carry around for bear & moose I figure. I'm sure I could kill a moose with the 6.8 but want something more.

Always wanted a 308 in an AR10 but have heard that a 300 WSM is available from custom shop. What other larger calibers have you all heard about on an AR 10 platform? I've also heard that stainless is an $$$$ option for heavier calibers.

I handled a Rem R-25 at gun shop I order from and it was a 308 I think, kinda liked the winter camo. We get some long shots up on our summit, usually take the 30-378 when I'm sitting but actually prefer riding trails; see more game; why I like the ARs so much I figure.
  5. Porkbutt

Porkbutt New Member

I've got an Armalite AR 10. It's a great shooter. I love it. I think those M14 mags you have can be made adaptable to work in the AR10. Armalite customer service is great and will be glad to give you the details on the magazines.
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We killed 3 moose this fall with the 338 fed Armalite and a few caribou. Mine has 21 inch barrel, now you can get 18 inch barrel for the 338 fed AR-10; which would be even better to ride the trails.
  7. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Im partial to my DPMS LR .308...Very accurate and dependable....I understand adapting the magazines is not hard to do...You get a pattern and then cut out a notch on the M14 mags...Ive a bud who has done this, but failed to ask if they were relialble after this alteration...I suspect they or or he would have not done it.
  8. okiefired

okiefired New Member

Duke, sounds like you're talking about Armalite AR10's. DPMS uses SR25 type mags. I've modified several M14 mags for my Armalites and they work great. Got about ten more unmoded and unused that I gave just a few dollars a piece for. Factory Armalite mags (which are just modified M14 mags) have become very affordable in the last several years and are very very reliable, always have been for me and I've owned AR10's for well over ten years now.
  9. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Oakie...You are right...Got my 'facts' mixed up..:eek::eek:..The mind is a terrible thing to lose...;)

I believe the modified mags he showed me were for his FAL...but cant even remember that for sure...

But did pick up an edition of Guns that has a fine article on the Les Bauer Custom AR .308...started to read last night after games, but was too sleepy (a little drunk) to make much sence...Plan on reading that today....Id like to have an AR10 platform without the bull barrel someday...