The Firearms Forum banner

AR-15 22LR Target Build

8K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  The War Wagon 
#1 ·
I will be using a Target Master 22LR conversion bolt group with a CMMG Barrel collar and a Beyers 22 LR Ultralight Target 16.5", 1in 16" twist, .920 bull - 7075 aluminum barrel with a Chromalloy steel button rifled liner. Reviews have reported groups of less than 1/2" at 100 yds with this barrel. The barrel and barrel collar will hopefully be on order tomorrow.

All the general lower receiver parts are ordered along with the following custom parts.

DPMS Upper Receiver Stripped AR-15 Low Profile Matte
View attachment 113076

Nordic Slotted Customizable Free Float Tube Handguard
View attachment 113077

Rsie Armament RA-140 Trigger & Anti-Walk Hammer Trigger Pins
View attachment 113078 View attachment 113082

#5 ·
What kind of Ammo you gonna be shooting in it?

#12 ·
For decent priced ammo I use Eley Match, or RWS R50. Occasionally I will break out a box of Tenex but only if I have a friendly wager with one of my shooting buds:D How does the Eley Biathlon shoot?

Reactions: tuckerd1
#19 ·
CCI Tactical .22s are great. Got a thousand or so on hand, but I'm leery about shooting them up and running out of them. They seem to work as well as did the early CCI Mini Mags with good accuracy and no malfunctions in any of my 10-22s. Heck - they even work flawlessly in my cheapo Colt M4 .22 look-alike.

Just a note: Went plinking with my eldest son. He shot my old Ruger standard model with CCI Mini Mags, and I fired my H&R Sportsman with those "Quiet .22s". His pistol worked just fine, with only a few failures to eject completely (that pistol LOVES the cheap Remington Yellow Jackets!). My H&R was a disappointment with CCI Quiet .22s. Shooting close range, and most of my bullets just dented the tin cans. Only shooting about 15 feet, and I had to aim just over the top of the cans to hit them. I'd have done better using a BB gun.

#22 ·
Tired of waiting for the buttstock, buffer and spring. So I went to work on the upper assembly today. Just an update from the beginning.

I started with a Target Master AR-15 22LR conversion bolt group.
Gun Trigger Shotgun Air gun Revolver

I bought a CMMG barrel collar to convert my bolt group to be used on a dedicated 22Lr target barrel.
Auto part Automotive engine part Rim Steel Tool accessory

Converted bolt group
Gun Shotgun Trigger Gun barrel

Sorry I didn't take close up pics of the inside of the barrel collar and the chamber end of the barrel, but there is an indent ball inside the collar to lock it to a groove on the chamber end of the barrel. You can see what looks like a black line around the chamber end of the barrel.

And you end up with this.
Gun Trigger Air gun

I am using a DPMS slick side upper. I lapped the barrel face of the upper to ensure it is square with the barrel. These are the tools I used.
Airsoft gun Airsoft

Tool Machine tool Machine Workbench Tool accessory

To get this.
Machine Camera Tool

Installed the barrel and Nordic free float handguard barrel nut
Machine Tool Workbench

Installed the handguard
Electronic instrument Vehicle

#24 ·
I need to buy a good scope that I can see the bullet holes clearly at 100 yds, I would like to spend less than $300. I have been considering a Vortex, Burris and even a Bushnell. What do yall think?

#25 · (Edited)
I got it put together today minus a scope. I have a Bushnell Rimfire Optics 3-12x40 scope that should be here tomorrow. I decided to try less expensive and work my way up if necessary.

Gun Shooting sport Shooting Airsoft gun Trigger

My final parts list:
Anderson Multi Cal Lower Receiver
AR-Stoner Lower Receiver Parts Kit
AR-Stoner M4 Collapsible Stock Assembly
DPMS Upper Receiver Stripped AR-15 Low Profile
DPMS Charging Handle
Nordic Slotted Customizable Free Float Handguard
Rise Armament RA-140 Trigger
Anti-Walk Hammer Trigger Pins
Target Master AR15 .22LR BCG
CMMG Barrel Collar Assembly
Beyers AR-15 22 LR 18.5" Ultralight Target Barrel
Bushnell RimFire Optics 3-12x40 Riflescope
Nikon P-Series Cantilever Scope Rings

#26 · (Edited)
I got the scope in and mounted today. I put a trigger pull scale on the Rise Armament RA-140 trigger and it pulled a consistent 3.5#. I weighed the assembled rifle and it was 7lb 4oz with a loaded mag. Not too bad. My 24" varmint AR weighs over 12 lbs with an empty mag.
Gun Firearm Air gun Shooting sport Machine

#29 ·
I have to say that the BSA sweet .22 that I put on my savage is the best .22 scope I have ever seen or shot. Makes shooting anywhere from 25-200 yards as easy as dialing the turret to your yardage

Reactions: tuckerd1
#34 ·
It took 3 shots to zero the scope. One high left, over adjusted to low right, then 1/2" high bullseye.

Range report: 50 yard target shown below. Small circles are 1" and large circle is 3". The other 2 groups I was aiming at bullet holes from zeroing scope.

I shot the following ammo:
Wolf Match Target 40 gr Solid
Zapper22 copper coated 40 gr solid
CCI Green Tag 40 gr copper coated solid
Federal Auto Match 40gr solid
Winchester T22 Target, XT22LR 40gr
CCI Mini Mag 40gr copper plated solid
CCI Standard Velocity Target 40gr solid - Best Performer - See bottom 3 targets

As you can see below the only thing this barrel liked was the CCI Std Vel Target. Of course the monkey holding the rifle didn't do much to help matters.

All the above bullets functioned almost perfect with only one FTF.

Illustration Art

#37 ·
Can't argue with that! That's the same reason I build 'em. ;)

I don't get worked up over .22 accuracy beyond 50' personally - target shooting them is not why I'm into them, although a modicum of accuracy is certainly expected with ANY firearm purchase/build. When I built my dedicated .22 AR tactical trainer, Tactical Solutions was THE way to go, although the Nordic Systems upper was released about the same time, and later got rave reviews. Were I to do it again, I'd of probably gone that route. I'll throw a build thread up here about it eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.