The Firearms Forum banner

AR-15 Barrel Brands

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mrjctx 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this topic has come up before but could not locate it with a search.

What brand of complete upper kits do you recommend?

In 2009 I would like to complete an AR-15 but will need to finish it quickly due to the almost certain changes coming in a few days. :eek: So far I have a 95% complete DPMS Lower Receiver with a RRA NM Two Stage Trigger Set. I can easily find a stock but need help with the upper kit and suggestions of "brand" to get. *Pictures are available at my site: http://www.lucky4sure.com

I would like to find:
1. 5.56mm 16" A3 "flat top" M-4 Style chrome lined with chromed bolt and etc
2. .223 20-24" Bull Barrel chrome lined with chromed bolt and etc

MrJCTX

#4 ·
bushmaster, rock river, stag arms if you're a lefty...keep in mind the twist rate-that's the most important thing about them
I visited the gun show in Mesquite, TX at Big Town. This was a small show with little activity but found about 25 upper sets and nice deals but I did not take any of them home. Some of the brands I found were M1, Bushmaster, LMT, and RRA but they either were missing what I wanted or seemed to have some problems with them. I decided to go with a better barrel such as Wilson Arms or better.

Prices that I found at there show were from $450-$900 for an upper w/o the bolt and carrier. The M1 or the uppers with ER Brand barrels were the cheap ones and the Wilson Arms barrels such as the RRA sets were higher priced.

When I got home I though about it and just ordered a complete upper set off of the Del-Ton Website (Thanks for recommending!). The price was not too bad and included the bolt and carrier. Added the extra fee to the chrome lined sets. The turn around should be about 10-12 weeks.

I hope the wait doesn't make me go insane but I'll let you know if it get here faster.

Thanks for posting!

#6 · (Edited)
I went with a Del-Ton M-4 Upper Set.

Everything I wanted was customized with this kit. Their prices seemed to be very fair from what I found on other sites and shows but I will need to wait for them to complete the set and send it to me. I originally wanted to piece each part but found trouble when I realized this would be a problem due to the rush in sales.

I ordered a chrome lined 1:9 twist barrel, A3 "flat top" chrome lined upper, chromed bolt and carrier set, flash suppressor, and standard front sights.

My order date was Jan 10th, 2009. When I called Del-Ton they told me that they have all the parts there at their assembly site but will need more time to assembly the parts. They hand assemble each upper set and are running behind due to the rush in sales and all the orders before the election.

The time frame given to me was 10-12 weeks. I hope it gets here sooner.

I'll make sure to show off the set once it arrives. Thanks for posting!

JC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.