AR 15 barrel length question?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by lonewolf204, Aug 12, 2012.

1. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

Would a 20" barrel be more accurate then a 16"? Would it be worth the cost to change it? I'm talking about an Ar 15 in 5.56. I can not get these rifles to shoot as accurate as everybody says there's will shoot. Is the gas piston conversion worth the cost, will it help the accuracy?
  2. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

Depens if your going from like a pencil to a bull barrel I'd say yes but if just increasing length I wouldn't do it and is it free floated
  3. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

And with the gas piston it can be enough to affect barrel harmonics. It's minimal but at long range it may have an ill effect on accuracy
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Yes a 20" is more accurate. My M16A2 was a great weapon and it had a 20'' barrel. My M4 was good but the A2 was more accurate.
  5. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

No difference in accuracy between a 16" or a 20" of the same quality shooting the same ammo. Velocity would be slightly lower in the 16".

Length does not effect accuracy. Barrel design, twist rate/bullet match, full floating the barrel or not, chrome lined or non chrome lined, ammo quality, 223, 5.56 or "other" chamber/bullet match, optics and the nut behind the trigger.

Heavier barrels are not actually more accurate but they will not be effected by the barrel heating up as fast as a pencil barrel.

You need to match your bullets to the barrels twist rate for best accuracy. Usually light bullets like a 40gr varmint bullet isn't a good idea in a fast twist rate such as a 1 in 7.

A full floated AR barrel can shoot more accurately than one not free floated if shooting from a bench, bi-pod, using a sling or in any way that places pressure on the forearm or barrel.

Chrome lined barrels can be accurate but usually they are not as accurate as non chrome lined. There are "target" barrels that are made to tighter tolerances, lapped to smooth the machining of the bore and whatever else the each manufacturer does to make them are the best choice for accuracy. Chrome lined barrels are made for blasting and for ease of cleaning but I have had a few that were very accurate.

Good quality factory ammo or well made reloads will almost always shoot more accurately than military type ammo.

In general a 223 or a Wylde chamber will shoot match bullets more accurately than a 5.56 chamber.
    If you want to read more on that here's a link to a short explanation of chambers in the AR.
    http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes%5CTECH%20NOTE%2074%20%205.56%20vs%20223%20vs%20Wylde%20090817%20Rev%200.pdf

With optics and accuracy, you get what you pay for. You will never shoot as accurate as your setup is capable of with cheap chinese $100 optics. I know some think they can, fine believe it if you want.

Same goes for the mount.

Sorry for the long post, nothing on TV, feel free to have a different opinion, these are mine.
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

HUM Yes it does. The more time it spends in the barrel the better it will stabilize the bullet. Also a little extra length never hurt anything (That's what she said).

My 20" shoots amazing groups.

What kind of a barrel are you using? Chrome lined are not as accurate as unlined CRM or SS.
  7. GunHugger

Yes it does if you are talking extremes like a 6" and a 20". The topic here is a 16" and a 20". The bullet is just as stabilized out of the 16" as the 20".

While we're on extremes would you think a 40" barrel would be more accurate than a 20"? Or might you think the shorter one would be more than enough to stabilize the bullet and the 40" would be overkill?

I maintain that a 16' barrel is more than enough to properly stabilize the bullet.

Your 20" shoots amazing groups...well I think it would be just as accurate if you chopped off 4".

What barrel am I using? I have more than one. My most accurate barrel is the ArmaLite 20" AISI 416R Stainless Steel triple lapped heavy 1:8" twist on my M-15 National match rifle.

I never said chrome lined barrels are more accurate.
  8. lonewolf204

What's yawls opinion on the 223 Wylde?
  9. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

Mines chambered in that and still shoots sub moa and it's nice to have the choice between the two calibers
  10. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    listen to gunhugger,he is right.try different bullet weights and shapes.no offense but let somebody else try.as far as length of barrel,if its long enough to stabilize projectile it can be six inches long and no effect on accuracy.i have a three inch 44mag model 29 smith that i have hit metal targets at 200 yards and it shoot no different than my six inch classic hunter.it is only the sight radius that may matter, old semperfi
  11. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

My totally uneducated guess is that a 20" barrel might be just a tad more accurate than a 16" due to increased velocity. Increased velocity = less bullet drop over longer ranges because the faster bullet hits the target sooner. But that difference in velocity and it's corresponding effect on the POI would be so slight it would likely be imperceptible.

But I said that was a guess. For a real answer JLA is the man to tackle this question. He has spent many hours scientifically studying such things, and has corrected several misconceptions of mine regarding barrel/bullet mechanics.
  12. GunHugger

A little more velocity does not make it more accurate, it's just slightly faster.

I wonder why almost all 22 target ammo is lower velocity.

I tested the velocity of M193 ammo in a 16" and 20" AR with my chronograph and found an average of only 135 fps less out of the 16" barrel.

I'm talking real world shooting here, not extreme circumstances where there may be a slight difference that most shooters would never notice.

I'll step away from this discussion now and wait for those that know about this stuff. :)
  13. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Take these suggestions above.

My first lr308 was awful accuracy wise however I changed out the trigger and it's been great since! The ar-15s I have shot after that the trigger has been fine. Id suggest looking at ammo first then the trigger. Definately have someone else shoot it first as suggested above. Do these things one step at a time.
  14. lonewolf204

I have a 3 pound Timney trigger! I have shot a lot of different bullet weights from several manufacturers and still can't get sub Moa! I have shot bolt guns for years at sub Moa. I might be expecting to much from an AR!
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

You probably are. A semi auto vs bolt action is not a a fair comparison.