The Firearms Forum banner

AR-15 Build Choice

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Twicepop 
#1 ·
For you folks that have multiple ar-15's, do you just have them, or do you have specific uses for each one? I have one ar-15 for red dots and scope stuff. My recently completed ar-15 is for iron sights. I already have a bolt action 223 w/ a 24" barrel so really don't need the 24" 223 wylde I had been thinking about. But I want to put something on the 3rd lower but not sure which way to go. Any ideas?

#3 ·
For AR's I have:

One in .22 LR 16 inch
One in 7.62X39 16 inch
Two with .223 Wylde chambers - one 16 inch and one 18 inch both SS
Five with standard 5.56 chambers - one A1 20 inch, one A2 20 inch, one "frankin-AR" 20 inch, two A4 16 inch

I plan on using the 7.62X39 for deer hunting (whenever I get around to going again) and the rest of them are just to play with.

If I were going to build another one, I would consider doing one in .300 Blackout.

Not an AR but I also have a Weatherby bolt action .223 with 24 inch barrel.

#4 ·
I have one in 5.45x39 from back when it was a cheap round to shoot.
I have one with a 5.56/.223 ultra light fluted 16" barrel on a Mag Tactical lower.
I have one with a 5.56 SS 20" free float 1-7 set up for coyote hunting.
I have another with 5.56/.223 with 16" barrel just for plinking.
And I have two in .300 blackout one 8.5" barrel pistol one 16" barrel rifle.
Lastly I have a .458 Socom that I used to hunt deer with until the price of ammo went sky high. Now I just use the Blackout pistol.

#5 · (Edited)
Have one Colt Sp1 that my wife wanted 20 years ago. Just like my old '16A1, except hers doesn't have the forward assist, but does have the fixed handle rear sight and triangular handguards. SHTF equipment.

Also have a Bushmaster M4 look-alike - because I wanted an AR with click adjustable rear sight, and I like the shorter barrel/collapsible stock of the M4 length. SHTF equipment. I'm too old to "Shoot and Scoot" - but I can still shoot.

Then, having two ARs and also two CMMG .22 LR adapters - I decided to just build another M4 length AR (Anderson upper and lower) to use the .22 adapters and not gum-up the gas tubes on the other 2 quality ARs with .22 lead and carbon. Ended up with a rail system and a folding front sight, so I put on a light/laser for night use. Funny thing is that ever since I built it - I've never put any .22s thru the barrelo_O. It's so accurate with regular M193 5.56mm ammo that I've just stuck with it. I use it every night when I take the dog out.

#6 ·
I just built one in 5.56 just to have one, it was a fun project and a great way to learn about the AR-15.
Plus it was about half the price to build my own since they are way overpriced (and near impossible to find) in New York State. I added all the dumb not so "safe act" bull just so I don't get in trouble with the bologna laws of this overtaxed over law stepping state.

#7 ·
Mine were built for specific purposes/scenarios but until SHTF, they just punch paper and ring steel.

Reactions: dbcooper and drymag
#11 · (Edited)
Dear Drymag,
I have two ARs in 5.56 and one in .300 Blackout. The first AR is a full on 20" rifle that I am slowly turning into a "as close as I can legally get" copy of my previous service weapon, the M16A4. I still need to have a gunsmith put an A2 front sight on it and I need to get a birdcage flash suppressor and a Trijicon ACOG and I'll be squared away with that one. Next in line is a compact M-fourgerie that I put together for my wife to have. It has an ESS 16" SOCOM profile barrel, a Troy AK style pistol grip, and a compact version of an A2 Stock. She has trouble getting correct sight picture with irons, so it has a UTG 1-4 power scope with an illuminated reticle that she picked out. Not my first choice, but it makes her happy and is certainly better than nothing. For what its worth, the optic has proven reliable regardless of brand reputation. That is her home defense weapon. My third AR, which I have just finished putting together, will be a home defense carbine. It features a KAK 16" SOCOM profile barrel chambered in .300 BLK, and is geared towards being a lightweight and ultra reliable lead slinger. I have it geared for day/night engagements up to 25 yards for home defense. Either the rifle or the .300 BLK carbine can be pressed into service as my WROL rifle. My next AR build is going to be one of three; M16A2 clone like the one I used in Basic Training, .45 ACP build, or an AR-10.

So to answer your question, Though I recognize that no one rifle can do everything, every AR I have is multipurpose in one regard for another. My 20" AR primarily serves the point of nostalgia, but it can be used in longer range engagements, or used in tandem with a carbine in the DMR role in a SHTF situation. I went with a 1:8 twist just for this reason, so it can use heavier bullet weights. Either of my other ARs will serve well as home defenders, within or without rule of law, and as short to moderate range weapons in an SHTF scenario. The .300 BLK will provide a means for defeating barriers and can also be used to hunt in a SHTF scenario.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.