AR 15 BUILD

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by andrews29, Feb 21, 2009.

1. andrews29

andrews29 New Member

Hi I would like to build an AR15. Can anyone tell me how hard this will be and can anyone point me in the right spot for the parts. Thanks
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

If you have basic mechanical skills and understand how fireams work in general terms, you should have no real problems.
    Brownells has a deticated internet service just dealing with order/building your own personal rifle. There may be others. It is the small block Chevy 350 of rifles.

When I hear others bemoan 10/22 operators on upgrades, this AR series is the centerfire 10/22. More dollars too.
    You will need to know what you expect the rifle to do, it can preform from a few feet out to 300 yards.

These rifles are way overgassed, so the first issue for me is an adjustable gas block.

All parts can ship to your doorstep save one (The lower receiver)
    A few special tools and some basic ones will have it up and running in a day.
    Stripped lowers start around $125.00

The world is your oyster.......

Midway
    Brownells
    and a slue of others await your money.
  3. Sandman

Sandman Member

I have been toying with this idea also. For no other reason than the fact that I don't have one. Does the lower receiver have to be shipped to an FFL, do a transfer, etc.? If so, I might just buy the rifle if the hassle is the same. Is there any significant cost savings in build vs. buy?
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Much cheaper to build.
    They lower contains the serial# so it must be sent to a FFL dealer.
    I would buy the upper as built from a manufacturer and test fired.

Most manufacturers have build kits and it's easy to do.
    There's a couple parts that are really tricky (springs typically:eek:) that like to go ballistic if you're not careful. A small confined area is recommended.;)
  5. hayes1966

hayes1966 New Member

Now that the rush is over, lowers and lower parts kits are available again. A fun project to do.
  6. cakes

cakes New Member

I have built several AR-15s.

I like Spikes Tactical lowers. I have found them to have better finishing than others at the same price point.

I like DPMS for Lower Parts Kits. They have the most consistent parts and nicest triggers of the kits I've used. I've found that the 'cheapo' kits always have a part or two that pushes to either end of the 'spec' tolerances, making assembly a pain.

As for uppers, I suggest buying a complete upper. There is little/no cost savings building your own upper unless you already have the tools. You don't need special tools for assembling the lower (except a .25 inch dowel with a small hole drilled in it).

Check out Model 1 Sales for complete kits. I have a couple of very nice rifles built from their kits on Spike's Tactical lowers. My experiences with some of the other kit sellers have not been quite as good(del-ton, blackthorne).

Good luck with whichever you choose.
  7. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Wow Cakes, I just ordered a complete lower from Spike"s, including an etched or engraved Marine Corps Emblem Logo on it. I was wondering where to go fore the upper, as I have a Bushy carbine and wanted to do a heavy barrel with a floating handguard. Crazy as a few advertise a complete upper, and the fine print is the bolt and carrier are separate costs? Will check your listed suggestion and a couple of more. Thanks, I think I did good. A great finish and price. The complete lower including his adjustable stock $249.95 with an added $5 for the installed logo (What a price on that!)
  8. sorral

sorral New Member

I found a lower at a local gun shop. I would highly recommend a kit from DelTon.com. It will be everything you need minus the lower receiver. The folks that answer the phone are knowledgeable, and really good at helping you get all the parts you need. I bought a kit from them 2 years ago, I got the parts a week sooner than they quoted me.
  9. pds45

pds45 New Member

Be aware that Del-Ton is a VERY busy shop! They sell different models of uppers and some models are on hold because of lack of parts. If you order a complete upper from them try to find out what is immediately available. I've built two M4's and two A3 HBars with Del-Ton uppers and they are very nice ,affordable, and reliable for a basic AR. My son just cancelled an order he had with them for an A1 upper and went with an A2 light barrel simply because we got tired of waiting for it. We also used the Del-Ton lower parts kit. The trigger group varied in quality. Two of the kits had very good trigger groups and two were quite rough but nothing that a bit of dremel and polish work can't fix. But again we are not talking $200 dollar custom triggers either. If the OP is going to build his own a good place to start is AR15.com. Good build books help also. AR's aren't hard to build if you have a little skill and some tools but some upfront research is a must on any project. +1 on the Spike's Tactical lowers. High quality at working man's prices.
  10. sorral

sorral New Member

I had a small problem with Delton. They were going to hold up my order because the firing pin I chose, they were out of stock on. I told them to ship the rest of the order, and send the firing pin later. Well, because of the storms in Ill. I ended up getting my whole order the same day.

We built the carbine a few days ago, and it worked perfectly! The upper I got from Delton matched my Stag lower so well, by gunsmith at first thought they were the same brand! They fit tightly together, no wedge needed, and the color is almost spot on.

I am now just waiting for some better weather to shoot it more, 40 rounds was not enough, but I really do not like shooting in the rain.
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

DSA Inc. has some uppers listed in the 1/20/10 edition of Shotgun News for as low as $275 (page 125). By the time you get the upper, the bolt and carrier, and the charging handle you have spent about the same as you can get a Del-ton complete upper for. I have been thinking hard about building another AR for myself and have decided to get the upper from Del-ton. I will spend a little more time searching for a good price on the lower and a parts kit for it. I have seen the lowers for as low as $79 but then the parts kit are sky high.
  13. sorral

sorral New Member

I was able to find a lower at a local gun shop. If yo can do that, I would suggest just getting the whole kit from Delton. It comes with everything you need (minus the stripped lower) and the upper is assembled, head spaced, and test fired. All you would really have to do is assemble the lower.
  14. sorral

sorral New Member

Here are some pics of my new toy.
    Stag lower
    Delton Upper
    UTG butt stock and BUIS
    The barrel and front end I was given from a friend
    lower parts were from Delton, triggar assembly I was given from a friend.
    Custom High Desert Camo I did with Krylon Camo paint
    [​IMG]
    base coat
    [​IMG]
    Complete rifle, waiting for good weather to shoot some more.
  15. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

You did a good job but I hope you don't plan on getting bore cleaner overspray on the paint. Bore cleaners will eat the krylon right off.