Ar-15 builds

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by justsomeguy, Apr 14, 2012.

1. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

Just trying to figure out if you guys have a good source for a AR book that explains how to build one. I havent messed with them to much and would like somthing with good detailed explanation and pics. I am a very mechanical person and with just a bit good guidence i know i can knock it out. Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ARs are modular. 99% of the replacement barrels come with the hood already installed and headspaced and the hole drilled for the gas system. The barrel is fixed to the upper via the barrel nut (delta ring on milspec guns or base of the free float tube) torque to 80 ft lbs or so, then the bolt and carrier assembly just slide into the upper. The lower is also fairly simple. Completion instructions for a lower will be inside the lower reciever rebuilt/completion kit. Then pin the upper to the lower and take a mag full of ammo and go shoot. It takes like 20 minutes to completely build an AR from parts in a box.
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I wouldn't even worry with getting a book. You can find everything you need via the web for free.............even good videos that walk you step by step. Midway used to have some very good ones (they may still have them on the site).
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

youtube
  5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am just starting a build myself. I have put together AR's before but they have always been buy an upper and buy a lower and slap them together. This one is from scratch, all I have is small plastic bags of parts and I have ordered more parts. Had to buy tools, too. Luckily, I have an Army Technical Manual that gives detailed instructions. I am looking forward to actually building an AR-15!
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

All you need is a vice with padded jaws,a set of punches, a dead blow hammer, a 3/4" wrench and a USMC armorers tool.
  7. gdmoody

I had to buy the armorers tool and some punches.

If I am reading the manual right, the barrel has to be torqued to something like 30 foot pounds and some other parts have to be torqued down to inch-pounds.
  8. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

This is kinda what i was intending to do the deeper i can into it the better i understand them so i would really like to build one from scratch if possible.
  9. Smoke

Smoke New Member

OK how about something better than a good detailed explanation and pics.
    How about a step by step video, check out this link.
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/Content/Video/LLE_AR15StrippedLower.wmv

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/22...__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html
    Good Luck with your build!
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

So if I have a free float tube, and a low profile DPMS gas block, all I really need is a stripped upper, a barrel and a gas tube to build my Varmint upper for my Rock River?

Do I have to have a RR upper so my bolt and carrier work?

I'm thinking about it myself....
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

30-35 ft./lbs. on the barrel nut George. You are right. Guess I was thinkin lug nuts when i put down 80 earlier.

I always just torque em down as tight as I can get a gas tube hole to line up..
  12. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

Is anyone familiar with the Detroit Gun Works lower receiver? I dont beleive i have crossed paths with them.
  13. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

14. gdmoody

Thank for the links Smoke. It was very simple and I now have my lower together, other than the stock which I haven't received yet. The upper receiver assembly looks to be much more difficult with the gas tube and so forth that has to be done. Here are a couple of pictures of what I have so far.

I am going to build a 20 inch rifle with flat top receiver. I am going to get both the A2 round hand guards and the A1 triangle hand guards and am going with the old A1 three prong flash hider. Most of the parts haven't gotten to me yet!!

Attached Files:

15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The uppers are easier than the lowers george.
  16. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

17. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

Actually i did and i like it a lot but the detroit stuff is manufactured 15 min from my house however i would like to try chimmey stuff to cuz he has help me on a few things.
  18. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I personally think his prices are extremely reasonable.
  19. gdmoody

Thanks ms6852, very informative and it does look easier. I am not using that type of hand guard, as I mentioned I am using the A1 or A2 guards. I know the way they are mounted is different but I should be able to figure it out!
  20. justsomeguy

justsomeguy New Member

Well I just left Detroit Gun Works and I gotta say they are
    gonna be the front runner in no time. The tolerences between the upper and lower are almost zero I will be a dealer Mon.