1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

AR-15 Flash suppressor

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by TheGunClinger, Dec 9, 2010.

1. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was curious if the flash suppressor on my Bushmaster XM-15-E2S will come off. I was told by an "expert" that it will not. I've seen some pretty cool ones out there and would like to try different ones. Here's a pic of the one on it now. Hope my "expert" is incorrect.

Attached Files:

2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

It should just unscrew with a crescent wrench on the flats.
  3. TheGunClinger

Thank you sir. That was quick!
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

yes it will but look for a set pin before taking a wrench to it. It will be offset to the center. Best way to find it is start grinding around the base. You'll see were the pin is. The finish will hide them sometimes.
    Sometimes the pins won't drive out. Get a dremel with a cutting disc and spit it up the middle. Just don't cut into the threads below. Cut a line. Cut all the way through the flash hider up to the muzzle then just about 1/8 in deep over the barrel. Make a relief cut on the opposite side about 1/8in deep the full length. Get a big screwdriver and split the hider starting at the muzzle end. The hider will eventually split in half and then your can pull it away.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Oh be sure to show your "expert" the muzzle w/o the flash hider:p:D
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

My first AR was a bushy E2S exactly like yours. they are one of the few post bans without a flashhider pin and they easily remove with a 3/4 inch wrench.

I highly recommend a cav-comp as a replacement. Improved the accuracy by 100%.
  7. TheGunClinger

A wrench I can do but grinders, dremels, guns and me make for a disaster!!:eek:
    Helix, thanks for the advice but if it requires grinding and such I would bring it to a competent smith, like you and/or JLA. Otherwise, I might end up with a two inch barrel!:D It would sorta be like you trying to replace the compressor on your refrigerator, which to me is a piece of cake.
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

ah come on, where's your sense of adventure:D;). It sound worse than it is but I also totally respect your point. Better then bugger'n it up I guess. :rolleyes:
  9. TheGunClinger

I'd try it on someone elses but not mine! I guess I am not as adventurous as I used to be but I am turning into quite the woosie.:D
  10. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Be careful if it's real tight, you can twist the barrel in the receiver.

Some are LockTited and should be heated first.

If your barrel has a flat spot under the handguard put it in a vice between some wood blocks.

MOST of the time it will come off without any of the above, just a warning.
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

100%? From a flash hider?

How does that work?:confused:
  12. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Yea...explain that. Show some proof or documentation.

Or did you hear this at the gun shop?
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

nope, the birdcage flashhider that comes on most ARs simply spread the muzzle gasses out from the muzzle. the cav comp not only is functional in reducing muzzle flip, not that the standard .223 is a big flipper, but it has an expansion chamber with 3 ports left right and top that are specifically angled to keep the bore steady as well as crate a vortex behind the bullet which is supposed to help it stabilize faster. Before changing to the cav comp i was getting and avg of 1.5-2 MOA from the bench, and after the cav comp was averaging .75-1 MOA from the same bench with the same ammo.

Sorry, no documentation other than my personal experiences form a couple years ago, the rifle has long been traded off for other toys.