AR-15 gas block?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by bustedmp, Dec 2, 2012.

1. bustedmp

bustedmp New Member

Making good progress in my 2 AR builds, I only need a few things to get one finished. I am going to be using low profile gas blocks, but not sure what style. Clamp, or set screw? I think the clamp on style would be less of a hassle, but don't have any first hand knowledge. I just think the clamp on block would be less likely to work loose. Am I worried about the difference between 6 and half a dozen here or what?
  2. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I used a set screw type on my last build. I haven't had any problems with it. A little red Loctite was all I used. I haven't built a lot but I would think that as long as their installed properly any of them would be fine.
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

While I do agree with the above reply, having used both types I would go with the clamp on type.

The clamp on type is easier install, less possible troubles and less trouble to remove and reassemble later.

Even assembled correctly I have seen the set screw type move forward from firing. When it moves enough it blocks of the gas system and you have a single shot. To fix this problem I drill dimples in the barrel for the set screws so it can't move. More work.

Loc-Tite...barrel gets hot from firing. Heat loosens Loc-Tite. Rockset is a better choice since it's not effected by heat.