AR 15 good or bad experience

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Mar 18, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Investig8tor
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/9/01 7:45:15 pm)
    Reply | Del All AR 15 good or bad experience
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What has your experience been with the following AR type firearms.

Results (total votes = 87):
    Bushmaster is best 33 / 37.9%

Olympic Arms rule 4 / 4.6%

Hesse is second to none 2 / 2.3%

Colt, when you care enough to shoot the very best 34 / 39.1%

Armalite makes keeping them in the ten ring easy 14 / 16.1%

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/9/01 7:56:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: AR 15 good or bad experience
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Very hard choice, that depends on what the use will be.
    "POOFBANNED" Huh?

Investig8tor
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/9/01 8:11:43 pm)
    Plinking, shooting varmits both 4 and 2 legged, end of the world survival.....

LIKTOSHOOT
    (7/9/01 8:18:00 pm)
    Ok, now we have narrowed it down?????

Plinking.....the cheapest one
    End of the world.....not "one" of these mouse guns
    Varmits. depends on size and distance

Gotta narrow it down alittle more.....main thing first and it will probably suffice for the rest. LTS
    "POOFBANNED" Huh?

polishshooter
    (7/9/01 8:44:05 pm)
    If no self-respecting hunter would use it for DEER, then it's a toy...
    Patina is a custom finish that must be EARNED to be appreciated.

Investig8tor
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/9/01 8:45:10 pm)
    LTS - The question is what has your experience been with these firearms.

I am in the market and want to know what shooters think.

I am also considering a kit gun.

Investig8tor
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/9/01 8:53:11 pm)
    PolStr - I have never shot a deer with a rifle. I lived in a shotgun only area most of my life and used 12 and 16 deerslayers with great success. Where I live now, a 100 yard shot is considered long because of the underbrush, unless you can afford $500 to belong to a hunt club. I also use a smokepole to keep it interresting.

Would be nice to practice and become proficient at long range - then I'd have to buy a '06 or .270 - and drive 1 1/2 hour to a rifle range to shoot at those distances.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (7/9/01 9:23:44 pm)
    Ok, here`s my shooters corner.

Bushmaster: Best pop for the buck, lots of available add ons, good quality, great service. 16" a decent 1-2" shooter, 20" still short...1-2" all ammo. 24" SWEET! sub MOA`s at 300. The one to beat....if you can find one or the upper and match the lower 26" fluted&floated&tweaked.....knats a$$ at 600, with 72`s and 80`s.

Olympic: Not to bad either, many mouse comp guns are built on this lower. Have shot a few, avg in this group.

Hesse: Take a rain check

Colt: upper end Targets are sweet and pricey....but it`s a Colt and the Targets are just that....sweet shooters

Armalite: Well built, but no better than the others(.223) and very high dollar for the model. I consider the AR10 Armalites forta`. I would only go .308 here.

I have put thousands of rounds down range with most of these and you really can`t go wrong with any(lest Hesse) and I would love to shoot an Armalite, Colt or Olympic with a 26" barrel and that may be whats it`s about for me. I got into these for long distance paper using handrolls from a friend. 26" with the weight...pop-zero recoil....SWEET! JME/ LTS
    "POOFBANNED" Huh?

polishshooter
    (7/9/01 9:40:30 pm)
    Just funnin' with ya 8tor! I'm actually a defender of the 16 in the History forums, it IS the one shoulder-fired weapon in our History that has been Mil. issue for the longest period of time, bar none.

No matter WHAT people say about it, NOTHING stays issue for that long if it's crap. And it IS now king at 1000yds at Perry...

BUT...For the "End of the World?" For a "Long Hunt" where "whatchya brung" is all ya got? Without a slick to resupply you with ammo? Take a Garand or a 14, and make EVERY round count...JMHO.
    I like Browning on my Browning.

Different name
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/10/01 9:20:44 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: AR 15 good or bad experience
    Man O Live----Yank the trigger and watch it crawl the wall or whatever. On the other hand, I've never harvested an animal with a AR. Prefer upland game. Waterfowl. And ocassionally a Flamin Red Head....not a mallard, I mean.
    Colt I like very much!
    Charlie D
    -----------------------
    Be Kind
    ...OK, don't be Kind

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/2/02 10:23:56 am)
    I didn't vote because the Rock River Arms wasn't there.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/2/02 10:26:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Very sweet gun runner john.

I didn't vote because well never shot one.

kyshooter
    (3/2/02 6:43:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del AR15 good or bad experience?
    Looks like from the voting results Colt has it hands down........... Personally, and I'm certainly not some rich snobby type, the only Ar-15 I've ever had any experience with is Colt-the ones I was issued by uncle sam back when, and the one and only one I own now-a 1968 SP-1. That just happens to be the way it worked out. No problems whatsoever with any. Guess I'm in the majority.

gun runner john
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/3/02 12:30:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: AR15 good or bad experience?
    I have a Colt HBAR pre-ban, and it's a fine shooter, but it's a bit heavy. I also have a Carbon-15 lightweight. The Carbon-15 was a PITA until I sent it back several times, they finally got it right. It's the only .223 rifle I've seen that you get real recoil from, I shot around 200 rounds one day with this one, and I had a bruise on my shoulder, never considered the possibility before! I guess at less than 4#, even the .223 can generate a little recoil.

velvetnsteel
    (3/3/02 3:59:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: AR15 good or bad experience?
    Have both a Bushmaster and a Colt.........I do not select one over the other when I go to shoot. The Bushmaster has a heavier barrel, but the accuracy is a toss up between the two. Both have functioned flawlessly to date.

Now I wanna get my hands on one of them 7.62's ....... yep!!
    Long live the Swedish Mauser!!

dlb435
    (3/6/02 8:55:12 pm)
    I've got a Bushmaster lower built up into a 16" carbine. Great little gun. Had a Colt, worst piece of junk I ever shot.

A Professional
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/9/02 9:12:15 pm)
    Get a Bushmaster. I bought a 16" flattop Bushy not long ago, and I've been nothing but pleased with it. The craftsmanship is excellent and the accuracy of the heavy barrel is sweet. Bushmaster keeps it real, their AR's are the closest to mil. spec, and they offer many variations to pick from.

Colt flaw was they were hounded alot by anti gunners. To please them, they made a few changes to their AR15's, such as oversided pins, sear blocks and a few others. This was to make it diffucult to convert a new Colt to full auto. (why would anyone want to do such a thing?) While the gun still functions fine, it's not as easy to exchange parts with a Colt.

If your looking for a "large caliber" AR with great longrange accuracy, get an Armalite AR10 in .308. Just slap on a good optic and your ready to roll.
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
    - Mark Twain (1835-1910)

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/22/02 6:17:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Stoner is not a bad option...
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

boeboe1
    (8/7/02 10:13:53 pm)
    Personally, I am quite happy with my PWA.

kit58105
    (11/2/02 10:55:19 am)
    I have a DPMS. it's great. never shot any of the others.
    I will say one thing, it's no fun with a bad buffer spring.

buckaroobarnes
    (12/20/02 11:39:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del ar Ar AR ARRRGGHHH !
    An AR is an AR is an AR...buy the best you can afford from someone who is reputable and will stand behind their product and then buil it the way you want to do the task at hand!

Yes even cowboys like Ar's (and they don't have to be Colts).

Ever shoot a Bushmaster pistol?

Page 1 2 308bolt
    (12/23/02 5:19:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: AR
    8tor,
    I didn't vote. I don't own an AR but like you I'm considering it. I've shot a few and talked to a lot of owners.
    Conclusion: A Bushy is the best all around bang for your buck. Colts command the best resale value in the long run but tend to be finnicky. I'm thinking that I may not buy an AR at all and go over to Robinson Arms Stoner clone. I'm in no rush to decide and in the interim I'll keep buying .308s .
    P.s.
    One time I heard that the M16 was the best possible solution to a non-existent problem.
    I tend to agree but then I have a certain prejudice that leans towards .308 .
    Steve

Edited by: 308bolt at: 12/23/02 7:12:22 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/24/02 12:00:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: AR
    .....you can carry more .223`s

AND YER GONNA NEED`UM!!!!!!!!!!!!

noital2
    (1/11/03 11:34:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del test
    test

noital2
    (1/11/03 11:38:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Not if you hotload 60 gr Noslers,make each shot count
    you won't. There have been many documented failures with chest hits by 8x 57 Mauser. 7.7 Jap, 308, and 06, when using military fmj ammo, too, you know. The speed of hitting that is possible by an AR-223 man, mostly because of snap-practice with a .22 lr conversion unit, has to be seen to be believed. That is especially true of the M4, and even more so when that M4 is wearing a state of the art Sound Suppressor.

godspeed2
    (1/29/03 8:22:52 pm)
    where can i buy one?

i don't have any experiences, good or bad.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/25/03 9:08:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    welcome godspeed2

Any gunstore should have them.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

jack211268
    (3/2/03 1:37:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del ar-15
    Good.

I'e had many rifles, and I must say the best experience I have had from a semi-auto rifle was the AR-15 made by american spirit arms. It never jammed once the entire time I owned it. Also, I could consistantly hit a posterboard target from 200 yds, standing with no rest, and no scope. That may sound stupid to many of you shooters, but I guess I am not that good a shot. The AR was the best semi auto I have ever had. And when I had to sell it, I knew I would probably never find another like it. Take that for what it is worth.