AR 15 & Harris Bipod, #5 swivel mount adapter

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Rastminikov, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Rastminikov

Rastminikov Former Guest

Hey all,

I have a Bushmaster AR15 rifle w/ the original plastic handguard. I bought the Harris HBSLM 9-13" bipod and #5 swivel mount adapter. I've installed the swivel mount adapter, but was curious as to whether I've done it 100% correctly.

As it is, the flat piece is installed inside the handguard, above the aluminum heatshield (marked Do Not Remove). The swivel mount and the washer (rectangular) are on the outside of the handguard. The bipod mounts fine and seems secure, but I'm not sure if mounting it this way is incorrect. It feels like the aluminum heatshield is being compressed into the plastic handguard - is this bad? It seems to be the only way to install it besides disregarding their clear Do Not Remove instructions lol. (Which I, obviously, would not do...)

I've also read people saying that mounting it directly to the handguard adversely affects accuracy, whereas it is preferable to mount it to a free floating rail system... Big deal? No big deal?