ar-15 legalities

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by board917, Feb 4, 2008.

1. board917

board917 New Member

i am in the process of building an AR-15, but im confused about the legalities. From wut i read an AR with a collapsing stock is considered illegal. IF this is so then how do gun shops get away with selling them? It accepts a detachable mag, has a pistol grip, a collapsible stock and more often than not a flash suppressor.
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

What state do you live in
  3. board917

board917 New Member

4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Board917

Those things are NOT illegal anymore, trick your baby out and enjoy her...But please allow me to be redundant, even if the regulars around here are sick of hearing me say it. Do it now! The ban has indeed sunset (Yes, even for you Florida folks), but they may pass another ban next week for all we know...One thing for sure is that they are constantly trying and they WILL get lucky eventually!

Pick up a hand full of good quality mags while you are at it.

Crpdeth
  5. sorral

sorral New Member

I am thinking about moving to California for business reasons, can I get a good M4 there?.....legally?
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

sorral:

CA still has an Assault Weapons ban. AR's are defintiely outlawed except.....

The law defines an assault weapon as a semi-auto, centerfire cartridge, removable magazine rifle with other features like a thumbhole stock or a protruding pistol grip or a flash hidder (can have a muzzle break) or a minimum length.

The "trick" to CA ownership is to make the gun have a non-removable magazine. For the AR they sell a "bullet activated magazine release button". It replaces the standard one and depressing it with the finger will not release the magazine. You use the point of a bullet to push the button to release the magazine and that makes it legal. The law says that a fixed magazine may be removable with the use of tools and the bullet is defined as a tool.

There are other requirements and a visit to

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

and a few questions there will clarify transfer of the AR-15 to CA and any other leagality questions.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  7. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

Be sure to check your state laws carefully. Here in New York, there was no sunset on the ban, they extended it, and are trying to expand it.

Having an AR here is legal, but, you do have restrictions on it. We can have pre-ban magazines though, which is nice. So I pick up those at the gun shows twice a year. Last spring I cleaned a guy out, bought all that he had. He was a bit surprised, but happy. :D
  8. jinn

jinn New Member

9. 3ME

3ME New Member

Being the Devil's Advocate, and all State and Local Laws not considered, isn't it still illegal to modify a post-ban (one manufactured after the ban began but before it was repealed) AR-15 so that it has a adjustable stock, bayonet lug and flash hider? I may be wrong, and if I am please tell me. I have a Rock River I would love to fit with a decent flash hider instead of that stupid pressed on junk.
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

As far as I know, you can modify a post-ban into a pre-ban configuration. I know Century Arms did that with a bunch of their low-cap WASR-10s that could only accept a singlestack mag. They opened up the mag well so they can take doublestack 30 rd mags.
  11. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

In Texas we can do anything we want to do with our AR's; as long as they meet minimam length requirements. As far as I know, California is the only state with obsurd restrictions.
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

But in California you currently can tailor a military semi-auto (AR, FN-FAL,
    PTR-91, etc) to slip between the lines of the written law. Indeed some barrel attachments can not be used as well as magazine capacities (only ten rounders) and some stock configurations are forbidden. The biggie is that if you meet all the other criteria you only have to disable the magazine release and use a receiver from a gun not listed in the assault weapons ban law. Some of these receivers have a blind magazine making loading of the fixed magazine have to be done thourgh the open chamber, but most have a mag release that requires a tool to actuate (a bullet nose is deemed a tool by the most recent interpretation of the law but any tool is OK).

I now have an AR with a blind magazine well, an FN-FAL that requires an allen wrench to remove the magazine but can be loaded through the top by the use of a cutaway chamber cover and have on order a PTR-91 with a tool operated mag button. There are Saiga semi-auto that come designed for sale in CA that are similar to AK's.

Where there is a will there is a way and in this case a legal way to own some so called assult weapons in CA.

LDBennett
  13. lowracer

lowracer New Member

Just to clarify, you can have 30-rounders in CA if you owned them before the ban and if you put them on a rifle that has none of the "evil" features including the pistol grip. Getting rid of most of the evil features is not a problem since they're largely cosmetic but the pistol grip is a challenge. Several options exist for replacing the pistol grip.

-Mark
    Exile Machine LLC
    www.exilemachine.com
  14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

What the he\\? There was no sunset on the ban in some places? I thought it all ended in 2004? Or was it just a "Federal" ban that ended in 2004? This sucks. I swear, I should move to Minnesota or something. Seems like everywhere you go, you can't do something.
  15. lowracer

lowracer New Member

The Federal ban sunset in 2004. Some of the states liked it so much they wrote it into their own laws. Some states even added to it. The current list I have is CA,CT,DC,MA,NJ,NY, and Cook County (Chicago) IL. Laws vary from state to state, for example the eastern states consider a bayonet lug to be evil, but CA does not.
  16. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

South Dakota would be a even better choice then Minnesota :D