AR 15 lower choices

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by central fl cracker, Jan 17, 2012.

1. central fl cracker

central fl cracker New Member

I am new to AR 15 but have 10 or 12 WW11 rifles so I have been more of an old gun collector. Me and my twin boys are nearly finished building a Romanian AK 47 which proved a little harder than I thought it would. Anyhow I wanted to do a 1911 colt pistol build but boys want to build an AR 15. I have bought an upper Del-Ton and should be receiving it any day. After doing some research on AR's which I know nothing about I found Spikes Tactical is 8 miles from my house in Apopka. I need to buy a stripped lower and like the look of Spike. Since I would save freight and FFL are there stripped lowers considered pretty good? Now that I have done more research I am going to unload this one pretty quick. Next time I just want to buy the barrel and really start from scratch and get a truly customized AR. Like I said with the savings on FFL and Freight would a Spike be a good choice? Also what is a Tax Stamp?
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Most of those AR lowers are built by the same people.....just make sure it is a forged lower. Spikes is fine. BTW I have a Del-Ton upper and it is great......

One of the TFF FFL's would be better at answering the tax stamp questions...
  3. central fl cracker

Who came up with a $ 200 tax stamp it had to be Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton or the annointed one Obameeeeeeeeeee and he has been to busy golfing so probably not im.
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

The only time I know of the $200 tax stamp is from when you buy it to get a silencer..... from like the 1930s or something.....it may apply to machine guns too.....IDK
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The $200 Tax Stamp only pertains to the transfer of a registered short-barrelled rifles, short-barrelled shotguns, suppressors, or full-auto firearms. It will not apply to you building your own AR15 rifle as long as the barrel is at least 16" long. You will not be able to buy a select-fire capable receiver.

This tax was established by the National Firearms Act of 1934, and the amount has never gone up. Hope they never catch on to that...

If you can wait a couple of months, we will be rolling out our AR15 lower receivers which are machined from an aluminum billet.
  6. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

What price point are ya'll looking at for the AR lowers?
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

We will be selling the stripped billet lowers for $150.
  8. central fl cracker

Guess what Spikes has a 4 week backorder on their stripped lowers so what does that tell you. I asked why and he said guns are selling real well because of the economy, Iran and a week President. ( I added the week Pres. part) I just heard on the news Iran sent a paper airplane to Obama and said here is your Drone. True ?? Dont know.

Stone I will go to your website and look. Spike's stripped lowers are $ 99.00
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Spike's $99 stripped lowers are forged, not billet. A stripped billet lower from Spike's costs $315. http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lowers-stripped-lowers-c-104_193.html

Stone's price of $150 is a steal. I haven't looked a ton, but I haven't seen billet lowers for less than $180.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  10. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

StoneChimney's price for that billet lower is good........they also have some good prices on complete guns on their site.
  11. central fl cracker

I could not get the gallery to pull up to see your lowers
  12. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

What are the advantages of a billet lower?
  13. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The billet lowers are not out yet. This first batch still has to go to anodize. As soon as I get complete product in hand I will post pictures. These are milled from billet 7075 aluminum with integral enlarged trigger guard. Comes with a set screw adjustment to take up any loose fit from your upper without resorting to an Accuwedge.

The biggest reason many people choose billet over forged is because they look cooler. We chose to go billet because we are using billet uppers and they mate up better than any forged receiver. These lowers will be on our top-tier AR-15 rifles, we are staying with forged for the entry-level guns (upper and lower). We will be coating the uppers in black, of course, but also FDE and OD green. Bullet pictogram markings with enamel highlighting.
  14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Buy this and finish your rifle-http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-ar15-lower.html You don't need a billet lower but its only money. Won't make one shoot better.
  15. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Forged lowers are perfectly fine for 95% of AR15 rifle builds, as long as the material is 7075-T6 aluminum and correctly finish-machined. We prefer billet on our top-tier rifles because we can absolutely control the dimensions without being dependent upon the consistency of the forging, plus it mates exactly with our side-charge upper. We also use billet on select-fire applications.

Nothing wrong with the Palmetto lower, as far as I know.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012