Ar-15 opinions RRA or Armalite?

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by BigBang, Mar 11, 2005.

1. BigBang

BigBang New Member

Would like to buy a new carbine this spring. What brand do you guys like & why?
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I dont know a whole lot about the different "brands"...But, I can tell you that I have owned a Bushmaster and a DPMS, both are tackdrivers with the proper ammunition...I think you are on the right track where you are looking, but I definately chose Armalite over RRA, like I've said, I have owned neither, but have done ALOT of reading and have found the people generally stick with the "ABC'S" with AR rifles (Armalite-Bushmaster-Colt). Now where price is an issue I would definately NOT be afraid of an RRA, they get good reviews also...The biggest thing people (or should I say new AR buyers) forget is mags and ammo, quite simply they make the AR...Get ya self some labelle mags with the green followers and Federal XM193 ammo.

Crpdeth
  3. BigBang

BigBang New Member

thanks for the input Crpdeth.
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

In this order.

Armalite

DPMS

RRA

Bushmaster

Colt (unless early blue label and back) Then it would fall as number two.
  5. Jay

Jay New Member

I only have 1 AR, so not much experience, but the DEA seems to like RRA.
  6. West

West New Member

Easy question,

1) Colt
    2) Bushmaster
    3) Armalite
    4) RRA
    5) DPMS
    6) Olympic Arms
    7) Atlantic Firearms
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

The Wilson, and Baer products deserve more than minimal attention; niether are cheap, in any sense of the word. Both shoot accordingly.
  8. have2rotties

have2rotties New Member

I agree with his ranking of the companies. Although I might flip flop DPMS and RRA depending on a particular model.

I have had 3 DPMS carbines, 1 ASA(Amercian Spirit Arms)carbine, 1 Colt Match HBAR rifle, and just finnished putting together a RRA HBAR rifle. The fit and finish on the DPMS's is top notch. I still have one of them in a 16" M-4 config. The ASA is an early model back when they used LMT uppers and lowers to assemble thier rifles. It has been 100%. The Colt I had was just more expensive. Was 100% reliable, but so all all the others. I have high hopes for the RRA I just finished. Fit and finish is very nice, should be a tack driver as well.

Good luck,
    -J-
  9. the_end

the_end New Member

I just purchased an Armalite M15A3 16" flat top with removable carry handle, M4 stock, quad picatinny rail front fore end, and tac sling. It's my first AR and I couldn't be happier. No regrets at all but now I'd like a 20 or 24 inch target AR to go with it :)
  10. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

my first choice DPMS, i have 4 (3 223's, 1 308)
    second choice RRA dcm nat match, i have 1 (223) shoots 1/2in at 100yds
  11. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Our Sheriff Office here brought 6 RRA to start off with, the first thing they did was to take them to the range and put 500rds through each one of them,not a single failer to fire, now these fifles have thousands of rounds through them. the only time there was any problem was with a couple of bad magazines.These rifles have 16in Wilson barrels and very good triggers. From the factory they are suppose to shoot 1in groups at 100 yards. The other AR-15 mention all have proven track records, but I would not rule not the Rock River Arms ARs
  12. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

I have an Armalite AR-15 A2 NM. I love it. It is very reliable and extremely accurate out to 300 yards. The only time it has jammed is with the cheap Wolfe ammo. I carrried a Colt M-16 A1 with an M-203 attached in the Army. Although I like the Colt (especially when set to full auto) my Armalite is far more accurate than the model I carried. I have shot a coouple of RRA's, no complaints. Just like the Armalite better.