AR 15 W/ A2 Sights

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by RunningOnMT, Jul 16, 2011.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Was recently examining an M4 carbine with A2 sights. Somebody correctly if I'm wrong but the rear sight aperture appears huge compared to what I remember them being on my M16 over 40 years ago.

It seems to me there's way too much room around the FSB to be very accurate unless you were to spend valuable seconds acquiring a balanced sight picture. Can someone tell me if there was in fact a change in the size of aperture from the original M16 sights.

Does anyone know if smaller aperture leaves are available to replace them without changing the mount?
  2. Boris

Boris Former Guest

A2 sights have the large aperture like you saw. Bonus about A2 sights is they flip to a smaller aperture that you will use 99% of the time...........
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yup. just give the aperture a push front or back and itll flip the small aperture up into battery..

The large aperure is the battle aperture, and is reasonably accurate on man sized targets out to 300 meters. the small aperture is the intended aimed fire aperture and is precise throughout the range of the cartridge
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

The thing is, the one I'm talking about IS the smaller one...and it seems huge to me. Can anyone compare it to A1 sights?
  5. Juker

Juker New Member

There's a heapin' helpin' of these on the market. For comparison, here are four quick pix of the Midwest Industries flip sight offering on my Stag.

Photo 1 shows it folded down, to the rear.
    Photo 2 shows it folded (locked) in the vertical, with large aperture.
    Photo 3 shows the aperture flipped to the rear, bringing the small aperture into the vertical position.
    Photo 4 shows the small aperture with a standard round toothpick inserted; the toothpick will not proceed past the tapered end.

The red arrow in photo 4 indicates the spring-loaded release button for folding the sight to the rear; there's no release for switching the aperture.

Attached Files:

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Juker, how's that sight work for you? What's the make & model no.?

I'm just building my first AR using a Stag lower and Rock River upper and I'm going to be using irons for a while until I decide on what optics to use.
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

Man, I dig it. It's nice and smooth, gives the right "click" when it locks upright. I haven't scoped mine but this would leave ample room. I've been popping silhouettes at 300 yards with no scope using the smaller aperture, which is plenty big once you snuggle up on it.

Here it is on the Midwest website, with a front sight included:
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=362

And here are some sold separately:
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=1k0jToObOM-EsgL9w-ycAw&ved=0CE8Q8wIwAA
  8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Sweet, thanks for the information. I will have A2 fronts, so all I need are the rear sights on the flat-top. I've also toyed with a removable carry handle with built-in rear sight for the flat-top setup.
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

Here's mine, Stag Model 2, posted recently in another thread.

I passed on the carrying handle, remembering vividly my days at Fort Beginning, Georgia, where any 11B caught "carrying" his M16 by the "carrying handle" usually ended up lowcrawling in the chow line for a day or two. :)

I added the single point sling mount and a slip-on recoil pad. She has virtually no recoil, but the edges of that 6-position stock just didn't suit me. Now I'm blasting zombies in cushy comfort. :D

Anybody shopping for one should contact Double D.

Attached Files:

• guns.jpg
      guns.jpg
      File size:
      186.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Very, very nice Juker, that's pretty much the same set-up I'm building. Are you saying Double D sells those nice cushy pads for the back of the 6-position stock? I was just getting ready to order one.
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

Sorry, I meant anyone wanting to buy a Stag should contact Double D. :)

I got the recoil pad for $10 on that big ol' auction site that doesn't sell guns or magazines... ;)
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ROMT.. Check into getting a NM rear sight for your AR..