ar-15 ??

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by remington1990, Jan 28, 2012.

1. remington1990

remington1990 Member

I think I have been bitten by the ar-15 bug been thinking about building one and I have no clue what I should start with I talk to a gunsmith I know and he said he would put it together for me for a good price so I been thinking about what lower to get I like the s&w m&p-15 but I know the dpms are cheap and I have found a dpms lower local. I don't know anything about the ar-15 platform thanks
  2. kcomqg

kcomqg New Member

just buy your lower of choice and a lower kit and buy a complete upper and do it youself no gunsmith needed they are very easy to build the upper will be ready to go all ready headspaced,push two pins in the receiver to hold the upper and go shoot
    u tube has tons of videos on how to assemble them, it took me around 2 hours to build my first, i have built a bunch all shoot great
    all lower brands are good as long as you get a mill spec or name brand
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Assembling your own lower is very simple. I did it myself without help (other than pictures/instructions) in about an hour and a half. I think I had the TV on, too. Now that I've done one, I really believe that it could be done in about 30 minutes without too much trouble.
    Assembling your own upper is more difficult because you have to worry about headspacing, but it can be done. You can also buy a "complete" upper which will have all you need or an "upper assembly" to which you will need to add a bolt carrier group and a charging handle. I bought a complete upper, and assembling it to the lower took about 15 seconds.

Many gunsmiths build great ARs, too, but don't think that you have to be a gunsmith to work on ARs. That really is an "armorer" weapon rather than a "gunsmith" weapon.
  4. remington1990

remington1990 Member

Only reason I lookied at building a upper is I could buy the part here and there instead of having to spend the money for a complete upper. I am going to be on a very tight buget so I ain't going to have alot of money to spend on it at one time thanks
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

AR's are a lot of fun. I work on my own. Like they ^^^ said, it is not that hard. Nothing I have needed a gunsmith for.....yet, although I did buy a few tools.

Once built, have your gunsmith friend check it over.
    Then post pics here. :D
  6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I bought a nice Armalite stripped AR-15 lower at my local gunshop recently and installed Rock River Arms parts in it to complete the lower assembly. After that was done I ordered a complete 16" A4 midlength upper directly from Rock River's website. Putting the upper and lower together to make a complete weapon takes about 15 seconds. My functional AR-15 with a standard A2 front sight and a Magpul MBUS rear sight and one 30-rnd magazine came in at $815. Optics are optional and extra of course.

Truthfully, the S&W M&P-15's at $599 complete are a pretty good deal and seem to work well for those who have purchased them. Depending on your needs and desires for an AR-15 that might be a good way to go.

The stripped lower:

lower_01.jpg

The completed lower with RRA parts installed:

lower_05.jpg

The completed AR-15 with Rock River complete upper installed:

ar-15_05.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012