AR-15

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by CountyWorker, Mar 31, 2010.

1. CountyWorker

CountyWorker New Member

I would appreciate some opinions about this AR-15. I know very little about the ARs, but I would like to purchase one that is NIB in 7.62 x 39. Is this a fair price? Again, any advice would be appreciated.

http://v2.*********.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=162875850

Oops, I guess you can't put links on posts. Here's a few pics. The price is $1600.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

16 is a tad steep for me, but it is a colt. Id say it would be a satisfying purchase if thats what you really want... BTW, you just cant type ********* on this forum its not allowed. Those of us in the know refer to it as simply GB... The bossman prefers BrandX
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Bought my first Colt 15 in late 80's for $440; feel like a fool for not buying a dozen.

I've bought 2 stagg arms 15's and completely satisfied, the new piston model is around 1100.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. CountyWorker

CountyWorker New Member

Thanks for the info. I just cut and pasted the link and the *s automatically replaced GB. Is there another Colt model # I should take a look at?
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I know you might want the 7.62 but I have an identical bushmaster in 223 for 900.00. Just a thought.
  6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

WAY too much in my opinion.:eek:
  7. CountyWorker

CountyWorker New Member

I looked on the forum for a .223 vs .308 thread, but I couldn't find one. I like the idea of a larger cal., but I haven't read the pros and cons of either round for the AR.
  8. CountyWorker

CountyWorker New Member

What's a good price for a similar gun and where should I look to find one?
  9. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    you may want to double think re the 762x39 caliber.it has almost the same ballistics as a 30-30 winchester.also if you dont reload you dont have a lot of choices on ammo.i also think that ammo made for the market is not as accurate as it should be.one other thing and ill shut up.the bullet size on american ammo(diameter)can be different than european ammo. old semperfi
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats because there is no comparison. the only thing both cartridges have in common is being fired from AR type rifles. The .308 is much more powerful than the .223 and they both fill different purposes.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

12. devil8975

devil8975 New Member

1600 is way too much. they usually go less than that with a 223 upper. colt is expensive and not top dawg anymore. you pay alot for the name. Id take a dpms and put 600 dollars in the bank. Also 7.62x39 uppers sometimes have a real problem with feeding in the ar. it has to do with mags usually. they can be finicky at times.

bottom line... nice weapon-too much money tho. And prices on ar's are dropping.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If youre considering an AR in 7.62X39, Might I suggest you look into one chambered in 6.8 SPC. Its ballistically superior to the 7.62X39 and has less recoil. Mags are much better too...;) Dont get me wrong, i love the lil' russian man killer but I just bought a RRA in 6.8 and , wooeee, its alot more accurate, and has just as much knockdown. Its starting to grow on me;)
  14. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

$1600 is way too much. Are you looking to plink, hunt, or target shoot? If you are plinking or target shooting, then I would go with a .223. It is much more accurate, and you have many more choices for ammo. Price for ammo will be about the same as the 7.62x39. If you are buying a rifle to hunt with, then I would go with the .308 platform from DPMS or Rock River. If you shop around, you can find the AR10 .308 for around $1400-$1500 with all the bells and whistles.
  15. Hunting Man

Hunting Man New Member

Also, take a look at Stag arms. I was told by a dealer this past weekend that ammo for the 6.8 is a bit tough to get?? Panther arms, Rock River, Stag, don't know how much difference there really is? Remington has some new AR rifles out as well as S&W. Based on recent gun show offerings the $1600.00 seems about right for the Colt.