AR 223 stopping power

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JasonS, Mar 31, 2012.

1. fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar New Member

:yeahthat:

FMJ goes through and through in a poorly placed shot. My hollow points and soft points will do a lot more damage on the way through.
  2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I did the same thing with a 7.62x39 upper for my AR. "Chubies" (Jack really is the original DNA contributor) are just like Daddy and don't go down easy. I've only ever seen one at deer camp late at nite ,when I'm the last one awake ,staring at a dying fire. Red eyes glowing , just out of the dwindling lite....
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

4. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

The debate about stopping power of .223's has raged so long because it's a good question. The easy answer is there's no 1 perfect caliber. If there were, every army on Earth would have the same gun. The .223 is light and flexible. A 50 cal isn't. They do different things. Is one better than the other?
  5. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

If you want to stop a truck it is. If you want to kill a coyote one's better (unless you can afford $5 a round to kill coyotes). The right tool for the right job. Personally I prefer something a little bigger for SD. But I don't have to carry around my ammo all day and night and all day again. 7.62 x 39 is my primary choice in a battle carbine not because of the rifles (even though a good SKS is a fine machine that will keep chugging along for decades). It's because the extra power of the 7.62 x 39 round is considerably more effective IMO.

I shot a gallon jug (empty antifreeze jug) the other day and it jumped up at least 75 feet in the air. I'm not exaggerating at all. It was down in the creek bed (no water) about 12 feet below the bottom of a telephone pole up on the bank. It went over the telephone pole by at least 30 feet or maybe more. Add another 25-30 feet for the pole and you see it's hitting right at 75 feet. I've seen that happen before from almost the same spot actually. That's a bullet that's pushing a lot of power at 45 yards or so which is how far away I was when I shot at the jug.

To me that's very impressive. I've also seen big chunks of varmints blown right off with 7.62 x 39 rounds. If you hit a bad guy in the right spot and he will suffer significant trauma. I don't even like to think about this stuff because I never want to kill anyone but it's good to know I have the power to do great harm if I must.

I have more powerful rifles of course but they aren't semi-auto, they weren't $100 when I bought them, and they won't hold great big mags if I want them to. There's just that feeling of security when I hold a rifle like that and it's a feeling I don't get when holding my .223. I know it will do the job but not as well as I would like to be honest. I've never sent a jug flying like I have with that SKS. I have no doubt a person can be badly hurt with a .223 round. I just think a 7.62 x 39 gives you a lot more power with the only trade off being the added weight when carrying around several mags. I'm too old to hump it around anyway. Give me an ATV or an SUV or any ORV if I need to move around much. For short jaunts I can carry the extra weight.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yeah that cheap bourbon you folks keep serving a bloke , eyes glow , a bit more and your nose and cheeks do too then ya get really scary ..

yeah a fan of the 7.62 "short" as well eh you can pack as many as for the AR but they give a lot more punch to where ya want it
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  7. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

An AR15 .223 Caliber has alot of stopping power up to 500-600 yards. Perfect weapon for Home Defense.Its also a great weapon to use to go hog hunting with a 30 round clip.
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

What it all comes down to is this. A solider can carry 3 times the ammo in 556 vs 762.

Doesn't matter if the rounds are bigger getting shot with either HURTS like a SUMBITCH.

So why do we want to cut down on the ammo a solider carries. More ammo means they can stay in the fight longer. The longer you can put lead down range on target gives you an advantage. Because 50% of ammo expended is to keep the goat rappers heads down while we move in closer or call in an air strike.
  9. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

It's true that a soldier can carry more ammo for a AR. But I'm not a soldier so I prefer something with a little more punch. I don't plan on doing any patrols any time soon. But I'm glad enough that our soldiers have something better to carry for what they're doing. That would be great in certain environments. Shooting mountaintop to mountaintop probably isn't one of those situations though and I live very close to the mountains.
  10. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

CJ_56 in my opinion bigger is not always better. If someone doped up on drugs breaks into your home at 3:00 a.m. and you hit the center mass they will still keep coming. I saw this in Vietman and in Somalia and Mogadishu in 1992. When they are high they do not know they are already dead, they keep coming at you. Only think that will stop them is a shot to the central nervous system. Bigger gun with more recoil and your adrenaline flowing and your spinchter muscle creating enough pressure to make diamonds out of coal are all factors that act against you in a high stress situation when you only have seconds to react. Your best defense will be a cool head, a well placed shot, and a lot of underwear...I know I've been there.
  11. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I appreciate your service ms6852. I really do. I was close enough to being sent to Vietnam that I spent plenty of time thinking about what that meant. I talked to my friends who did go there and I saw what it did to them. None of them came back as the same person they were when they left. It wasn't like they were bad people or anything. They were just different and I know it took a lot to make them that way.

I can't really see how a 7.62 x 39 is so big it's a factor against me. It's not like it's a 30.06 or something. I never notice the recoil at all. I've put thousands of rounds of it down range through both an SKS and an AK and I've never had a problem hitting what I want to hit even with multiple rounds fired quickly. Sometimes my SKS will rise on me but I've learned to control that almost 20 years ago. That rifle is plenty accurate enough to make hits on whatever presents itself out to 100 yards and it will do center mass shots to 300 yards. That's not really something I see being a need though. Where I live there aren't many 300 yard shots because of the hills and trees. I live in some really heavy woods and hills.

As for a well placed shot, that's about as over used of a statement as I have ever seen. Of course you have to hit something vital to stop someone whether you're using a howitzer or a slingshot. Either one can kill you but one has a much bigger capablity of hitting something vital. I don't know why everyone on every gun board thinks they have to repeat that advice. I really don't. Nothing personal but if a person doesn't know that much they shouldn't be allowed to own a gun (hyperbole only there - I'm not in favor of banning guns for stupid people :) ).

BTW if someone breaks into my house they will get a double tap, one to center mass and the second one to the brain. I can do that quickly and easily when there's no pressure but who knows if they can do it under real pressure until it happens. I won't be using a 7.62 x 39 to do it though.

I do have a .223 that is strictly a long range shooter for me. It's a bolt action varmint gun. I can hit a 2" group at a quarter mile with it. My eyes aren't what they used to be so I use a scope now. But I've seen people use iron sights and hit targets a lot farther than a quarter mile. One was a military trained sniper from WWII or Korea or both. He was an incredibly good shooter.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012