AR-50 Beowulf

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BulletArc47, Nov 29, 2012.

1. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

Really want one, could y'all explain a cheap (Relatively) way of acquiring one. Also, if anyone has one I would appreciate your thoughts on it.

Thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its a thumper round. Theres really no cheap way to attain one. Just save your pennies and order one when you get enough scratch.
  3. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

Bummer. :( I thought about building a lower and buying the "cheapest" (690) upper receiver they had to shave off a couple dollars.

Thought maybe there was some sort-of secret out there, or something stupid like that.:p
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nah. by the time you build the lower youre still spendin the same money if you just bought it.
  5. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

Not mention the cost of the bullet. Still, it's the novelty of all of it that I'm attracted to. One day... :AR15firing:sigh...one day.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally want a .458 socom. Thats my dream AR upper.
  7. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

I just googled it, I've read it named dropped a couple of time in various other forums, (I always thought it was wildcat cartridge for bolt action rifles) had no idea it was built ground-up for AR-15s. Very cool.:cool:
  8. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A local guy was (maybe still is?) selling his for $2500. I like it but not that much.
  9. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

The Beowulf, or the SOCOM? Not that it matters I live Georgia and I don't have the dough anyway.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ive got a RRA LAR6, so all I need is a LAR458 upper. 775 bucks.. Maybe tax season.. hoorah..
  11. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

So many different choices, so many different guns...damn it!:banghead:

:D
  12. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

I have one and I LOVE IT!!!!!
    In fact JLA is loading my ammo for it.
    This gun will drop a deer ware it stands.NO TRACKING!!!
    If you look at other places here( I do not know how to add the other post about this here) you will see what I have posted about the ammo that Josh is reloading for me and also what it does when it hits it's target.
    This all started when our area went from shotgun only to rifle.
    I wanted something that could shoot out to 200 yards but still be able to drop a deer at 50 yards without changing ammo.I wanted drop down power with out compromising long shot accuracy.
    With the new trigger system I put in this year and other add on's and scope I have over $2000 into it. But to me it is worth it.
    Ammo is not bad on price.But did not find one that did what I wanted intill JLA said "I can fix that" now I have a HOT!!!!! round that does EXACTLY what I want.I have taken many deer with this gun and now with the new load I can reach out and touch one off watch the deer drop and sit there for the next one.
    Last year I took 5 shots and dropped 5 deer all in 4 hours.(DPMS farm tags)
    The only draw back that I can see is I needed to get the ear plugs that let you hear what is going on around you but shuts down The big bang when I fire.
    This is a loud gun when I am hunting and take a shot every one around knows it's me shooting.
    I think this gun is well worth the investment for what I needed.AND WANTED!
    Mike
    PS.One thing I get a kick out of is when I am walking down my road from one spot to another(this is a dirt road with 4 houses on it that is a dead end and 8 miles long)If someone drives by (there are 5 hunting camps on my road) they stop and say "thats not a .223 with that muzzle what the he** is it?"When they are told that it's a .50 cal I usually here "Remind me not to trespass on your land".
    I got this buck last year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  13. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

Beowolf, I got an Lar458 3 years ago as my reward for quitting cigarettes. Bought the die and brass and 300 Gr hollow points. Fantastic rifle. RRA (Rock River Arms) guarantees a 1.5" group at 100 yds out of the box. Dropped a deer this year at 70 yds with it. Didn't have a chance to run, dropped right in its tracks. HAd it at the local range last year and the guy next to wanted to know what I was going to use that "mini-mortar" for.

Here are some pics of my deer this year. The first one is of the general area anf the second is of the spine after I cut the back strap out. The bullet left a wound permanent channel almost 3" in diameter.

View attachment 70639

View attachment 70640
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  14. BulletArc47

BulletArc47 New Member

Nice!

Yeah, those muzzle brakes are louder than a fog horn; but they're great for recoil reduction. Slap a limb saver on there and it'll probably be one of the most comfortable big-bore gun you got.

That cartridge really put the smack down on that deer, the damage is brutal lookin'!

Neat.

How was the venison!?:D
  15. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

It dose not kick at all.It has less kick then a 20ga.
    Mike
  16. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

THe venison so far has tasted great.
    Vitually no bruising. THe bullet went through too fast. The wound channel was about 2".
  17. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

If you get a hold of an upper, you should be able to use any multi-cal lower. At least, that's what I heard. Even if you did get it kinda cheap, the ammo is still $30-50 a box, unless you hand/reload.