AR ammo question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mjforster, Nov 9, 2008.

1. mjforster

mjforster New Member

I have a bushmaster m4. When i first bought the gun I was using Wolf .223 rounds with a steel case because it was by far the cheapest I could find. I never had any problems with it but was told that there is a coating on the steel case that burns off the in rifle and will build up on the action and will eventually jam the action on it. I have since been shooting only brass case ammo but have had to cut back on shooting due to the price. I'm just curious if the info given to me was true. Thanks in advance.
  2. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

There is a polymer coating that turns to a glue like substance when firing the laquered wolf ammo, I have and do shoot it often and have never had any problems, just make sure to give a super cleaning after shooting and your baby should be just fine :)
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I found with wolf ammo that the buildup of coating happens within the extractor assembly, so remove the extractor ENTIRELY apart from the bolt and you will find alot of that reddish gunk inside.
    You should start reloading! .223 has to be the one cartridge that has a huge margin of savings when you reload, I've got my price down to .23 cents/round.