The Firearms Forum banner

AR Brand Suggestions

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Hedge 
#1 · (Edited)
My friend is shopping around for an AR-15 rifle and I was just wondering what brands you guys would suggest? Money really isn't an issue here, but obviously he doesn't want a $3,000 piece of equipment. I've taken him to a couple gun shows to kind of get a feel for the different stuff an he wants an AR-15.

What would you guys suggest? Is Colt good? What are some of the features he'd want to look for?

#2 ·
I don't think there are any firearm manufacturers to completely avoid, except for maybe a few individual models. Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS, and Stag have very good reputations with their AR15s. Try to see what your friend wants, as far as a basic 16" barrel open sight model or a flat top model to mount a scope and longer barrel or a red dot sight? Or something in between? Collapsable stock or the full stock? What type of shooting will he be doing?

#3 · (Edited)
I realy like my Rock River Arms LAR-15 in 5.56. They are known for their reliability and comes with a 1 MOA factory guarantee. Mine does better than that in the accuracy department. My 16" mid-length A4 flat top with iron sights and 1-30 round mag. came to $815. I haven't found anything about it that I don't like. Their complete rifles range from $750 to $1,200 depending on the features you want. Mine is just a standard AR-15 without any fancy bells & whistles. :cool:

Here's a link to their site where you can check it out:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=213

Here's mine, the optics are extra cost of course:

#4 · (Edited)
It would primarily be a SD weapon and occasional target shooting weapon. Yes, he liked the ones with the adjustable stock. I think the one we were playing around with was the Bushmaster. I did like the Rock River Arms one I saw at the Waukesha Gun Show as well.

Also, how long does the barrel have to be before it has to be registered as a short-barreled rifle? I thought it was 16.5"? They're not illegal in our state, but just wondering.

And I guess the biggest questions is "what features are absolutely necessary to have?"

#5 · (Edited)
It would primarily be a SD weapon and occasional target shooting weapon. Yes, he liked the ones with the adjustable stock. I think the one we were playing around with was the Bushmaster. I did like the Rock River Arms one I saw at the Waukesha Gun Show as well.

Also, how long does the barrel have to be before it has to be registered as a short-barreled rifle? I thought it was 16.5"? They're not illegal in our state, but just wondering.

And I guess the biggest questions is "what features are absolutely necessary to have?"
Combination of barrel & fixed flash hider need to be a min. 16" or you will need a stamp from ATF for a SBR. That means for example, you can have a 14.5" barrel with a fixed 1.5" flash hider that permanently attached with 1100 degree solder and it will be good to to go. The flash hider is actually longer than 1.5" because of the threaded part that overlaps the barrel and doesn't count in the overall length calulations.

If you go with a standard 16" barrel or longer the flash hider can just be threaded on without being permanently attached BTW.

#6 ·
Now,now............I think we all need to look at Stone Chimney's stuff. Looking at the specs it is a great product and a really good price point for what you get.

I built mine from a Rock river stripped lower and Del-Ton upper kit. I have a Rock River LAR8 also and their stuff is nice.

But, IMO all the basic entry guns from all of the "big names" are just too similar to pick and choose. They don't really change much till you start the upgrades. That opinion is based on about 2 years of research on all of them too......

#8 ·
Here is the Stag I bought last summer and I love it!
Good for self defence with the front grip/light/laser and a good AR to
wack out coyotes with. ;) (now, i've added a diff. scope mount/base on it,
not in the pic)

http://www.stagarms.com/
Stags and Armalites are also some very good brands with excellent reputations to be considered.

G
#11 ·
As long as you buy a decent quality AR any of the big manufactures will suit you well.

I myself own a RRA and Love it. It is so accurate I am thinking of selling off my Remington 700 or trading it for a Savage 12bvss in 308.

#22 ·
I have a RRA 16" operator. Chromed bolt & carrier with lapped CM barrel, floating forend. Excellent quality, tight, and smooth.

Loaded up some 50 gr. Varmint grenades and shot this 5 shot group. It's a 2" patch and I had to move up to 80 yds to see it well enough to use the battle sights. But I'm satisfied it's a shooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.