1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ar build

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by zkovach, Jan 29, 2011.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I am heading to a gun show this week and was wonddering if there is any advatages or disadvantages to buying upper and lower ar pieces vs. Buying a new one in the store? Is it cheaper to piece them together?
  2. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Depends on what parts you buy.
  3. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Can u explain a bit more.
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I built mine with a Rock River stripped lower $130 and a Del Ton complete upper kit that had M4 feed ramps, chrome lined barrel, and a chrome bolt $600. So all together $730.... when I was looking at complete guns with those options they were typically close to $1000 or some crappy brand. I would always suggest building your own.
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Pre-built Del-ton rifles are available for $750 from here http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifles_16_s/198.htm. Your total of $730 was for a stripped lower plus an upper. You still had to add the rest of the lower, which I doubt you got for under $20. Bad example

In general, it's possible to build a better rifle for the price than you can buy. Del-ton (and probably others) offer rifle "kits" where you just add your own stripped lower and build it. You're essentially saving the cost of labor. You can also save the cost of buying replacement parts by buying exactly what you want the first time.
  6. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

My invoice:

TL1015 Spanner Wrench
    1 $3.95 $3.95
    RKT104 16" Mid-Length Rifle Kit
    [16 Rifle Kit - ML Barrel:DTI 16" 1x7 Mid-Length Chrome Lined Heavy Barrel]
    [16 Rifle Kit / Rifle -ML Handguards:Mid-Length Handguard with Heat Shields]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle -BC:Chrome Bolt & Carrier]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle -Buttstock:M4 Buttstock - Black]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle -Grips:A2 Grip - Black]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-Carrying Handle:None]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-Flash Hiders:A2 Flash Hider]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-Gas Blocks:Standard A2 Front Sight]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-Lower Parts:Standard Lower Parts]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-T Handle:Standard Charging Handle]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-Uppers:Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps] 1 $590.00 $590.00

Subtotal: $593.95

Like I said.......$730 for everything (lower parts and all). You just need to shop around to get what you want...not what they want you to have. No offense CampingJosh, but I wouldn't quote a price that wasn't correct and I know enough to include all the parts into my pricing. So, I would say that is a GREAT example of smart buying.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I'm glad to hear you got it all for $730. That really is a good deal. (I still would point out that in your first post you said "stripped lower" + "complete upper.")

You can probably go even cheaper if you're willing to be an early adopter of the polymer AR lowers. A complete lower can be shipped to your FFL for $119 by Upstate Armory Group. They also sell complete Del-ton uppers for $399 including shipping, so you could "assemble" it yourself for under $550 including transfer. Not a bad deal at all on that one.
  8. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

LOL.....just to make everything very clear. I said a stripped lower and a complete upper "kit"....most complete kits come with everything except the lower receiver, but I understand where you were going. I did a lot of research and narrowed my choices of lowers down to CMMG, RRA, DPMS, and Stag. They seemed to be the ones with the best reputation. $130 was a good price on the RRA lower, so I ran with that (I actually got 2, still waiting to buy parts for second gun, might do a complete build this time). The Del Ton upper was a no brainer for me, great reviews and very quick turnaround....only took a week for mine to be delivered. RRA had a wait of about 3-6 months at the time.......that is crazy.

Zkovach, the main point is that there are really good prices out there if you take the time to look and do research. There are loads of guys that will only stick with Colt or something like a Bushmaster....but there are just as many that stick to these other less know brands. The main this I suggest is not to just jump on something without doing the research. If you have a cell phone with internet access....take it in the gunshow and don't be afraid to look and compare right there on the spot because I have been finding that there aren't as many good deals at the gunshows like there used to be.
  9. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I agree on the deals not being there anymore. I appreciate your input guys you helped shed a lot of light on this!
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I'm in jlloyds camp. This one is all Del-Ton (except the RRA trigger). I would strongly recommend building the lower. No special tools are required, but beware the pesky springs in some stages of building. They can launch like a rocket.:eek::mad: Best to be in confined quarters.;)

20" chrome heavy free floated barrel
    RRA two stage match trigger (HIGHLY recommended)
    Burris P.E.P.R. mount
    Symmons White tail Classic scope (6.5-20x50 AO)
    Harris swivel bi-pod with leg notches
    Two 20 round, and two 30 round Pmags
    About a grand, give or take.

I've no idea how many lower manufactureres there are out there, but I have a hard time believing that every offerer has it's own plant. I'm more inclined to think that there may be a few that will 'stamp yer brand' as you wish.

I've also read the Colt lowers have different diameter pins than most. Buyer beware.

Anywho, here's a $1000 dollar Del-Ton AR.

Attached Files:

11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Got it. Yeah, I've never dealt with one of the kits, so I didn't know. Thanks for explaining for those of us who are sometimes slow. :)
  12. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Well thanks guys I was at the gun shows this weekend and I found a brand new dpms in 308 for 1000 so I bought it. It's pretty nice!
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Picture time! :D:D (It's OK if you want to do it in a new thread, but you'd better show that thing off.)