1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

AR hunting

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by sorral, May 13, 2007.

1. sorral

sorral New Member

I am about to put together a DPMS ar15 kit. I will use it for plinking and If I can get a law enforcement job, use it for that. But I was wondering, is an AR15 in .223 good for hunting anything other than terrorists?
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

FYI, he .223 started it's life as a varmint round, and many AR type rifles are marketed for that too...

With the right bullet and placement, it might be OK up to medium sized game, even if a larger round would be better....IF the state allowed SA rifles, and in that small of a caliber...

I know a guy who uses (or USED to anyway, 20+ years ago...) a Bolt Action .223 to hunt deer in PA, with SOME success according to him, but the couple of times I hunted with him he never got one so I couldn't tell you how it worked...

And my wife used to hunt deer in PA with her Grandfather and I with his .222 Turkey rifle, with some supposedly "stiff" handloads he worked up, but mainly because it was the only rifle he had she liked and could shoot well, but we BOTH thanked our lucky stars every season she hunted that she never actually SHOT it at anything....:cool:
    Last edited: May 13, 2007
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

While it may work fine, a .223 is not legal to hunt big game with in this state. Nothing smaller than a .24 is allowed. Might want to check your local laws.
  4. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I have hunted and killed deer with the Ar-15 in .223. This was years ago with hollow points. Now I hunt deer with DPX and Partition in 55 gr.. I love the expansion of the DPX. Basically it is shot placement as with anything you hunt whether it be two or four legged.
  5. Dutchman

Dutchman New Member

From what I understand it's minimal even for terrorists let alone game animals.
  6. colt

colt New Member

If you can't kill a terrorist with a .223 you need to aim for the head.
  7. Jimdo

Jimdo New Member

It's a very popular varmint caliber and used quite often for anything up to a Whitetail Deer. (Tough, I wouldn't use it for Deer personally)
    Lots 'o guys use it for varmint hunting here in IL.
  8. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Minnesota just relaxed their restrictions on deer hunting last year to include the .223. I know a few people that used them sucsessfully. Although shot placement and a good expanding bullet are key to bringing one down with one shot. I used my 25-06 last year but I'm considering my AR for this year.
  9. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

.223 is fine for deer as long as you use almost anything besides FMJ. If shooting a fawn or doe, go ahead and aim for the head to be safe ;)
  10. miestro_jerry

miestro_jerry New Member

I have a Colt AR15 HBAR NM, it is one of the best ground hog and coyote rifles I ever had. Much better than the Triple Deuce.

Jerry
  11. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

We live in the middle of where everyone who can, comes to hunt. Tell any one of us you're going hunting anything larger than a coyote with a .223 and you'll hear... "Uhh. Yeah. So..... How's the wife and kids".

A well placed shot from a 22LR will bring down a Whitetail or Mule deer. Nobody around here is going to count on that to happen with any regularity.
    Why would you roll the dice on losing a wounded deer in the woods? There are calibers for varmints, deer, elk, moose, bear and even humans. Use the most efficient caliber. If all you have is a .223 for deer, then wait until you can afford the right rifle/caliber.
    IMNSHO, of course.

Latigo
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Don't know where you live, but the .223 is illegal in some states, OK in others. In LA you can take deer with anything .22 cal. centerfire, or larger. My dad dicided to try his luck with the .22 Hornet, he managed to kill two deer with no problems, then on the third try he found out why the smaller cal. .22 rounds don't perform well on deer! Personally, I would stick to varmet hunting with this caliber. Just because it will kill a deer sized animal, if shot placement is spot on, doesn't mean you gotta try it.
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

They're illegal in Washington for big game (as opposed to varmints).
    On the other hand, I can shoot an elk in the butt with a 30.06 and it's apparantly ok?:rolleyes:

.243s are legal, so I guess 2 hundreths of an inch makes all the difference in the world.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
  14. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Do a quick ballistics check and see what else is different besides two thousandths.:D

Latigo