AR magazines

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by RunningOnMT, Aug 13, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

What brand 30 rd mags do you use? Does anyone have experience with the commonly available mags with the green plastic followers? Any problems with them?

Last week I was shooting my AR and came across one mag that wouldn't feed. I dropped the mag and discovered the rounds at the top were loose. Then I found that I could turn the mag upside down and dump all the rounds out. The follower was stuck all the way down at the bottom of the mag. It got cocked somehow. Now I'm thinking this would not be good in any kind of tactical situation. The thing is, I have fired thousands of rounds though an M16 and never had a mag malfunction in this way.

So what do you AR owners think? Are these mags sub par? Do you think taking them apart and lubing them with a little SBGO would help? These are essentially brand new and have never even been apart.
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I primarily use Pmags.........I also use the common aluminum mags that are military surplus (green followers). I have not had any issues with any of them.

Make sure the mag is clean (I use a little SBGO inside mine)....... if it continues......switch to the anti-tilt followers.
  3. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

I don't know the answer to you question, But I would like to know more about the AR mags. I need to buy a couple. I've been using Bushmaster mags without a problem. But would like to know if there is better ones available!
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Surplus mags and pmags are work well.
  5. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

Idk i recommend pmags and the spring might be going bad
  6. Tmergen24

Tmergen24 New Member

Or the Mag might be cracked or slightly bent causing the follower to stick
  7. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I've used most of the AR mag brands out there. When I have a mag that does what yours did, I just change out the follower with a good anti-tilt one and a new spring. It's done wonders for the ones I've had problems with. Here is the follower I prefer
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...-magazine-follower-ar-15-polymer-package-of-3
    and here is the spring
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/239309/cmmg-magazine-spring-ar-15-30-round-braided-wire
    I have had to cut a coil or two of the spring on some mags to be able to load all 30 rounds.
  8. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

P-Mags or military surplus mags with Magpul anti-tilt followers is all I use and never have a problem.

My only complaint with the P-Mag is they are wider and don't work well in some mag pouches. A lot of pouches made for two or three regular mags will only fit one less P-mag. But they are great for everything else.

Those old green followers are not very good, replace them with the Magpul followers and you will have a good mag.

They sell them everywhere, here's one place.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-Enhanced-Follower-p/mag110%20follower.htm
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thanks speedy and hugger. I'll order some of these followers. I don't think the springs are the problem as they are brand new. In fact some of them haven"t been out of the pkg yet as I usually only take 4 or 5 to the range. I guess I really should load them all up to check their function.

Here's the add for these mags. As you can see, they didn't cost very much compared to some mags. I just wanted to make sure they aren't cheap junk. The customer reviews are good anyway.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines dh gt30.htm
  10. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

p mags period
  11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I use these from DSG Arms in Ft. Worth, TX They are flawless. I have several dozen of them and have never had a failure. Can't beat the $9.25 /Ea. price either. DSG has very low shipping too.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-02DSGB.aspx

Features:

30 round capacity
    Black teflon coated, aluminum construction with a hard anodized finish
    Flat Dark Earth, Gen III, anti-tilt follower from MAGPUL Industries
    HK 416 and M27 IAR Compatible
    SCAR Compatible
    Corrosion resistant, stainless steel spring
    Removeable steel floorplate
    Lightweight (approx 4oz)
    Fits in standard magazine pouches
    Cost effective
    Corrosion resistant
    U.S. Manufactured.
  12. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

P mags for me now. Standard GI issue with green followers are decent but get dented easily. HK mags are way too heavy. Pmags work and won't dent, never jam.
  13. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Alot of AR shooters forget to clean the magazines too. There is a reason why we did this in the military. I have always used mil spec mags and never had an issue.
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I mostly use Pmags, surplus military, or Bushmaster mags. I bought a couple of "Cheap" off brand metal ones a while back and that happened to both of them. On one of them, I couldn't pry the follower up no matter what I did. They were both deposited very quickly in the "round file"!
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

the standard GI ones, whenever they get a dent in them, the standard is to take your helmet or whatever and whack them into oblivion so that they don't get mixed back into your good mags. Take it to the supply guy after that and DX the crappy one for a brand new one. No question in anyone's mind that the mag is toast when it's almost flat!
  16. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I own a bunch of various new and surplus gray mags with the green followers as well as a bunch of plastic Mag-puls and have yet to have my first malfunction with any of them from my Rock River.

That being said, the mag is the WEAKEST link of any firearm, so having learned from my IPSC days with my .45, I scribed a destinctive mark in EVERY mag so I can tell them apart...

When I DO have my first malfunction due to a mag which I know WILL happen someday, I WILL know which one it is, and which one I will have to play with or sell...:cool:

The first three quality mags I bought for my .45 I built in 1982 were all factory new colt 7 round mags that I paid as much for as the good competition Wilson and Pachmayer mags I bought in the late 80s...

And I scribed I, II, and III in bottom side of them right before I glued on the erasers for bottom pads...

I and III are STILL in my mag pouches and I would still trust them with my life, but II malfunctioned a couple of times in matches and I still have the body of it floating around in my parts boxes somewhere alongside the one Wilson that failed and a Pachmayer that came apart somewhere along the 150k to 200k rounds I fired through them all...:cool:;)

Bottom line, buy as much quality that you can but don't be afraid to buy used or surplus, just MARK them all BEFORE you use them, and "retire" the ones that fail in practice...

(by the way, the FIRST mag I bought for my .45 when I built it was a $3 no-name "milsurp" mag I bought at a gunshow...which I turned into my "charger" mag when I bought the expensive ones I intended to compete with...

I STILL have that mag, painted up with red letters "CHARGER" on the sides so I would not trust my life or a match on it...

But the darn cheap thing has NEVER malfuntioned...and if I HAD to, :cool: Ok, yeah, I just MIGHT have it in my back pocket as a "spare" when I carry....;)
  17. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

What's a "charger" mag, Shooter?
  18. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

It's for quickly loading the one "up the spout" without having to carry around loose rounds to fumble with adding one to the carry mag after loading.

I learned about them from watching other shooters in my early IPSC days, some of the A class did it that way and I saw how much easier it was than the way I and every other newbie was doing it.

Just carry an extra loaded mag in your back pocket next to your wallet, load it first, jack the slide, then change to your first full mag and you are set.

Plus in a pinch you have that mag with 5 or 6 rounds left in it if you go through all your other mags on your belt.;)

I used (use?) that old milsurp one for that, with no bumpers on it so it would conceal better in my back pocket.

Plus I wouldn't hurt any of my "good" mags sitting on them;):)
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  19. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

In competition maybe it matters to have 30+1, but in combat I think most experienced combat troopers will be using 29+1 or 28+1. As an old dog, I opt to never fully load my AR mag's to avoid the possibility of a jam, so I use 28+1. It's just an old habit that I trust. The new mag's with the anti-tilt follower in them ARE much more reliable than the older ones. Jamming a mag. with 30 onboard in an AR bolt-closed and one in the tube would have almost certainly resulted in a failure-to-feed with the older mag's.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  20. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i'm sure my gun is considered a toy by real ar owners.. it's a keltec su-16c.. but I like it.

I use the surp mags with green followers.. never have an issue. must have 15 of them. have never had a feed issue.. ever...