AR magazines

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by RunningOnMT, Aug 13, 2012.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Snake, you are right, most guys since Vietnam never load up completely. However, I usually do load up completely with my Rock RIver, and although I only have range time and P'dog hunting with it, I have yet to have my frirst malfunction with either the gray metal ones or the MagPuls.

I was referring to the "one up the spout" to my .45.

But I treat my AR mags just like I did with all my .45 mags, that is marking them so I can tell them apart, so if and when I have problems with one I know exactly which one gave me the trouble so I can pull it out of service until I have the time to fix it and test it again in practice before I put it back into "serious" service.
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

My AR is a Rock River too! :cool: Never had any kind of failure in it. I should do some testing I guess, as all my 30's are the modern metal ones with the Magpul Gen 3 follower. I've heard they are much less likely to jam with a full load. Old habits just die hard for the old dogs! ;)
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I also load 29 in my M4 mags; HK states to only put 29 in there's so I asked "why do you sell a 30 round magazine that only is supposed to hold 29 rounds???" They should call it a 29 round magazine then. But it's a good enough rule, one round difference in 30 is nothing.

I do 3 green tip, two or three tracers, 9-10 green tip, 2 tracers and topped off with green tip. First tracer I see i know i have at least a half mag, when I start seeing tracers past that I know to finish it/dump it quick and reload.

I also tape around the bottom of the mag (not the floorplate but the body) to keep the noise to a minimum in their pouches and still do a loop of 550 also on the bottom.
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

AA, that all sounds like really good practice. I especially like the tracers at the bottom of the mag. to help clue you in that you're about to run dry.

It sounds like you've got some field experience. :cool:

ETA: Care to post a pic of the 550 loop & how it is attached to the bottom of the mag.? I like the idea of it.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

5 trips and counting to the land of big sandbox! Sounds like you've got some good experience also Snakedriver from reading a bunch of your posts on here

I used to carry 2 full mags of nothing but tracers when I was an AG on a M240 team; I would use it to show targets to the gunner in certain cases; really little need for me to shoot then though as primary job is feeding ammo.

Some guys use different combos of tracers, like last 5 are tracer but I want as much green tip as possible in my mag so I use the above method. Even at extreme close range they are visible (usually), even in daylight, as they will stay lit no matter what. even on steel, they will ricochet into the ground or up in the air and keep burning.

550 cord is for hooking them onto a caribeaner/steel oval or whatever on your kit if you don't have a dump bag. or just to help organize them in your tuff box.

and like someone else said on here I think, gotta clean 'em once in a while! I do keep the same springs with their respective mags as well as the followers. Shouldn't really matter but I don't leave it to chance. Soap and water and some brushes does the trick.
  6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

AA it's off topic, but I am so moved by the number of deployments you guys have been on. In my day a guy who had three tours was big deal. I have a couple of friends who had more than that, but they are the exception.

You have my deepest respect and admiration for the work you have done in the service to your Country.
  7. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Same here, thank you!
  8. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Thanks to both of you for your service. I'm in awe of you guys.

My son has decided to not reenlist after 3 years and is getting out this October. He never deployed, but spent 2 years in Korea with the 2nd ID when most of his class went to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Says the cutbacks in the Army now is making it not as fun as it once was, and now at Ft Lewis he doesn't like it at all.

I think after two years in an Abrams the Strykers are a let down for him.

Plus his second kid is due next month and he wants to spend more time as Daddy.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

thank you fellas, I do appreciate it! It's good to be loved for what you do and I have a lot of respect for you guys on here as well; tons of knowledge and experience that I have benefited from in the short time I've been a member here. Every day I learn something new from you folks, I've no doubt it will continue! I'm younger than most folks here as well (31) so I know you 'seasoned' fellas know a thing or two I don't yet.

I will have to take some pics of my taped mags to show better what I'm talking about, I have standard GI, HK and Pmags mostly. Something I learned in my first unit and it's just been habit since then anytime I get new mags.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

P-mags.... taped with some 100mph tape (duct tape), about 2 -3 layer wrap is plenty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some original GI mags w/ 550 cord loops:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

start with about a 7-8" piece of 550 cord (gutted) and just tie overhand knots in each end and burn to keep from fraying; put in place and close the floorplate 'pinching' it in place, the knot keeps it from pulling free. I have not had any issues whatsoever loading all 30 rounds, the knots don't interfere at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

many of my mags have pull cords as well.. and no problems loading full either..
  12. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Nice, the pictures are excellent and show exactly what I needed to know. It's a simple & economical solution that accomplishes the same thing as the expensive Magpul magazine endplates. :cool:
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yep! I love the idea of the magpul plates and ranger plates, whatever; even the rubber slip on deals. But I hate them in application, they do not stack well inside a mag pouch (or not fit at all in shingles) and the bottom plates don't interface with standard mag pouches as well either. I'd take the magpul plate over the slip on rubber deals if I had to choose though.

550 is cheap (free) and works just as well.

Don't know where my HK mags are, those are kinda wierd as they have an angle on the bottom so you have to pull the tape off kilter to stay parallel to the bottom. They're MUCH heavier though and even though they work good, I'd rather stick with original GI or really nowadays, the P-mags are king. Carrying 10-12 of them on your kit, that weight was noticeably more than standard mags.