AR Optics Mounting?

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Sandman, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I think I am going to pick up a Bushmaster with the standard carrying handle / iron sights package. I do want to be able to mount a scope, although most use will be iron sights.

Looking online, I see one adapter (weaver or picatinny to carrying handle) for about $65 or $75, and a whole bunch that look similar but run anywhere from $10 to $25. Some of these are names I recognize, like DPMS. The only difference that I can see in the descriptions / specs is that the high dollar model says you can remove and reinstall without losing zero.

Anyone have any experience / recommendations with any of these systems?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Do get one that wont lose zero. I had a DPMS on my bushy that was a see thru mount so i didnt have to remove it. it was a picatinny rail and I put a Burris PEPR mount and a Burris fullfield 2 3-9X40mm with ballistic plex. It was a damn reliable plinker out to 250 yds. That is the set-up i recommend to you since it worked flawlessly for me for over a year until I sold my ARs...:(
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I bought a preban colt A2 for $440 in late 80s with old style carry handle. A few years back I put that cheap leupold AR scope with the mount that has a stud to handle. I've taken it off a couple times and holds zero when I replace.

Those Warne mounts look sweet too, can mount 2 scopes side by side. It's expensive, 200 bucks but I bet it works. In midway. It has to be mounted on rail, not carry handle.
  4. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I saw a DPMS one listed. I think it was about $20 to $25. Is that the same one you have?
  5. Sandman

Sandman New Member

6. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I have that one Sandman, and no way would I expect it to hold zero.
    It fits very snug in the handle, but it's only one screw holding it there.

Add to that, that the scope sits quite high on the rifle. No way are you gonna get a good cheek weld on it.:(

If you're talking about a removable carry handle that goes back to a flat top receiver, JLA has it spot on. The PEPR is the way to go.

Sad to hear that Josh sold his. Heres a couple pics of mine.

Attached Files:

7. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Burris has a winner with the P.E.P.R. mounting system. I have it too, and recommend it frequently. Shop around a little as some offer it cheaper than others.
  8. Sandman

Sandman New Member

My carry handle is not removeable, so I need something to mount on top. I found a Leupold base at Cabelas and bought it, but when I got it home, it mounts flat to the top of the carry handle, which means it has about a ten degree down angle on it. That does me absolutely no good! I guess that base is for holographic or reflex sights. I want something that I can mount a scope on. The first one I saw ($66) seems to have a ridge running at an angle to make the top of the base level. I guess I will go with that one.
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Good luck.

Let us know what you think.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

11. Sandman

Sandman New Member

If you are happy with that one, than maybe I will give it a shot.
  12. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

I have one like gdmoody for my M&P works great for me