AR performance issues - Need some input.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by bluesea112, May 6, 2012.

1. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Several years ago, I bought a Bushmaster Varmint series rifle chambered in .223. That rifle gave me headaches from the start. It was short cycling, and about half the time it would not eject the spend case. I sent it back to Bushmaster 3 (Three) times, and each time they said their repair department fired a full magazine through it without any problems. I finally came to terms with the fact that Bushmaster employs bafoons and gave up.

My second AR purchase was a Smith & Wesson M&P15. That rifle fires like a dream. It will cycle old corroded ammo as well as top end cartridges without a hiccup. Anything I fire through that rifle punches a 3/4" group at 100 yards.

I would like to buy another AR, but I keep wondering if the great performance of the Smith AR I bought was a fluke or the standard? I know I don't want to buy a Bushmaster, because their repair technicians are sub-par at best.

I would like to hear some of your opinions on AR rifles. Is there a particular manufacturer that is known for producing rifles that are more reliable than everybody else? What I want is a rifle that will print groups under 1" at 100 yards that will also cycle both cheap and expensive ammo. When the shtf, you have to use whatever ammo is available at the time, so I want a rifle that will cycle everything...including cartridges that are not loaded to maximum pressures and green corroded junk.

What say you?
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I bought the Stag Arms Model 3 (5.56) some time back and it'll shoot/cycle about any ammo
    I've put through it, with the exception of the TulAmmo.
    Right after I bought the AR, I bought some of the TulAmmo for the price, as it was cheap
    to buy and found out, the Stag wont take it!
    As far as groups, it'll shoot sub-moa at 100yds with several brands of factory ammo.
    I havent had an issue with it since I bought it new, (right at a year ago) and have put
    lord knows, how many rounds through it so far!
    I have NO complaint at all with the Stag AR!
    Pic below is right after I'd bought it. Since then, I changed scope mounts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I recommend a DPMS Lo Pro Charles. The one I had was not at all picky and loved to shoot 1/2 inch groups.
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

When I made my AR buying decision recently, my research took me to Rock River Arms (RRA). Their rifles are known for their accuracy and along with a Lifetime Performance Warranty also come with a 1" Accuracy Guarantee. Some of their Varmit models come with a 3/4" Accuracy Guarantee.

They can be ordered direct from the factory on their website with the features you want and then sent to your local gun dealer for transfer to you or you may be able find one at your local gun shop. $900 to $1200 for a complete rifle would be common.

I've been very pleased with the way mine has performed so far and I know you'd be thrilled with one too.
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

The M&P 15sport i have is a dream. Acurate as no other rifle at 1000 dolars or below will be. fires ever cheap or pricy ammo I have tried. Love that R5 barrel and the melonite treatment on it.
  6. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

Just bought an AR from Superior arms. So far I've been impressed, Dosent have a scope yet but the open site shooting that I've done so far has been pretty accurate. Their guns carry a Lifetime warranty to the original owner. So far it hasn't missed a beat.
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

bluesea, If you still have the rifle, check the bolt carrier key fit to the end of the gas tube. Bushmaster had a QC problem with some parts, and that is the most common problem.
  8. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

another M&P owner, can't recall ever having a stoppage.
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

We never see issues with the M&P's. DPMS, Stags or Armalites. Olympics are really the only troublemakers that we get.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have had three Bushmasters, two regular old gas impingement system and one gas piston, never had any kind of problems with them at al. I no longer have the two regular gas systems ones. I did buy a 5.45X39 upper and attached it to the Bushmaster that I kept. The only problem I had with that one was several FTF because the hammer spring was too weak. The upper is a S&W and it came a new spring. After changing the spring, no more problems. I have a Rock River lower on layaway at my local shop so I can put my Bushmaster back together.

I also just built one using parts from every where and the upper and lower being an R-Guns matched set.
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

An afterthought just came to me. I was reading a story in Shotgun News a couple of weeks ago. When the owner of Bushmaster sold his company to some huge outfit, they closed down the plant and moved the operation to New York. It left all of these people in Windham, Maine out of a job. The owner of the old Bushmaster opened up a new place and hired all of his old employees back. The place is named Windham Weaponry.

Here is a link to their site, where the story is: http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopnews.asp?type=Windham Weaponry: An Inspiring Tale
  12. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Helix, I've heard all kinds of bad things about Oly Arms AR's.
    Is this something that's common with all the post factory fire rifles, or just Oly in general?
    I had two I bought in '82 before the fire, Hbar prototype was stolen back in 91, still have the carbine. Both function without a hiccup. I've lost count on how many rounds this carbine has had through it, well over 6000 by now. Still puts em all in the X ring if I do my part.
    The only time I had a problem, was when Wolf ammo first hit the market with the lacquer coated cases. What a PITA to clean that mess out!:mad: The newer poly coated stuff cycles through it like a bug through a goose.
  13. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

I have a question... Are we talking about Box-stock 16" carbines? Because if we are some of you guys are so full of $hit your eyes must be brown. You will NEVER see consistent 1/2"-3/4" groups out of a 16" box-stock S&W, DPMS, RRA, ARMALITE, BUSHMASTER or any other AR Carbine in the price range of those... PERIOD! 1-2 MOA is about it. Not sayin' you can't get lucky. But the rifle won't do it consistently.
  14. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

My Colt M4 would do it and it was stock. 100 yds 1/2'' groups.
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  15. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Eyes are brown, and runny! There is an excellent reason why the barrels for National Match are 20".