The Firearms Forum banner

AR performance issues - Need some input.

8K views 54 replies 21 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
Several years ago, I bought a Bushmaster Varmint series rifle chambered in .223. That rifle gave me headaches from the start. It was short cycling, and about half the time it would not eject the spend case. I sent it back to Bushmaster 3 (Three) times, and each time they said their repair department fired a full magazine through it without any problems. I finally came to terms with the fact that Bushmaster employs bafoons and gave up.

My second AR purchase was a Smith & Wesson M&P15. That rifle fires like a dream. It will cycle old corroded ammo as well as top end cartridges without a hiccup. Anything I fire through that rifle punches a 3/4" group at 100 yards.

I would like to buy another AR, but I keep wondering if the great performance of the Smith AR I bought was a fluke or the standard? I know I don't want to buy a Bushmaster, because their repair technicians are sub-par at best.

I would like to hear some of your opinions on AR rifles. Is there a particular manufacturer that is known for producing rifles that are more reliable than everybody else? What I want is a rifle that will print groups under 1" at 100 yards that will also cycle both cheap and expensive ammo. When the shtf, you have to use whatever ammo is available at the time, so I want a rifle that will cycle everything...including cartridges that are not loaded to maximum pressures and green corroded junk.

What say you?

See less See more
#52 ·
Couldnt agree more Cyclone. Cept Ill add that you can custom tailor ammo to a specific rifle thru careful handloading and make a real tackshooter out of even a 16 inch barrel carbine.
Catching up on posts and couldn't resist.

Gotta agree JLA. It isn't barrel length that determines accuracy. I qualified Distinguished Expert with the LASD using a 2" S&W bodyguard. 30 rounds at 60 feet. Punched out the 10 ring and 2x9s. 298 out of 300.

It's just trigger control and consistent practice, practice, practice.

#53 ·
yessir. All barrel length has a direct effect on is muzzle velocity.

#55 ·
Come on! On the internet, EVERYONE can shoot 1/2" groups all day long. ;)
Youre absolutely right, its easy to be what you aint online. But thats also why my invitation remains open. I have a range in Godley TX, anyone caring to spend a day shooting with me can do so free of charge and I have backers from 25 yds to 250 yds every 50 yds beyond 50 yds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.