AR performance issues - Need some input.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by bluesea112, May 6, 2012.

1. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I guess they didn't pay attention when it was time to snap in...I did and always shot expert. It is the reason why my grandfather gave me all of his rifles and he was a Camp Perry Shooter on Civilian teams in the 40's and 50's.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The thing i dont get is shooting well really isnt that hard. It just takes practice and precise application of basic fundamentals. Making sure you do everything the exact same way every single time, and going further to ensure each and every round is as exact to the one before and after it as possible, of course this is only if you handload. Simple attention to detail and the precise application of basic skills. Nothing more.

It irritates me that you get a couple guys that just cant do it, and are too damn stubborn and proud to forget what they think they know and learn it again, then call eveyone that can do it a liar because it just cant be possible if they cant do it.. :dontknow:

My own Father is like that, guy cant hit the broad side of a barn form inside it with a handgun, but if he gets one shot on the target he will swear every single bullet went thru the same exact hole.
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's it Josh, you nailed it! It's alot to do with repetition and doing it the same way every, single time. And praticeing the same, over and over until it become a natural instict when you put your finger on the trigger.

I know several people like that and you cannot tell them a thing! I was with one guy at the range, an old friend. For starters, we got the long range rifles out and got set up. I got set up with sand bags and was set. Well, he didnt "use" sand bags he said and that's all good, what ever works I told him!
    He wasnt useing them and was shooting with a different "hold" every single shot. I thought I might share my thoughts as to why he couldnt hold a 2"group at 100yds. He didnt wanna hear it at all, and all he had to say was, "we all have bad days!" I agreed with him.
    Ya cant fix stupid...just cant be done! That was the first and last time we'd ever shot together.:rolleyes:
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

do you folks have a thing whereby if you score a "possible"

the club gives you a small medal or something?? we do here

we mainly use it in pistol comps but do so at a lot of places for rifle as well

back when i had a AR http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showpost.php?p=588231&postcount=71

i shot a possible at the combined tourney with it thats 200m 400m and 600m

if you note the rifle , its the same as sent by colt after i got the permit to import
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

It was just cool too see one big spotter disc at the 300 yard line and the red/white shot marker lolipop waving back and forth when I was in the USMC. It was kinda like telling everyone "hey look what I can do".
  6. guntech59

guntech59 New Member

Come on! On the internet, EVERYONE can shoot 1/2" groups all day long. ;)
  7. Hedge

Hedge New Member

Catching up on posts and couldn't resist.

Gotta agree JLA. It isn't barrel length that determines accuracy. I qualified Distinguished Expert with the LASD using a 2" S&W bodyguard. 30 rounds at 60 feet. Punched out the 10 ring and 2x9s. 298 out of 300.

It's just trigger control and consistent practice, practice, practice.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yessir. All barrel length has a direct effect on is muzzle velocity.
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I need to stay on the internet more, cause I sure as hell can't!! I can hold my own but haven't won a trophy in many years. I am taking three AR'a out in the morning to see what I can do (two 16" and one 20" barrels).
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Youre absolutely right, its easy to be what you aint online. But thats also why my invitation remains open. I have a range in Godley TX, anyone caring to spend a day shooting with me can do so free of charge and I have backers from 25 yds to 250 yds every 50 yds beyond 50 yds.