AR scope

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by dodgeboy12008, Sep 7, 2012.

1. dodgeboy12008

dodgeboy12008 New Member

I just bought an M4 carbine. I am now trying to find a scope for it. The nikon p233 3-9 bdc looks tempting, but, I dont know how a 12 inch long scope would look and function on such a short rifle. Can anybody offer some insight?
    Thank you.
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I'd like to offer my opinion on a scope but first we would need to know what your main use and expectations are for it.

For example, shooting at a 200 yard range from a bench for tight groups would require a different optic than a guy looking to shoot in 3 gun matches.

There is NO optic that does it all.

I own the following for my AR's, (2) 4X ACOG's, 512 EOTech, 4-16X Weaver, 3X Osprey Nightvision and they all have their purpose with little overlapping.

And very important...what is the most you are willing to spend on the optic and mount if also needed? $100 or $1000 sure changes your options. And remember one thing...with optics you get what you pay for. There are no choices that are both cheap and good. Stay away from brands like NCStar and other low end optics made in China because the odds are that they will fail and they just waste your money.

The Nikon you mentioned is a good choice, I don't own that model but I haven't read anything bad about it. The Nikon scopes that I do own have been very good.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Good advice, and I guess I am in the same boat, looking for the best "all around" choice.

I bought my 16" Rock River HB set up with a 'Dominator" rear which allows a Eotech to 'Co-Witness' with the iron sights....

But have never had the reason to do so, yet...I'm too old to REALLY need an "Entry Weapon," but it would be cool to have...

But I HAVE used it for varmints, and with a 3x9 Bushnell on it, it will give me about an inch at 100 with good ammo, that I cannot get with iron sights-(old eyes too!:p)

SO I have been looking at the Nikon for it as well, but am thinking of either a 2-7 or even a fixed 4x if I can find one, smaller package, and still should be good at close range...

Yeah I look at all the exotic 3 gun stuff, like a scope with an offset red dot or reflex sight on it too...thinking I could get it all....BUT....

But I'm thinking the best course will be another upper....a longer barrel varmint set up with a dedicated Nikon or Leupold AR scope, and a Eotech on the original as it was intended....

Leave both then in a case set up for what I intend them for.....

Yeah it's only money, but then in my experience, "Compromises" that sound good on paper rarely measure up to what you want to achieve at either end.....

You want bench type accuracy you better have a bench rest set up and give up some of the "Quick and handy...."---you want "Quick and Handy," you can get that too, but you will give up some of the "bench rest accuracy...."

Only you can decide what you want more of, and I believe you CAN'T have "The best of both worlds" with one sighting system, but you CAN tweak it so you get more of one than the other to suit your actual needs.
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I'm using a small, light 2-7X32 scope with a mil-dot reticle on my RRA mid-length. I have it mounted in a RRA one-piece mount. For my purposes shooting out to 200 yards it's perfect. It has ample eye relief so I don't have to have a scope jammed in my face when I shoot.

The RRA mount allows me to pop it off in seconds, shoot with my irons and then quickly put it back on the rifle without any loss of zero. A nice setup for the way I like to shoot. I make sure to practice with my irons every time I go to the range.

ETA: BTW, there's nothing wrong with the Nikon you're looking at.

[​IMG]
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Leupold, Nikon, if you buy anything made by them, you will likely be very very satisfied.

For me, Elcan spectre is my choice if money wasn't an issue; they're big and ugly but are hands down my favorite, 1-4x with a flick of a lever, used it from 0-800m without any problems. (except for the $2-4000 price tag) ACOG's are fantastic also.

Leupold offers quite a few good choices of say 2-7 power variables or fixed power scopes for $2-300 that would do very well. The Nikon you looked at is a very good choice too IMO.

As for look and function, a 12" scope isn't going to look bad at all, seen much bigger scopes on these littel fellas without looking stupid or getting in the way.

I have a hard time shopping for optics these days, there's so many choices and prices are getting better (relatively) but like most things, you get what you pay for (if you're lucky).
  6. jpdusn

jpdusn New Member

I have a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC mounted on a Remington R-25 (308). I have no regrets with this scope. It holds the adjustments I input until "I" input new ones regardless of any normal rifle use. As far as looks go, I don't really care. It is a tool not a trophy and I'm very satisfied with the function of this tool. I practice regularly at 300 yds because I'm a hunter and very seldom shoot at game beyond that distance. I don't shoot metal plates at 400, 500, 600 yds because they don't bleed, don't die, and don't taste good. (No offense guys) So for the use that I task this scope to do and the price I paid for it, I am very content and happy with this purchase for for my AR style rifle.
  7. polishshooter

Snake, what kind of folding BUIS is that?

My problem is my rear is on the Dominator, which runs the full length of the flattop upper and I can't get a decent scope mount onto the dominator. iIt is designed to mount an Eotech in front of the rear sight and naturally raise it up to cowitness....but the slots in front of the rear sights are too close to get both conventional scope mounts on it and clear the rear sight with the scope....but then maybe if I use that scope mount, HHhhmmmm....

When I remove the Dominator and mount the scope directly to the upper it works fine, but then I lose the BUIS without remounting the Dominator, which isn't hard to do and stays in zero, but one more thing to carry and attach detach in a hurry.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It looks exactly like the Magpul that I have except for the screw up front. Mine has a hex head instead of the slot.

I have a new upper coming for my AR, supposed to be delivered on Monday. I will probably just stick one of my old scopes on it or I might put the EOTech on it. I can tell you one AR scope to stay away from, the Barska is one of those inexpensive ones and it has the worst cloudy lenses I have ever seen.
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, that's the Magpul Gen 2 MBUS. It works very well and has a very low profile when in the stored position. It's made of composite material and not steel. Some people don't like them for that reason, but they seem very sturdy to me.

The RRA scope mount is their cantilevered model that sit's up front leaving room for sights and such behind it.

I also have a LMT fixed rear sight that is similar the the Dominator sight if I ever decide to go strictly with irons.
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

As the other guys said, it's a Magpul. If you want to see one, I'm just down the road.
  11. polishshooter

Josh I just might take you up on it, LOL.

I changed my schedule to stay close to home today and went to Shelbyville, and thought about you when I went past the Rushville CC...

They still shoot Skeet on Tuesdays and Fridays?

With my son coming home to live with us for a while and bringing his shotguns, we may just meet up with you there when he gets home...
  12. polishshooter

Snakedriver, the more I look at it the more I think that RRA scope mount may work in front of the Dominator rear...

How much does it cost?
  13. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I just realized that we don't have an Optics/Sights forum here.

Why is that?:confused:

I recently found a Unertl Hawk scope and was going to post a few pictures. Where?

Sorry...don't want to hijack this thread, no need to reply just think about an optics forum.
  14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

$56 + shipping at Joe Bob Outfitters.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Rock_River_Arms_Hi_Rise_1_Cantilever_Scope_Mount_p/rra-ar0130t.htm

They ship really fast and offer free shipping if your order value is over $90. Also, if you're a Veteran they offer a 5% discount by entering THANKYOU in the coupon code.

Rock River sells the mount for $60 and it may be a better deal from them if that's all you're buying because they may still offer free shipping if your order is over $25.
  15. polishshooter

Hugger, I have been here almost from the begining, and I can ASSURE you no one here has "hijacked" more threads than ME....;):D

Gosh, I figure I have learned more from long running "Highjacked" threads than I could ever from some "concentrated" ones.

So to any and all that I may have contributed to a "Hijack," Mea Culpa...
    ;)

Now as to your idea about an optics forum, HHHHMmmmm...

Maybe I'll just send a note to the powers that be, that sounds like a GREAT idea....but you just might have to be the mod for it since it was YOUR idea....;):):):)
  16. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I haven't heard them shooting in a bit, but that doesn't mean anything.
  17. dodgeboy12008

dodgeboy12008 New Member

Im thinking of using the rifle for plinking and possibly coyotes. I am not looking for a benchrest rifle. Just something for having fun and wasting money mostly. I was hoping to stay at or around $300, not including the mount.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012