archery question ?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by remington1990, Nov 3, 2012.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I am not experienced in archery and just been thinking about getting a bow or getting mind fix. My problem is my bow is a older and it needs a new arrow rest new sights and a new string so I am just thinking about getting another one. I am needing advice I have found some nice used one pretty affordable and I know a place that has some newold stock to also what about crossbow? thanks
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Check with your state laws crossbows are not legal in some states for hunting deer.
    A compound bow has a longer range then a crossbow but ALLOT less power.
    But you can mount a scope(red dot with no magnification) and do not have to worry about holding at full draw with a crossbow.
    I have watched every deer I have hit with my crossbow drop inside of 75 yards.
    It hits them so fast and hard they just walk away and drop.The bolt goes right through them.
    Mike
  3. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Remington.. I had an older "golden eagle" compound with composite wood limbs.. I was told to never use it, in fear of the limbs separating in their old age... So I went to the local "super sporting store" and picked up an inexpensive "modern" compound It was a refurbished unit).. I like it (spent less than 250) and the guys there helped me "tune" and sight it to "my personal" shooting abilities... Ill rip fletchings off my target arrows at 45 yards... now I just shoot one practice arrow at a time because my groups are that tight.

I dont know what state your in... But Michigan allows cross bows for every one now (not just disabled people) Sales went way up!
  4. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

I have had the limbs check its pretty shape as far the limb and bow it self. I am in tn and they let you use crossbow and I like the scope on red dot sights because I ain't fixture how to use the sights
  5. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

North carolina has a bow and crossbow season prior to regular deer season whem ANY weapon can be used (black powder, rifle, cross bow, and reg bow:D
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i just purchaes a crossbow,i live in indiana and it is now legal to use all season long.i do disagree about a crossbow not shooting as far as a compound but he could be right.im 61 and a compound is much harder to hold on a full draw than it used to be.i bought a horton realtree 175hd and its bad to the bone. old semperfi
  7. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Remington I from mi and have a bow for sale, or if u want some local info on where to go. Pm me