Are any of you guys experiencing barriers

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by Lapua Kid, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

Just interested, in this day and time are any of you expericencing barriers . I have been in the shooting world for quite a few years . As a general rule most clubs bend over backwards as most people . I wish more people would get out and join clubs it may would open up more doors.
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I assume that you are talking of "barriers to joining". Around here, I believe that most shooting clubs are readily looking for new members. They're fools if they aren't. You need to be recruiting, actively, the next generation of members.
  3. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

I've found that websites are not up to date, contact numbers are not correct, meeting times and places are not correct.

Further, since I'm in a power chair, some types of activities I simply cannot participate in, and the locations used are not compatible. For example, an outdoor range that is rough, and subject to being muddy is not an option. Clubs that do a lot of combined fire at targets requiring up and down movements (prone, etc). So, details as to what they do, etc would be very helpful.
  4. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

Nope not with joining but with being able to get around . I belong to multi clubs most clubs for the part will bend over backwards to help if you asked and some you dont have to ask or push a issue . Guess i'm the type that i see a problem i fix it or get it fixed . I have personally paided labors with my money to come fix or fill ditches so we could rolled across without dropping guns from machines being rewired and nope i didn't run telling the club what i did . Would you like to drop your Krieghoff factory engraved gun with custom fitted wood on the ground ? Not me either . No Ive never had any issues with being able to join . I have offered to pay to have somethings corrected example rewiring so i can shoot skeet by myself from my own pocket as i didnt want to cause the club to spend extra for just me. I just wish these club officers would make a little effort to get more insight that's all as I know with being in the electricial field cost would have been near 0 if had been done at rewire . Stupidity is no excuse . We all need to educate one another . Some of us chair guys can still do alot of the shooting sports with minium small changes that will not affect anyone or cost any extra if planned in advance . I was once blind to the situation and it was before my injury . Educate everyone educate its the smart ones that ask. Gesh we are here together. I hate the label disable or the guy in the chair. And yes i have shown interest in being an officer to help and show another view point. Get out there guys damn it we have a life too. I refuse to be treated different. We walk side by side. Hey i have seen both sides I'm a realistic person. Generally speaking everyone is great 99.9 % .I've just ran across a few generally old timers that think we should be at home watching TV i guess and i love the look on the face when they walk off the skeet field being beat by a guy in a chair. Some of us enjoy challenges . Keepem coming Winners never quit and Quitters never win . Damn i just want to stop and catch my breath. :) See you out on the skeet field . Safety #1 #2 we all are here together lets make the best of everything . Life is great
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  5. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

I just talked to another chair shooter he lives over in the Shenandoah Valley .We were talking about when he and I use to shoot years ago at a private club and how they welcomed us imagine that . He later was invited to a local trap club they had 3 fields, skeet or trap well they shot a few rounds with being at a new field he noticed people were watching him yes we notice these things . Actually i enjoy . Like hey he can do that wow . He shot and paided was welcomed back at another time. Well 1 weekend they decide to go again they went and the club told him to go to the last field he said ok got down to the field and had noticed they had put bark mulch where he was to roll on . He said i got the message that they didnt want him there. Well i chatted with him last night and i told him that i hoped he was wrong in that case. Guys that what i'm talking about . We are starting to have alot of vets coming home i hope they dont have to endure this garbage or non thinking . Just have a open mind .These son of b------ that think they know everything are sometimes wrong and some of us refuse to live in a closet you better get use to it. What a shame in America and look what some of these boys gave so you have these rights. Wake up Stupidity has no place in my world. Would like to thank some of the people working with the wounded warriors and etc. TY Tod Bender ,John Shuma to name a couple. Darn i wished i would have not had to write this and used my energy in a more constructive way. I just hope that this enlightens someone . Truely I'm not a bad person or me me me .
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  6. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

Damn i must be living in the wrong area or either you disabled guys dont shoot much
  7. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I'm a disabled veteran. I love to shoot my firearms but have nowhere to shoot. There's a range not far from where I live but they want to much to join. $150.00, plus you have to be a member of the, NRA. You also have to work a certain number of hours on the grounds each month. The later I could do as long it didn't include lifting. But being on, Govt. disability, I just can't fit it into my budget. When I explained this to the club all they said was,..... Oh yeah, we see your point. I hear of vets getting a little special treatment these days, but not around here.
  8. Mark Cline

Mark Cline New Member

our local club is always willing to let anyone join. Some of the most friendly and open group of people I have ever met. I guess more groups around should have a more open mind :/
  9. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

Lapua Kid, you said, "the club told him to go to the last field he said ok got down to the field and had noticed they had put bark mulch where he was to roll on ."

Is it possible they did that especially for him, thinking it would be an improvement? If that is the case, rather than objecting to what happened, you should be glad they would take the extra effort to accomodate your situation - even if they were in error. Now the thing to do would be to explain in more detail what works - and what doesn't and why.

I'm not in a chair but I'm disabled. I wish you and your friend the very best - and that includes a good and thoughtful club.

BullShoot
  10. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

We try really hard at our club to accomadate anyone who wants to shoot. We have pay options. If you work it costs about 25 $ less per year. I'm not disabled,or have much money, but back conditions and age make it hard for me to work, so I find the extra $25. Some times a club just doesn't understand the needs of guys in chairs. They may not get it right, but I bet if you speak up, you'll get some response to your situation. That's here though, so I can't speak for other clubs. We cut our membership off at 1000, and we have 2-300 waiting every year to join. Not a big club, just good people.
  11. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

You know I wondered the same thing about the pine or hardwood bark or mulch and i confronted my long time friend questioning the same all i can say is he answered with no hesitation , yes he fealt as he was not welcomed at this club people staring at him sending him up to that field . Hey I have no idea i wasnt there but this guy is about as level headed as anyone that comes alone and it wasnt only him his coworkers that went with him said the same Instead of making any issues he just stopped shooting what a shame. Guys I have been shooting skeet for 17 years some years i averaged 10,000 shells a year in the game yes some are caring but this isnt about caring its about being able too if you or i or he chooses too. You know this is still 1 sport that i can compete in on a equal level I achive great satisfaction from shooting . I'm as safe if not safer than most but even at the year 2011 some of us are still experience barriers that could be taken care of. Thanks for all the replies i wish more would notice. Hey i did speak up 1 time i asked the club if they would allow me to get electrician to come out and install buttons for cutting on the houses so i could shoot by myself at my expense . I'm the only disabled person in a chair at my club and personally i dont think its right for them to have to pay just for me . The following month i heard rumors that i wanted the club to install elevators in all 3 high houses. Now this club has 400 members it cost 200.00 a year with 6 figure bank accounts. Pretty sad aint it a year later nothing has been achived.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

anyone can get in and out of the range that i go to and so what if they look they will stop looking when u wipe them out at skeet
  13. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

Hey Beth consider yourself lucky .While some clubs will bend backwards to help without even asking then there are other clubs that could care less. Sad but true . You know its the good ole boys club and it fits their needs and so be it.
  14. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

"While some clubs will bend backwards to help without even asking then there are other clubs that could care less. Sad but true . You know its the good ole boys club and it fits their needs and so be it."

Sounds like you got your head on straight. As for the fools who discriminate against disabilities... I have a word or two for them... but won't use them on this family forum.

Enjoy your shooting - if we ever meet in person, expect me to ask you for lessons.

BullShoot
  15. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

Hey Bull , I'm always willing to learn and i'm always willing to enjoy good fellowship with good people .If you are ever in the area of central VA shoot me a message .I'll treat for a round or 2 and even catch the burger and cola.

Take care and thanksssssssssss