Are AR-15's accurate?

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by 45nut, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Prichard

Prichard New Member

AR15 v. Mini-14

Out of the box, I'd agree a decent AR15 will be much more accurate than a mini-14.

However, when modified, both guns can be made to be very accurate, with no real difference between the two. The big difference is that it is easier to accruize the AR15 than the Mini-14. Accurizing the Mini-14 is costly and must be done by a competant gunsmith.

For those of you who don't believe me that a Mini-14 can't be made to be as accurate as an AR15, first look at the Accuracy Systems website and see what they can do with the Mini-14, then comment. You might then ask "why" spend that kind of money accurizing a Mini-14? In free states you probably wouldn't. In non-free states, the AR15 is not available to civilians. Also, don't forget about the full-auto "mini", it's brother the AC556. Some of us couldn't afford thousands of dollars more for a RR M16 and opted for an AC556, but can still afford to have certain reasonable mods done to it to make it a little more accurate in semi-auto.
  2. JD

JD *VMBB Admin*

!X9 twist rate is for civilians, 1X7 is the real thang! ;)
  3. Mark

Mark New Member

Why?
    Mark
  4. sierra308

sierra308 New Member

I have an Olympic Arms A3 with a 20" heavy SS barrel,1/8 twist,free float hand guard and a match trigger.$800 from the local gun shop.So far no malfunctions and I shot a 10 shot 1/2" group at 100 yds from a rest using reloads.The 4.5-14 Tactical Leupold VX III sure helped though.So far I really like it.I also have a CMMG Upper 18" barrel 1/8 twist on a Stag Arms lower that shoots almost as well.It will not run some of the cheap surplus ammo,haven't had any problems with any U.S. made ammo.My Bushmaster M-4 will shoot sub moa with good reloads.
  5. sorral

sorral New Member

I just got done ordering all my parts for my M4. My buddy helped me narrow down my choices(he is the armorer). We ordered a panther flat top upper with a chromed barrel, 4 position collapsible stock, and a removable carry handle... and a single point sling.
    Almost forgot the two 30 round mags.

should be here in a few days. can't wait to get it built!!!!:D
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

I've had 2 pre ban Oly's I'd match up against any Bushy or Colt. The one of the two that was stolen was the prototype for the H-bar..........yes.........they came up with it before Colt even thought about it!
    24" heavy bbl,1-7 twist, free floating fore arm and all internals were hard chromed. With Sierra 69grn BTHP handloads, it would print 1-1.25" groups at 600 meters from a benchrest.
  7. sierra308

sierra308 New Member

trap55, I have an Olympic Arms Gun I'm trying to identify.It was bought new in 1984,24'' heavy barrel, 1in7 twist,free float fore arm,muzzle break instead of a flash suppressor,no forward assist or brass deflector.The serial # on the lower begins with HK.Any ideas?
  8. Terry G

Terry G New Member

I have two Colt SP-1's. One twenty inch barrel full size, and one 16 inch collapsible stock carbine. Both will do one inch groups at 100 yards with any decent ammunition. Olympia Arms shoot as well as Bushmasters, in my opinion. AR-15's by most makers will out shoot the shooter, so it's just a judgement call. Have fun with whatever you choose.

Attached Files:

9. whip

whip New Member

I must admit I had the same question about the AR platform. I owned a Mini 14 back in the early 80s and sold it when I couldn't get it to shoot much under 2 or 3inches at 100 yards. Scope mounts were shaky at best for the Mini. Well I went and bought a RRA Predator rifle with a 20inch 1:8 twist barrel. Im extremely pleased with the accuracy. I loaded up some 69 gr Seirra Matchking BTHP bullets pushed by 24.5 grs of Varget. The three shot group was close to .411. Here is a pic of the target. RRA dime.jpg
  10. a1huntingsupply

a1huntingsupply New Member

Out of the two listed I would go with the Bushmaster. If you are on a budget the Olympic is a great value. They are better now then they use to be in my opinion. The Bushmaster probably cost more than it should but it will retain it's value better.

My Bushmaster
    [​IMG]
  11. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I am the self-designated, injector of humor, in a thread that starts to turn pissy....:rolleyes:

40 years ago, the only sure fire dependable use of an AR was as a "TENT POLE".....:p
    (note right side of picture)

The "Dependable Gun" is in the back ground....:D

To this day...the closest thing that I have in my arsenal to an AR-15 is a Kel-Tec PLR-16

[​IMG]
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Too bad we can see the whole gun in that pic...I think it's resting against something.

Crpdeth
  13. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Nope.......the bayonet stuck in the ground is the only thing holding

that untrustworthy tent pole up.....:rolleyes:
  14. Sarge

Sarge Former Guest

Yes an AR 15 is very accurate at 100 yds!
    I bought a Colt AR 15 in 1970, right after I got back from RVN.
    About 7 years later I killed a cyote early one morning. He was trotting down a fence line straight away from me at about 125 yds, looking over his shoulder at me. I shot him in the head. Only took one shot.
    I still have that rifle. I also have another and a CAR 15 (which is what I carried in RVN - Never had a problem with it!).
    Since I own colt AR 15s I've never had any neeed to play with any of the clones, so don't know anything about them.
  15. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Sierra, you have what my rifle was the prototype to......their designation was Anti Terrorist Counter Sniper Rifle. If your receiver has a cast pin stopping the selector switch from going to the F/A position, good chance you also have a pre-ban M-16. I don't know what the laws are now pertaining to to these parts, but I'd be careful where you took it out to play. That muzzle brake(not a flash hider) is tunable like the Browning Boss system too, another feature Oly was first to come up with.
    Mine had a forward assist, but no shell deflector. The serial # I can't say, Oly had a fire at the factory that destroyed about everything they had.
  16. mikaldulee

mikaldulee New Member

Hey Al Mount...Nice Pig in the background.

I carried an M16A1 and A2. I used it in combat and it never failed me. IMHO...The biggest problem I have found is folks who buy them for the "coolness factor". They fine weapons when cared for properly. I have a good friend who bought one but didn't have a clue that the bolt could be disassembled. It jammed on the range and I had to break it down for him...when I started field stripping the bolt he nearly fainted.

I don't own one...I'm more of an AK guy.
  17. sigguy

sigguy New Member

RRA was varmint but I turned the barrel to .750, jard 2# trigger, and some custom parts.
    3 shots @ 100yds. 69gr sierra bthp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I have a DPMS Panther chambered in .308. It is extremely accurate when cleaned properly. By accurate, I am talking 7 shots inside of a quarter at 100 yards. You HAVE to use a brush to clean it, not just pressurized powder solvent. Break the rifle down and clean it about every 25 rounds to be safe. Push 40 and you will be lucky if the bolt does not jam closed. If you don't use the brush, your accuracy at 100 yds will fit inside an area the size of a soccer ball.....and that is if you can even get the rifle to fire. Without a brush, you can expect stuck cartridge casings and "no hits" from the firing pin. You can also expect the bolt to start jamming closed. I see it happen to guys at the range all the time. Did I happen to mention that you must use a BRUSH to clean the rifle? Brush the chamber, Brush the bore, and then repeat. Oh, I guess I did mention the brush. BRUSH IT, BRUSH IT, BRUSH IT. Sing a "brush it" song if it helps you to remember. Take the time to learn how to break down the rifle to clean it properly. It takes less time to break down the rifle then it does to screw around trying to get a bolt open that is jammed closed. Oh, buy the way, use a brush.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  19. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

LOL at Al Mount's tent pole.
  20. RMT

RMT New Member

They are one of the most accurate semi autos out there, period.