The Firearms Forum banner

Are AR-15's accurate?

56K views 91 replies 59 participants last post by  bntyhntr6975 
#1 ·
I'm about to take the plunge and I want a flat top M-4 Carbine. My question is what kind of accuracy can I expect. I don't expect 1/2" groups at 100 yards, but I'd like to get better than the 4" groups I got with my Mini-14.

Question is this: Can those with experience rank the best to worst of the big producers. I can't afford a Colt, so exclude them please.

I'm leaning towards the Bushmaster or Olympic.

Any help is appreciated.

#77 ·
Answer to the OP's 2007 post: YES

But it depends greatly upon what your idea of accurate is. Seems that most on here define it as such and such sized groups at a certain distance. I don't know if my RRA is capable of that, but it will do what I asked of my M16A2 in the military; hit a human torso sized target at 300 yards with iron sights. It will also nail multiple torso sized targets in rapid succession at up to 50 yards while on the move with the use of a EOTech holo sight. I didn't buy mine for bragging rights at the range (or on the web). I bought mine for survival after the great zombie outbreak occurs, just like every other firearm I own. I am happy with the accuracy of all of them.

I suppose I had better admit bias, though. The AR and M9 platforms will always hold a spot in my heart. They were both there when I needed them the most.

#78 ·
There's a difference between accuracy and precision. Any discussions of accuracy that doesn't specify range is moot. Amost all AR platforms are accurate over their effective range. In other words they are capable of hitting the target out to ranges of approx. 500 yds. I think what most are talking about here is precision. It is repeatability. That is reflected by the size group and to a great extent is controlled by the individual shooter and method of sighting ie. scope, red dot, or iron sights.

But the bottom line is yes the AR is accurate for it's effective range. Is it accurate to 800 yds...NO.

I must add one point: Everything expressed here is my opinion based on my limited experience (shooting the M16 regularly for 2+ years). I don't even own an AR now, though I hope to in the not too distant furture. Nothing I have read or heard from AR owners has convinced me that any one brand is drastically superior to any other..it's all in how you set it up and how well you shoot. JMO.

#79 · (Edited)
Although I know nothing about ARs, my Gun Guru, who is a coworker/friend set some records at 200 and 600 yards when he competed on the Navy Marks. Team. He retired from NAVRES on the team.

He has a Bushmaster, and those dozen (+) Garands which he won as match prizes were probably acquired using the Bush.
M. still competes at Camp Perry.

#80 ·
I LOVE threads like this that get the passions flowing.

But the simple answers are usually the best.

What rifle NOW dominates Camp Perry at 1000 yds?

The AR-15. And YEAH, that is NOT new, and when I heard that YEARS ago I was stunned...not the RIFLE but the CARTRIDGE.

I was an old DCM Garand shooter, and had shot some SWEET M-14 and M-1A Perry and Leg rifles and could never imagine the .308 or .30-06 getting beat at THAT range. Hell when I was at Perry I couldn't even SEE the 1000 yard targets very well, much less HOLD on them!

And can you shoot Prairie Dogs with a 16" Tactical AR-15?

YES, I have a RR 16" HB flattop with chrome barrel and5.56 chamber, standard length gas system and standard non-free floated plastic handguards...I SHOULD have bought a Varmint or a 20" HB at least, but I kinda fell in love with this one and it was a good price....although at my age I need a TACTICAL rifle like I need ANOTHER Mosin!:p

But with a 3x9 Bushnell Sportview on it (NOT a GREAT scope but serviceable and I had it on a Mosin:cool:,) and some range time with 50gr Black Hills, I was shooting just a HAIR over an inch at 100 before I went, and yeah, I popped my share with it from a bench out to about 150, enough that after I finish wr0oking out my SWIFT, I think my NEXT purchase will be a varmint upper for it.....

And it as it was made a nice "walking around" gun when we would go for a walk to check our kills, and I got one with a nice impromtu shot at about 125 prone using the 30 round mag as a monopod. But GOd knows I am getting a little too old for THAT.:p

Plus when I go hunting with my dogs (which is more of an excuse to get them exercise) the LAST time I went I had a coyote come out running 50 yds away...and I WISH I had my AR instead of my 870 with birdshot....I believe my tactical AR would make a GREAT 'yotr gun with the right loads.

SO YEAH, from my opinion from experience, the AR-15 in .223 is ACCURATE. AND "precise" as well if you do your part with practice and with the right loads.

#81 ·
I LOVE threads like this that get the passions flowing.

But the simple answers are usually the best.

What rifle NOW dominates Camp Perry at 1000 yds?

The AR-15. And YEAH, that is NOT new, and when I heard that YEARS ago I was stunned...not the RIFLE but the CARTRIDGE.

I was an old DCM Garand shooter, and had shot some SWEET M-14 and M-1A Perry and Leg rifles and could never imagine the .308 or .30-06 getting beat at THAT range. Hell when I was at Perry I couldn't even SEE the 1000 yard targets very well, much less HOLD on them!

And can you shoot Prairie Dogs with a 16" Tactical AR-15?

YES, I have a RR 16" HB flattop with chrome barrel and5.56 chamber, standard length gas system and standard non-free floated plastic handguards...I SHOULD have bought a Varmint or a 20" HB at least, but I kinda fell in love with this one and it was a good price....although at my age I need a TACTICAL rifle like I need ANOTHER Mosin!:p

But with a 3x9 Bushnell Sportview on it (NOT a GREAT scope but serviceable and I had it on a Mosin:cool:,) and some range time with 50gr Black Hills, I was shooting just a HAIR over an inch at 100 before I went, and yeah, I popped my share with it from a bench out to about 150, enough that after I finish wr0oking out my SWIFT, I think my NEXT purchase will be a varmint upper for it.....

And it as it was made a nice "walking around" gun when we would go for a walk to check our kills, and I got one with a nice impromtu shot at about 125 prone using the 30 round mag as a monopod. But GOd knows I am getting a little too old for THAT.:p

Plus when I go hunting with my dogs (which is more of an excuse to get them exercise) the LAST time I went I had a coyote come out running 50 yds away...and I WISH I had my AR instead of my 870 with birdshot....I believe my tactical AR would make a GREAT 'yotr gun with the right loads.

SO YEAH, from my opinion from experience, the AR-15 in .223 is ACCURATE. AND "precise" as well if you do your part with practice and with the right loads.
Man You had me ! I was right there with you sayin', yes, uh-huh, that's right....and then ya had to go and say ya don't need another Mosin! Dammit Man! Ain't no such thang as to many Mosins!

#82 ·
I don't post here much, but this one caught me. Too bad Gunhugger was so dismissive. I think he might have had a good bit more to add.

AR's are extremely accurate. Barrel length doesn't really matter, quality and good shooting does. Here is from another experiment I did on another forum. I love my little predator gun and can't wait to get home to it (deployed for another 2weeks)

You can find a couple articles with details relating to this here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=564355
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=507874

Hope this simple photo explanation helps.

#87 ·
Thanks! Its a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40mm with mildots.
Nice! I just got me a BSA 8-32x44 with mil-dots and was thinking yours looked alot like it. I put mine on my Rem .270 and so far, I'm liking the scope.
Doubt that I'll ever have groups like you punched! That's flat-out a crazy, wicked group!:)

#88 ·
I like the bigger power scopes, they really help when shooting tite groups. I had a Leupold 4-12 on it but I have been reading how good the reviews are on these Bushnell Elites, so I had to buy one and try it, so far I love it. It is deffinitely doing its job!

#89 ·
As posted, Fritz, you're the King of the off-the-shelf AR's..... I also got the PM you sent re-enforcing your accuracy efforts. When do you hit the championship marksmanship trail?

#90 ·
As posted, Fritz, you're the King of the off-the-shelf AR's..... I also got the PM you sent re-enforcing your accuracy efforts. When do you hit the championship marksmanship trail?
All AR's are parts house guns, the only one that makes there own uppers and lowers are Olympic arms, the rest buy there uppers, lowers, barrels and other parts from various manufactors and put there names on them. They are all built like your AR, peiced together. Bushmaster uses Shaw barrels instead of Krieger.

#92 ·
I think most ARs are accurate enough, for their intended range. Quality ammo plays a big factor. And lets face it, theres alot of junk ammo on the shelves. Its made to go bang, and thats about it. Now and then, you get lucky and find some that works great, in a particular rifle.
I handload almost everything I shoot. That being said, even my DPMS Oracle (nowhere near "top of the line") shoots 1/2" groups at 100yds, off the bipod. Im planning to get a free float handguard sometime, and that should help a little more. Other than a trigger job, its a stock rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.