The Firearms Forum banner

Are CB short and long discontinued?

5K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 · (Edited)
Are .22 CB short and long discontinued? I bought some about 7 years ago and am running low. Nothing around here that I can find.

Thanks!

#5 ·
I'm with GVW on all .22s being discontinued. I went with a friend Saturday to three different gun shops and there was not any kind of .22 to be found. I am afraid this summer is not going to be as much fun as I had hoped. I have enough plinking ammo of different mfg. but I am not well supplied on the target ammo that my 10/22 likes (Wolf Match Target, SK standard plus, and CCI Std. Vel. Target).

#9 ·
Update. Just got an email from our major local gun shop./outdoor store that they have 200 bricks of that Winchester M22 for $37.99/brick one brick per for loyalty customers only. They open at 10:00AM in the morning and I bet that is gone by 10:15 because they have three stores locally and I bet those 200 bricks are divided between the stores. Oh well I got enough plinking stuff, I need the target stuff.

#11 ·
Lacking any locally, I have been ordering it online as I find it. Have bought five bricks of CCI Standard recently, and others. In less than a year, I increased my stocks from less than a thousand (mostly a couple old bulk packs to nearly 10K rounds now. Yes, I am paying more than I feel is fair, and more than I ever thought I would. But I HAVE it now.
If you want it, it is 'out there'......

Reactions: todd51
#12 ·
I'm in a similar situation to BigDog57. In the past, I never bothered to stock up - just got what I wanted when I needed. Or if there was a good sale a Big5, or I wanted to try out different ammos. After not seeing any .22 for years, if I see it for 11 cents a round, I'll buy it. I'm really angry about it, but I'll get it. As a result, I may have overpaid for the 6 bricks I have in case .22 dries up again. $60 for a brick of generic quality bulk ammo that should be $20 fries me. But it seems most of the internet offers from the big national retailers are for pricy specialty ammo.

#13 ·
I do have old boxes of .22Short and .22Long that my late Dad had stashed away. I got his guns and ammo when he passed away. Haven't seen .22Long for sale in decades.

#15 ·
the truth is there is all the 22lr you want for sale right now mail order. not cheap 22 long rifle though. go to gunbot.net and follow the choices for ammo. all you want and if you are smart and persistant you will find it cheap there at the right time and order then. there is 22 shorts on there as well right now. i use it all the time as they built a cabellas here and i have the limit of one box a day to have it shipped to store for no shipping charge. i usually pick up 5 or 6 boxes every 2 weeks,,,,its a no brainer and not a waste of gas.

#16 ·
it is all out there IF you can find it :( started finding some .22 stuff about a yr ago then it dried up AGAIN ,, just have to keep eyes open and look around, there is a gun shop in Sacramento that always seems to have it if you wish to pay 2-3 times normal prices (and for me driving 60 miles) to get it :(

#17 ·
Guys, the OP wants info on .22 shorts, and .22 longs, not .22lr. I've seen a few shorts here, and there. CCI makes "the quite round", it's basically a .22 long @ 710fps with a 40 grain bullet. I buy that anytime I find it, up to the limit they will let me have. This bullet from CCI is the same as the Longs that we used to get. Shorts, and longs are not very popular these days. That's all we used for squirrel hunting when I was growing up. Aguila makes one that is just a squib load @ 310fps. No powder, just primer. CAN NOT BE SHOT IN RIFLES!

#25 ·
I have shot plenty of Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri in rifles. Only ever had one stuck in the barrel, using my tight bored Winchester 75T target rifle.
I commonly shoot them in my old Stevens Model 15 bolt action "Boy's Rifle".
Colibri - about 350 FPS.
Super Colibri - about 550 FPS.
Both very quiet in a singleshot boltie.
The biggest problem shooting any .22Short or Long in a modern .22 rifle is the lighter bullet is not ideal for the rifling rate. Accuracy can suffer. But up close for small varmint shooting it isn't a big problem.

Reactions: carver
#18 · (Edited)
I have not seen any longs in forever. They were a higher velocity round due to a lighter bullet 29gr much like a cci stinger but with the same length brass as the long rifle. Long rifles were mostly 40gr bullets during that time.

I'm not aware of any one making them unless you classify them as a high velocity with a 29gr bullet. correction http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-0761

Shorts are still in production.

#19 ·
Most semi autos won't work with shorts, or longs. I do believe that this is the reason they are not produced like they were at one time. In years gone by, every one had a bolt action rifle, and few folks had semi autos. Times have changed, and now everyone has semi autos, and only a few still hunt with bolt guns. I also believe this is part of the reason that .22 ammo of any kind is hard to find these days!

#21 ·
What do you use as a "dispatch" fire arm, pistol, or revolver?

#22 ·
My choice is a Heritage Arms .22 single action revolver. I can load 3 rounds of shorts and 3 LR. It's easy to index the cylinder to meet the situation. Smaller critters like raccoon and such, only require a short. Saves on fur damage too. Larger animals like coyotes need the more powerful LR. Never needed anything larger than that here in MO.

#28 ·
:eek:
Obviously one must know the ammo and the gun, and take appropriate precautions.[/QUOTE]

Murphy stole his laws from my family. We should be talking about Bryant's laws, not Murphy's laws. I try to follow instructions, because I know what will happen if I don't! :D :eek:

#29 ·
We will agree to disagree then. Not a problem. o_O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.