Are Glocks Safe?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hogger129, Jun 9, 2010.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I've heard about all the exploding Glock 22 .40 S&W guns or that they lack a manual safety. Has anybody ever been re-holstering and snagged the trigger and had a round go off? I mean the XD is pretty similar in design to a Glock to me, but as far as I know the XD has a grip safety.

I mean are Glocks really a good pistol? I mean I know with the proper training and practice, a Glock is just as safe as any. But aren't people a bit skeptical about buying a gun with no other safety than on the trigger? And even at that, I hear their trigger is a really light double-action only.

Not trying to bash on Glock here, but one reason I got a 1911 as my first pistol was for the reason that it has redundant safeties on it. Grip safety, thumb safety and some have the drop safety (firing pin block). And my trigger is a 5lb single-action on my Springfield.

Another reason I ask this is because if Wisconsin ever goes and passes concealed carry, I may want to have a couple other pistols to carry other than my 1911. I have heard from lots of people that carry the Glock, but I am a little questionable about a gun whose only safety is at the trigger and a gun that has trouble supporting rounds like the .40 S&W G22. I almost thought I'd be better served by a Sig Sauer P220 or an H&K USP Compact as a CCW if I want something other than a 1911.
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

glocks grace the holsters of more police than any other handgun would that be the case if they were unsafe ? and they do have a safety , it's a trigger safety . they are no less safe than any other handgun if not used properly. there is a you tube video of a police officer doing a show and tell in front of a class of school age children , that upon reholstering his sidearm shoots his thigh, and yes it was a glock , but does poor handling or improper training make the gun unsafe? is a double action revolver unsafe because it has no saftey? and for the record you can have what is called a New York trigger spring installed. those take a bit more force to pull the trigger
  3. 007bondjamesbond007

007bondjamesbond007 New Member

A trigger safety? Don't think so.
    Beretta 92FS Decocker engaged pull the trigger nothing.
    Walther PPK/S Decocker engaged pull the trigger nothing.
    1911 safety engaged pull the trigger nothing.
    Glock Pull the trigger BANG!!!
    My sister was a nurse at Quantico, Virginia for the DEA and FBI and has treated more shoot the leg from drawing and holstering Glocks. Plaxico Burress had a Glock that went off in his pants.

The Glock safety is only a drop safety as far as I am concerned. Are Glock bad? No Glocks are great guns. You need to use the safety that is between your ears. I feel Glocks are not for new shooters untill get more familer with firearms.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    All though I personally am not a real fan of the Glock pistol, and don't own one, this is what I do know about the Glock. In the mid 80's, Gaston Glock, an Austrian inventor released his model 17 9mm semi-automatic handgun on the market.When the first Glock pistols were released, they were plagued by rumors including the one that stated they could pass undetected through airport metal detectors. They were also rumored to be unsafe. Both of these rumors were totally untrue.The Glock handguns all have three safety mechanisms: 1) the trigger safety, 2) the firing pin safety, and c) the drop safety. The only way a Glock handgun will fire is for the trigger to be pulled fully to the rear. That makes the Glock about as safe as any other gun, IMHO. The greatest safey feature is the one between your ears.
  5. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

on a glock you "pull the trigger and it goes bang" .... isn't that what is suppose to happen ? kind of like a revolver . and the little protrusion in the middle of the trigger is a trigger safety. not being smart enough to holster your weapon properly doesn't make it unsafe it makes you less than knowledgable in the proper use of your gun.
  6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Manual safeties are dangerous. You may disagree. That's fine. You've been wrong before. :D:eek:
  7. Artemus

Artemus New Member

Only unloaded,deactivated handguns are idiot proof.Glocks included.
  8. Ursus

Ursus New Member

I have a friend here whose Glock 33 has "cross-bolt" button safety type on the gun's trigger. It is installed crossing the two levers on the safety. When it is fully to the right, the trigger won't move. You have to push the button with your index (trigger) finger (asuming you're right handed) to make it fire. Anyone has seen this?
  9. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Yes....the gun shop I used to frequently visit. One of the owners had one of these on his Glock. I almost purchased on for mine. It is very similar to the push button safety on most shotguns. Just a simple slide type button, only it is in the trigger assymbly rather than on the trigger guard. It is sold as an assymbly. Remove your stock trigger, replace with the slide lock trigger. WaaLaa....manual safety. Makes it impossible to pull the trigger without pushing it to the side. I think they are around $50? Just did a quick search, these guys sell them along with others. Maybe even Brownell?

http://www.topglock.com/item/68035_Siderlock_Parts_Siderlock_Glock_User_Inst.aspx

There is also a trigger block that can be purchased. As simple block that snaps in behind the trigger. A firm push to the left, the block pops out, and the gun is active. Sold for around $20.

As for the OP....I agree....no more dangerous than a revolver which has been carried for decades before Glock ever existed. Actually safer when you consider the drop 3 way internal striker block.

BTW, I believe the factory trigger pull on most Glocks is about 5-6 lbs. Triggers under 5 pounds are achieved by altering the factory set up
  10. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

Ask the guy who recently shot himself in the Kabonkadonkus when his Glock started to slip down his leg and he tried to stop it...

Actually, that falls under the safety between your ears catagory but it's a fun story!

The safest handgun I've been able to find (and I own one) is an H&K P7. Mine is a P7PSP.
  11. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Are Glocks safe??? What is the FIRST rule of gun safety? I don't own a Glock anymore, but I have owned three, no less or more safe than many others.
    I just never liked the feel, My S&W feels and points better for me. Same basic safety system, BTW.
    One idiot I knew said that a loaded Glock was like carring a 1911 'condition one' without the safety on. Shows some don't understand the mechanism.
  12. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I think part of the reason Glocks have become popular and people have had problems with AD is the trigger isn't like that of a double action revolver. The D/A revolver with a pull of 10-12# plus physically observing the hammer come back usually prevents AD except in the most unobservant brain dead types. Glocks are half of that and simply require more attention to safe handling practices.
  13. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

^^^^^ Pretty much my sentiments. ^^^^^

There has got to be some reason why everytime there is a publicized ND/AD that injurs someone, most of us assume a "Glock" is involved.
    AND
    Most of the time we are correct in our assumtions.

I totally agree; the BEST safety is the one between or ears. Unfortunately, a whole LOT of these safetys are in MAJOR need of repair.

I think there are better/safer "choices" of handguns out there; some of which have been mentioned already.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  14. wingspar

wingspar Member

Glocks are built as tactical weapons and serve that purpose well. The gun has become popular with civilians, and for a good reason, but most seem to expect a manual safety, so many do not understand the Glock trigger safety, or why there is a lack of manual safety away from the trigger. Anyone can have an AD with any gun. Treat your Glock as if it was loaded all the time (wait, aren’t you supposed to be doing that anyway?) And you should be fine.

The Glock 22 is the Glock 17 chambered in .40. Many people blame that on G22 failures saying the frame is too small for .40, but that usually comes after thousands of rounds, if at all. I believe it is a rare occurrence, but it only needs to be posted in an online forum just once to blossom into a full blown problem that should prevent you from purchasing a G22. The exact same thing is true of the Sig Sauer P226 which was originally chambered in 9mm, and later chambered for the .40. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase either gun. I do own a Glock 17, and have never had a problem with the trigger safety, other than the fact that it digs into my trigger finger. I fixed that with some very careful use of a Dremel.

If you want to see a flash demo of the inner workings of a Glock, see this. Just mouse over any of the parts list to see that part in action. Very cool animation.
  15. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

In my opinion they are just as safe as anyother hand gun.
    External safeties should not be relied on, because if you don't set it to safe then it is no good. Every gun should be treated as if it were loaded, and rule number one is to make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction.

If the first rule in gun safety were always followed, then there would never be any so called gun accidents.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  16. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

No - Glocks are unsafe.....

send them my way and I'll make sure to keep them safe for anyone concered about their safety. :D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ( ok, I'll admit, I'm in a kinda smarta** mood tonight )

Real answer:

Even though I'm not a fan of Glocks, they just don't fit me well, I have no doubt that they're very functional and reliable weapons. They're just like cars, women and pit smokers - You have to know and understand what you've got and how to use it !! I like revolvers and Sigs - NONE of which have ANY manual safeties. Decock and double action are 100% OK with me as I practice and continually study how to handle each gun that I own. Each indivudual gun is going to have it's +/- and be better suited for a particular scenario. Figure out what is most likely for you and buy accordingly, then stock up on ammo and practice, practice, practice!
  17. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Real answer:

Even though I'm not a fan of Glocks, they just don't fit me well, I have no doubt that they're very functional and reliable weapons. They're just like cars, women and pit smokers - You have to know and understand what you've got and how to use it !! I like revolvers and Sigs - NONE of which have ANY manual safeties. Decock and double action are 100% OK with me as I practice and continually study how to handle each gun that I own. Each indivudual gun is going to have it's +/- and be better suited for a particular scenario. Figure out what is most likely for you and buy accordingly, then stock up on ammo and practice, practice, practice![/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, I totally agree with woolly. I spent 35 years in law enforcement.......long enough to go from a Colt Police Positive, (that should tell you how long ago I started) thru a couple of Smith wheel guns, thru the change to the Smith 39/59 series autos, and, for the last 5 years of duty.....a Glock 21. I like good revolvers, I'm not a fan of polymer, or even alloy framed firearms, I like steel. That said, I trusted my fanny (and my partner's butt also) to the Glock for 5 years, when I could have carried another weapon. (What can I say...it was the only .45 caliber authorized for duty carry) Personally, I never liked to cary a Dept. issued firearm...I generally bought my own, but the Glock was issued. Biggest thing is to KNOW YOUR WEAPON! Understand it, and, like a lady....be intimately familiar with it. Practice with it.....a lot!. The safety factors of any modern firearm lie in YOUR hands and between YOUR ears, no matter what gizmo's are stuck on/in it. JMHO. Mike
    P.S. My Smith auto is an all steel Mod 539, and I still have it, along with an old Smith M-36 and one special Smith M-24. All were carried either on duty or off.
  18. SigP250

SigP250 New Member

Take a look at the Sig Sauer P250 I think you will find a really safe Pistol.
    www.sigsauer.com There is a very good write up on the P250 in the
    December 2008 American Rifleman Magazine. Not only is this the
    transformer of all pistols but it has no safety & is DA only. Also there is
    no danger of it not showing up at the Airport.

You may well be reading about our new Pistol for the Military & LE + use by
    anyone who wants a Full size, Compact, & Subcompact. In 9mm, 40mm, 357 Sig
    45ACP all with 1 permit to purchase needed.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  19. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

A local school resource officer was showing high school kids his Glock when upon reholstering it fired, scattering debris towards students. This incident was in the local news but wasn't captured by any video. I don't know what poor practice he used but the moral of the story is that a proper manual safety would likely have prevented the accident. I have several firearms which lack a manual safety but their trigger pull is long and very deliberate. A Glock's pull is much more easy. Are they inherently unsafe?... No, I don't believe that but I do believe they're EASIER to accidentally discharge if not handled properly.
  20. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

If you are afraid of the gun blowing up, any ammo with bad or improper (excessive) loads can blow a gun up.