Are Glocks Safe?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by hogger129, Jun 9, 2010.

1. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Not to be a smart alek, but it sounds like you read a lot...
  2. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

+1!

VERY. SIMPLE. CONCEPT.

Why isn't anyone jumping on revolvers? Good Lord, look how many of those things are out there and how long they have been around. They have NO mechanical safety. It's a wonder people are not having ADs by the hundreds every day.:rolleyes:
  3. Cavik

Cavik New Member

Glocks are said to have much lighter and smoother trigger pulls than DA revolvers. Might be why.
  4. noslolo

noslolo New Member

I was taught the the safety is sitting on your shoulders and if you keep the booger picker off of the boom stick, you will be fine.
  5. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

It's a humorous comparison. The simple rule of keeping your finger off of the trigger applies to both.

It's just amazing to see someone who knows nothing about Glocks attack them for "having no safety" and rant about how "dangerous" they are when Glocks have 3 built-in safeties (besides the one in your head). Yet DA revolvers truely have NO safeties.

I've always maintained that if someone is too dumb to absorb the simple concept of NOT TOUCHING the trigger until ready to fire, then they either need to get a gun with as many safeties as possible, or consider getting rid of their guns before an accident happens.

If someone cannot be trusted to keep their finger off the trigger until ready to fire after being told numerous times, how are they to be trusted to use a manual safety?

Manual safeties are not the be-all-end-all. They are NOT to be trusted. They are simply an added precaution (which NEVER EVER replaces proper training and techniques). Would you chamber a round, place the safety to "safe", point it at your head and pull the trigger?

NO.

Not only would you have broken several rules, but deep down you would not trust that blessed manual safety.
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I personally prefer a thumb safety on a semi auto. I also prefer steel frames. That doesn't mean for the right purposes I wouldn't carry a Glock or XD if otherwise suitable. The bottom line though is that many law enforcement agencies issue Glocks. They can't all be wrong.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Is a Glock safe? Well, I suppose it depends which side of the gun you're standing on. :D
  8. flyboyvet

flyboyvet New Member

I agree with you on that. This clown friend of mine shot his pinky off with his Glock and now he says they are unsafe and he is getting a gun with a manual safety! I told him that even with a manual safety he would still have shot himself because he was being careless with his gun. He said he was just cleaning it and when he put it back together and pulled the trigger there was a round in the chamber!! WHAT??? I'm thinking he was under the influence...either drugs/alcohol or a few too many shots of STUPIDITY...
  9. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

... This CLOWN friend of mine shot his pinky off with his Glock and now he says they are unsafe and he is getting a gun with a manual safety! I told him that even with a manual safety he would still have shot himself because he was BEING CARLESS WITH HIS GUN. He said he was just cleaning it and when he put it back together and pulled the trigger there was a ROUND IN THE CHAMBER!! WHAT??? I'm thinking he was under the influence...either drugs/alcohol or a few too many shots of STUPIDITY...[/QUOTE]

I think the capitialized words are where he went wrong.
  10. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Glocks have 3 safety's a trigger safety,firing pin safety and a drop safety.They are all redundant.I find that most of the people that talk down the glock had never had one let alone even held one.If you practice basic gun safety you will never have a problem period.
  11. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

Really I just thought glocks were for shooting bullets I didnt know the sucked too.Do you pay extra for that feature?
  12. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Ruger pointed out around 1973 (when they left the original Colt SA design for their new "transfer bar" firing design) that there had been a long (100 years plus) history of accidents involving Colt's design that could only be carried safely when carried with the hammer all the way down on an empty chamber.

Ruger went on to say that some persons expected a gun to be completely safe; and that there was no such thing as a completely safe gun.

Persons who are, by nature, careless or have little common sense; should avoid interaction with all firearms.
  13. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I just don't have a round in the chamber of ANY of my guns unless I expect to need it. I've been doing that for many years now, and there have been times when I did need to chamber a round. If you have time for ANY manipulation of your gun, like taking it off of manual safety, you have that very same time to rack the slide. It's funny, what thinking can do for a man.
  14. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ha, ha, ha. Words of wisdom.
  15. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Stealing that for my signature. Thanks, josh. :D
  16. Wolf 5.7

Wolf 5.7 New Member

I had a Glock 22, and I never felt unsafe. It was the first pistol my son shot. I have since sold it, mainly because the slide pinched my hand from time to time. It is the only firearm I have ever owned that has pinched me. So in that regard yes, Glocks are unsafe.

As far as the Glock 22 blowing up, I read the warning and never ran anything hot in it, and inspected the weapon after cleaning it each time (I do that with all of my guns). I never saw any signs of damage, but I never felt safe enough with it to risk anything spicy.

As far as glock's having accidental discharge and no safety, well each and every gun comes with the ultimate safety. Your noggin. If you use that, and know what your gun can and can't do, every gun is safe. I holstered my G22 many times and it never went off. I even dropped it once, it banged back of the slide first, and nothing happened, so in that regard Glock's are as safe as everyone else.
  17. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll find the lack of a "safety" to be anything more than your state of mind. I carry a Sig 226, a gun with no external "safety". If I've used the decocker, the gun will not shoot if you drop it or the like, but it will always go bang if loaded and you pull the trigger. Point being, if it's emergency time, you don't want to worry about a safety. I say state of mind as; it won't go off unless YOU pull the trigger. Trigger get snagged on something? Don't let it get snagged, and it won't shoot. Any gun is unsafe if handled unsafely.
  18. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

I am primarily a wheel gun guy, but I sometimes carry my Glock 21. I also carry a backup LCP. I also use an instamatic camera. I like them because they all operate the same. Point and shoot. Is the Glock unsafe it depends on which end of the gun you are standing on when it goes bang.