Are material suppliers subject to any firearm regulations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zergcerebrates, Aug 7, 2012.

1. zergcerebrates

zergcerebrates New Member

Hi, I visited the ATF website but couldn't find what I'm looking for and I need to submit a letter since they won't accept emails to my answer so I thought I give it a try here hopefully for faster results. Does anybody on this forum here know if material suppliers to a gun manufacturer subject to any firearm regulation, is it classified as a weapons supplier or any license require to conduct the business? Basically the material supplier doesn't do any design just supplying the materials to make the gun.
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

What's to regulate? A chunk of steel?? (Or a barrel of powdered metal, as the case may be.)

I suppose I should add if the supplier is supplying finished receivers, etc., yes, they are regulated....
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Why are you giving BATF ideas ?

If you think new guns are expensive, posit what would happen if the mfgs' suppliers had to document their products. BTDTGTTS ! We'll be paying for offices of file clerks handling just the paperwork ! Then there's the secure warehouses needed to store/control the material coupons forever ! There's the "transfer of custody" paperwork involved in the shipping/delivery to the product mfg and its enroute security ! IOW, we don't want to go here ! >MW
  4. medalguy

medalguy Member

Short answer: NO.