Are silencers Legal?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by joseph2213, Apr 1, 2005.

1. joseph2213

joseph2213 New Member

I would like a .22 silencer. is that legal and where can i get one that is made of a high quality.

Thanks................
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

NO - - -

Silencers are illegal on any weapon regardless of calibre!!!!!!

The FEDERAL Law is clear on this point.
  3. HappyNanoq

HappyNanoq New Member

Lives in the northern Jutland, which is where I gr
    Hold your horses..

Silencers are obtainable, but only after jumping through some ATF Class III hoops.

Call your local (by state) Class III dealer and get the papers needed for this.

You will find there is a 200$ fee to apply for this permission.
    You will need a clean record and I believe your police-chiefs signature on the permission-application.

First after approval, will you be able to order/buy a silencer.
    It's a long process and there are many hoops - but find a Class III dealer first and ask there.
  4. z537z

z537z New Member

I'm unsure of the legality, so don't try this without doing a little research...

But you can make your own .22 silencer with a Maglight.
    pics: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=19534

This is a link to Happy Nanoq's post, he'll likely know about the laws regarding this sort of thing...
    Check out NRA.com for gun laws in your state and federal laws...very comprehensive stuff that's useful to know.

_z
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

My post was made for 9,999 out of 10,000 persons, the average every day shooter like most of us.

Jumping through the Class III hoops, practically and cost wise, is NOT for the average shooter. Remember that the Class III hoops are the same as for a fully automatic Machine gun type rifle or hand gun.

Also, z537z, the silencer built by Happy is not for the ordinary shooter unless he lives in Denmark or another country without the restrictions. The Mag-Lite unit is a silencer by definition and BATF would love to persecute anyone who tries.....

If they'll pick on people who are perfectly legal, known to do so in several diverse areas not as "bad" as a silencer, and persecute them to the nth degree - - -

just think of the ball/brawl they would have on someone trying this stunt - - - W/o the Class III hoops.
  6. HappyNanoq

HappyNanoq New Member

Lives in the northern Jutland, which is where I gr
    Yes you can manufacture your own silencer legally in the US (as far as I heard it)

But you still need to apply for permission and pay the tax-stamp of $200,-.

You can make ONE silencer on that permission - if it wears out, you can't replace it. and building a new silencer will, in regards to the law, make you a manufacturer.
    That is another and more expencive tax-stamp. I can't remember the amount, but it wasn't just $200.

I don't live in the US - so I know only what I've read on the forums I attend at.

So far I know, you need to apply for a Silencer at the local ATF-office.
    That includes a mandatory $200 tax-stamp and you won't get the permission unless you're got a pristine record.
    The form is to be filled out and signed by you - and also signed by the local sheriff/policechief or whoever they delegate that responsibility to.

The application can take anywhere from 2-6 months to go through - even longer.

If you deside to make your own silencer - do NOT start before you have the permission in hand.

If you're in posession of a silencer without permit - it is at least 10 years in federal prison, possibly a fine and naturally a confiscation of your guns, silencerparts.

On top of that - you can't ever legally own a gun anymore.
    Those privileges are revoked.

At least that is the most accurate I know of US legislation on silencers/supressors.

They're NOT illegal - you can own them in some states, but only through a thorough screening and payment of a tax-stamp.

Once you get the permission - don't buy the cheap ones, if it breaks, you can't just replace it with a new one.
    It's a whole new application.process and tax-stamp.
  7. Keola

Keola New Member

Currently Springfield, VA. Soon to be back home i
    I agree with HappyNanoq. I went ot the Dulles, Va Gun Show and ran into a vendor that sell silencers. My buddy inquired about it and the information that HappyNanoq submitted is right along the same lines as what we were told. I guess it would be cool to have one, but sometimes the trouble is just not worth it.
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Yes, they are Legal, under US law; not always so, under state and local rules. which are further confused by the fact that an 'anti-gun' Chief Law Enforcement Official (call him Cleo), may refuse to sign off on your Form 1, or Form 4, even though there is not REASON in law, for him not to sign off.
    They are also a bit expensive; as has been previously noted, there is a $200 making tax, if you build one you can never sell, or a $200 transfer tax, to buy an already registered supressor.
    In addition, should you go through the forms, the wait, the fingerprint cards, and all the rest of the bullshit, pay the tax, everything: When you decide to move, across town, to another state, whatever, you must go through most of it again!
    Because it's legal in San Antonio, does not make it so in Austin, 75 miles away, because you're dealing with a different city, and a different Cleo- remember Him???
    I firmly believe the French got at least one thing right- They punish the workman, not the tool, for a bad job. My understanding is that in France, a supressor is no more a big deal than the weapon(s) to which it may be attatched, which makes sense! If I supress a .22 rifle, and shoot pests in my garden, I'm simply being considerate to my neighbors. Should I use the same combination to commit a crime, justice is swift, and harsh. Also makes sense!
    We're not in France, so, back to the topic, ask a Class III dealer on YOUR BLOCK, what the scoop is; he is the most familiar, on the ins and outs, where you live.
  9. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Forget the silencers and just buy you some CCI CB longs. They are very quit in a rifle,but they do not work in semi-autos. I have tried them and they sound like an air rifle.
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Quieter than an airgun, in my Win 52, compared to a spring piston Haenel M312 air rifle; far more effective on vermin, to 25 yds or so, as well.
    I know the cci CB Longs will kill a 80 pound ferral dog, at that range, with one clean head shot, and not disturb the neighbors.
  11. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Roger that on the CB's - Feral Cats, the other white meat....."Meow", PHHHTT!, Thud.
  12. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

ROTFLMAO! :D :D :D :D :D
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

45's gotten it a little wrong; ferral cats are not 'the other' white meat; they taste like moldy chicken! Now, ferral hogs, on the other hand, equally subject to sudden demise, in the dark, by intercourse with a small bit of lead, are the real deal; just like store bought pork, but FREE!
  14. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

You guys are making me hungry.
  15. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Never seen/met a white meated feral hog/pig......when I do???? Could it taste any better??????

LTS