Are silencers Legal?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by joseph2213, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan New Member

Ever thunk that Marlins post was a joke/exaggeration. However, it IS illegal to get/own one without having a current and valid Class III License. That is, getting a $xxx.xx license, a $200 stamp, and the price of the silencer, plus the time it takes for clearing and shipping.
  2. Tanker301: Abusive language and flaming are NOT permitted on TFF under any circumstances. If you cannot abide by that rule, then I suggest you find a different forum where such behavior is allowed. Any further posts of the type I just deleted may result in discontinuance of your membership in TFF. Please consider this a formal warning.
  3. Adam5

Adam5 New Member

There is no license needed to own,possess, or use class III weapons. All there is are the ATF hoops, an the $200 and or $5 tax stamp, depending on what type of toy it is. A class III license is only needed for transfering or making class III devices.
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Bwahahahahahahahahaahahahah... My wife didn't find that funny though... :eek::D:p
  5. Tomygun

Tomygun New Member

joseph 2213, I hope I don't see another response to your question with an uneducated reply. Once the Fed. tax stamp is approved for the specific suppressor you may then purchase it through an approved dealer. As you know this cost $200 from the BATF. You may assemble it to any firearm that is adapted to it. They work to reduce noise as intended so long as you follow the paperwork instructions. Mine is a Tactical Innovations. Inc. I am close to deaf from a lifetime of shooting without one. No one with a brain will commit a crime with one of these. Spend the tax dollars and buy what you want for the caliber you shoot and you will forever thank yourself. Just my oppinion, Tomygun
  6. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

legal to own in wash state illegal to shoot, figgure that out.
  7. ultramag44

ultramag44 New Member

Honestly, I personally have zero need for a silencer. But for those who do (or think they do), consider this...

Here is another very good reason to NOT go through all the rig-a-marole of obtaining permission to get a silencer:

It brings your name right into the radar! Who thinks once permission is gained, that you will just be "forgotten" about? Fat chance! That man's name is now on a list. Just like Santa's list, the ATF list gets checked...alot, a whole lot.
  8. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Tommygun may have a point, but given that we are talking about 22 cal, you can buy a TRUCKLOAD of CB longs for the cost involved in purchasing a silencer.
  9. ruger22com

ruger22com New Member

about 1 in 5 guys at my range own LEGAL silencers and about 1 in 10 owns a LEGAL full auto weapon. they ain't cheap (I have been saving up for a cheap .45 cal grease gun...they start around $5,000...AR-15's are triple that or more),
    but anybody who can pass a nics purchase test can own one. you just need to go through a class III dealer and pay the $200 stamp tax.
    silenced 22's are great for varmit shooting...and needless to say, full auto's are a trip!
    go to pascagouladmc.com if you like. it is my gunclub's site, and there are many movies with sound of members shooting both full autos and silanced weapons too.
    -Bob
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Ponycar, that was not a typo! (ref your 11-26 post)
    It was indeed a ferral dog, one that plagued the neighborhood for more than a year.
    At the point that he appeared in my front yard, and literally picked up and ran with the Girlfriend's little Cocker Spaniel, across my yard, across the neighbor's yard, down the side of the second yard, and into the creek behind, he had crossed the line.
    I gave chase, and, as he dropped the little dog, and put a forepaw on it, I kicked him hard enough to lift his 80 body, about three feet in the air; I weigh 155#, but came into him running 'full tilt'. Recovered the Spaniel, and returned to the house.
    He (the big dog) , had used my yard many times in the past, as his 'bedroom', sleeping on the back lawn, often. So I moved a rifle to the back door, anticipating an early morning shot.
    24 December, a couple of years ago, all in the house but me, asleep, I walked to the patio door, and see I have company, chamber a CB Long, in the 52, and pull the door open, a bit, with my toe, the rifle already mounted: of course he heard the door move, startled, and looked staight at me; (pop), and he folded, on the spot, dead when he hit the ground.
    Ran a wet patch, then two dry ones, thru the bore, put the rifle back in the safe, bagged the dog, in a dogfood bag, and hauled him to the curb, with the rest of my trash, for pickup.
    Then I went back to bed.
    I live in a 3 Br house, with about 1100 square feet of floor, so everything is kinda close together, yet nobody woke, the 80 pound ferral DOG, was telling St Peter his sad story, and the neighborhood is losing many fewer small pets.
    Remington delivers a 'powerful enough' pest control round, in their CB Long, to have earned my loyalty; it truly is quieter than my 'Spring Piston' air rifle!
    Back to topic, silencers, if some of you are as cheap as me, understand this; If you buy a 'machine gun', you do the Form 1, wait on BATFE, pay for the weapon, plus, a $200 Tax Stamp; Ditto, for a Silencer.
    If, however, you wish to buy a 'Surpressed Machine gun', there's only one Form 1 to fill out, only one wait, and only one $200 Tax Stamp, so long as the 'Machine Gun' was initially a 'integrally surpressed weapon' like the HK MP-5, etc, so give this some thought, if it is appropriate!
    See, even the BATFE has 'sales'. Buy one, get one free!
    Happy Holidays!
  11. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

ultramag if you have used an ffl your on the list already why would the gov collect info if you think they dont keep it your nuts.
  12. tiltojm

tiltojm New Member

Suppersors and Machine Guns aren't very hard to purchase. People make it out to be more than it really is or they simple belive they are illegal. With a little homework, anybody can see that any NFA item is perfectly legal to own by anyone who can legally own a firearm, as long as state or local law does not prohibit it. There is no Class III lisence to own or make a silencer, if you are making one for yourself. If you buy a silencer, and use a trust, you do not even have to deal with the CLEO, no finger prints, and no passport photos. The wait is normaly not as long either.

Some of the people on this site giving advice on things like this should know the facts before they make statements that are not true.
  13. chipmechanic

chipmechanic New Member

I used the trust route went I sent in the Form 1 for the silencer for my Yugoslavian RPK . No fingerprints or pictures or background check or CLEO signoff. I just got a copy of Quicken will maker and entered in some information about my beneficiaries and created a revocable living trust. Its essentially a will but to the ATF it carries all the legal rights of a corporation. The only thing I included as assets of the trust are a few firearms and I can add or remove items at will. I took it to Kinko's, got it notarized and sent a copy of the trust into the ATF with my filled out Form1 to build a silencer along with a check for $200. Took the better part of 2 hours to do the paperwork, drive down to the kinkos and fill out the form 1. Big Freakin' Deal. Once I get the approved form back I'll add the silencer to the trust property amendment and start to put one together.
  14. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Hey guys;

I have been a class111 dealer for 30 years (1978). I own and sell full auto weapons as well as silencers. I carry a few supressors in a part of the store so they are readily available. BTW. I believe one of the best on the market today for silencer is made in Phoenix AZ by AWC near the Deer Valley airport. He makes the silencers for the spec ops people and I have one for both my 10/22 and my ruger MK stainless 22 pistol. Both are super quiet and very easy to maintain.

It is no big deal to get one or to fill out the paper-work.
    We send ours to the Sheriff for his approval, (it used to be our Atty Gen) and after about a month we send it to the feds for their approval and the "stamp".

Once we have those things you are free to take it and have a ball.
    I also have full auto firearms for rent in my range and have never had a problem.

Of all class111 firearms transactions I have conducted for people over all these years I am not aware of ANYONE having trouble with the law as a result.

I think a lot of the problems we hear about are someones' mind running amuk.

But it is true that not all areas are the same so you need to check with the top law enforcement official in your area to see what is necessary or IF it is legal to own where you are.
    Why is that so tough? And by federal law it IS the top law enforcement official in your area who first has to sign off on your transfer prior to it going with another set of fingerprints to the feds. So that person alone should have your answers although they sometimes act like you are pulling one of their teeth to give out the info.

But really, it is quite simple and the fun is beyond any hassle with paper-work necessary.

Hope this helps. If anyone has questions, PM me or email and I will try to help.
    I am no authority but have been doing it for a while and am at least familiar with the proceedures.

UF
  15. pukste

pukste New Member

Seems like it depends where you live. I've silenced my pistols 9mm .22 and my .30 cal rifle. But it's because I live in Europe and in my country usage of silencers is legal and they don't cost more than 40-250 dollars
  16. 94z07

94z07 New Member

.22 rifle + 24" bbl + CBs = silent shooting with no hoops.

(39a for exmple.)
  17. SteyrAUG

SteyrAUG New Member

That's funny. I make my living selling them LEGALLY.

;)

Quality ones can be found here:

http://www.gem-tech.com/
  18. SteyrAUG

SteyrAUG New Member

Same as if you get a carry permit. No big deal.
  19. Alamo

Alamo New Member

I have also gone the Trust route--not a big deal, and avoids a lot of the hassle. Once your send in your Form 4, along with the other paperwork to BATF&E, get ready to wait. However, you can call them ( VERY pleasant folks, by the way ), give them the serial number of your peice ( suppressor ), and they will tell you what stage in the review process it is.
    I happen to live in Texas, which is quite tolerant of ownership of suppressors, even carrying one as long as you have the necessary CHL and Federal " Stamp " in your possession, if your so inclined.
    As concerns " Big Brother " knowing who owns what---trust me, they know every time a law abiding citizen fills out the form(s) to buy any weapon. It's the Bad Guys who they DON'T know about--right?
  20. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Personaly if there is a need for a silencer then you're to close.