Are silencers Legal?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by joseph2213, Apr 1, 2005.

1. torpedoman

torpedoman New Member

ultramag if you have used an ffl your on the list already why would the gov collect info if you think they dont keep it your nuts.
  2. tiltojm

tiltojm New Member

Suppersors and Machine Guns aren't very hard to purchase. People make it out to be more than it really is or they simple belive they are illegal. With a little homework, anybody can see that any NFA item is perfectly legal to own by anyone who can legally own a firearm, as long as state or local law does not prohibit it. There is no Class III lisence to own or make a silencer, if you are making one for yourself. If you buy a silencer, and use a trust, you do not even have to deal with the CLEO, no finger prints, and no passport photos. The wait is normaly not as long either.

Some of the people on this site giving advice on things like this should know the facts before they make statements that are not true.
  3. chipmechanic

chipmechanic New Member

I used the trust route went I sent in the Form 1 for the silencer for my Yugoslavian RPK . No fingerprints or pictures or background check or CLEO signoff. I just got a copy of Quicken will maker and entered in some information about my beneficiaries and created a revocable living trust. Its essentially a will but to the ATF it carries all the legal rights of a corporation. The only thing I included as assets of the trust are a few firearms and I can add or remove items at will. I took it to Kinko's, got it notarized and sent a copy of the trust into the ATF with my filled out Form1 to build a silencer along with a check for $200. Took the better part of 2 hours to do the paperwork, drive down to the kinkos and fill out the form 1. Big Freakin' Deal. Once I get the approved form back I'll add the silencer to the trust property amendment and start to put one together.
  4. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

Hey guys;

I have been a class111 dealer for 30 years (1978). I own and sell full auto weapons as well as silencers. I carry a few supressors in a part of the store so they are readily available. BTW. I believe one of the best on the market today for silencer is made in Phoenix AZ by AWC near the Deer Valley airport. He makes the silencers for the spec ops people and I have one for both my 10/22 and my ruger MK stainless 22 pistol. Both are super quiet and very easy to maintain.

It is no big deal to get one or to fill out the paper-work.
    We send ours to the Sheriff for his approval, (it used to be our Atty Gen) and after about a month we send it to the feds for their approval and the "stamp".

Once we have those things you are free to take it and have a ball.
    I also have full auto firearms for rent in my range and have never had a problem.

Of all class111 firearms transactions I have conducted for people over all these years I am not aware of ANYONE having trouble with the law as a result.

I think a lot of the problems we hear about are someones' mind running amuk.

But it is true that not all areas are the same so you need to check with the top law enforcement official in your area to see what is necessary or IF it is legal to own where you are.
    Why is that so tough? And by federal law it IS the top law enforcement official in your area who first has to sign off on your transfer prior to it going with another set of fingerprints to the feds. So that person alone should have your answers although they sometimes act like you are pulling one of their teeth to give out the info.

But really, it is quite simple and the fun is beyond any hassle with paper-work necessary.

Hope this helps. If anyone has questions, PM me or email and I will try to help.
    I am no authority but have been doing it for a while and am at least familiar with the proceedures.

UF
  5. pukste

pukste New Member

Seems like it depends where you live. I've silenced my pistols 9mm .22 and my .30 cal rifle. But it's because I live in Europe and in my country usage of silencers is legal and they don't cost more than 40-250 dollars
  6. 94z07

94z07 New Member

.22 rifle + 24" bbl + CBs = silent shooting with no hoops.

(39a for exmple.)
  7. SteyrAUG

SteyrAUG New Member

That's funny. I make my living selling them LEGALLY.

;)

Quality ones can be found here:

http://www.gem-tech.com/
  8. SteyrAUG

SteyrAUG New Member

Same as if you get a carry permit. No big deal.
  9. Alamo

Alamo New Member

I have also gone the Trust route--not a big deal, and avoids a lot of the hassle. Once your send in your Form 4, along with the other paperwork to BATF&E, get ready to wait. However, you can call them ( VERY pleasant folks, by the way ), give them the serial number of your peice ( suppressor ), and they will tell you what stage in the review process it is.
    I happen to live in Texas, which is quite tolerant of ownership of suppressors, even carrying one as long as you have the necessary CHL and Federal " Stamp " in your possession, if your so inclined.
    As concerns " Big Brother " knowing who owns what---trust me, they know every time a law abiding citizen fills out the form(s) to buy any weapon. It's the Bad Guys who they DON'T know about--right?
  10. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Personaly if there is a need for a silencer then you're to close.
  11. islenos

islenos New Member

Dogs and Cats are great as long as you have a little flour to make some gravy.

For those that believe buying a can will put you on the national radar:

I believe that every one of us is already on a national list.

Personally I bought M1's from CMP (fingerprinted), Had a C&R lic.(fingerprinted), Join the United States Misguided Children (figerprinted)and Purchased tons of ammo from various Internet sources that can be raided at any minute and have their customer list seized.

So when it comes down to it, we are all on a list, in one way or another.
  12. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    YES! there LEGAL in the UK:D:D:D:D Just can't own the guns :(:(:(:(:(
  13. ruger1022man

ruger1022man New Member

i have a question about address changes, i hear you have ten days to give atf written address changes with new addresses. Question is are P O boxes ok, i just bought a boat and will be living aboard for some time. I could use the physical address of the marina as well as the p o box. i keep my suppressor at the bank in a safe deposit box which i could also include the address of. Does anyone know if this is feasible?
  14. mopo

mopo New Member

I don't get the people here who don't see any use for a silencer. I certainly hope I never have to kill anybody, but if a couple of bums come into my house I want to shoot the first one and still be able to hear the other one sneaking around.

I don't think hearing protection is practical in a home defense situation and shooting without usually deafens me for 10 seconds at least. I don't know that it's worth the effort and price, but if they were readily available I would certainly own one.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I donno. Just like I would not use my Diana-grade Browning shotgun for home defense, I would not use my NFA items. And for the same reason. Shoot someone and the police will take it. It is evidence. It will be in the evidence locker until the trial comes along (or you are no-billed). While it is there, if it is a really neat gun, everybody that can will fingerbang it. If at all possible, they will take it out and shoot it. You get your gun back, eventually, dirty and covered with rusty fingerprints.

Probably some of those electronic earmuffs would be better for home protection. With them on you can hear your dog growling. You can hear your kid whimpering in the other room. And you can hear the bad guy sneaking up the stairs. But when you shoot, they shut down, and you don't lose your hearing. Then they open back up and you can hear the bad guy thrashing around and screaming in agony. :D